PDA

View Full Version : Trying to buy my firs house.

choijw2
06-27-2016, 04:31 PM
I am looking into buying a townhouse and main reason I want this house is because I can walk to grocery, gym, restaurants and bars in suburb area.
and still have decent 2 car garage.

but also scared of facing some conflicts with neighbors because such a tight area, not much of privacy.

So does anyone do detailing business our of your own townhouse?
if so do you face any issues doing so?

swanicyouth
06-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Just went through this, but my situation was different.

1. I don't detail for dollars.

2. I WAS living in a rental townhouse.

Buy a single home with no "association" group to tell you what you can and can't do. I suspect you be be a lot happier. I know I am.

Not having to share a wall, parking, land, etc... with someone else is truly priceless.

Not having to worry about if I am going to get in trouble for washing or detailing my car is priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dmb5450
06-27-2016, 07:25 PM
I don't detail for a living either, but I can say when I bought my house a year and a half ago I had to sign papers stating that I knew and understood that my house was not legally able to conduct a business out of. I'm not sure how strict this is enforced, but the terms stated if I was caught violating this my mortgage would be void and due in full. I would make sure your realtor is clear you need a home that can conduct a business.

GenesisCoupe
06-27-2016, 07:26 PM
You can't have a home based business and perform work on your driveway.. There are bylaws and if you violate them, the association will fine you. This is not for all associations however.

So before you buy, get the bylaws and read carefully.

Source; Live in townhome, owned a detailing business, and currently on association board of directors.

2black1s
06-27-2016, 07:48 PM
I'd be very hesitant to buy anywhere that had association rules to contend with. Even if you can live with the rules as they now exist, they are always subject to change.

Belair
06-28-2016, 12:09 AM
^^ Agreed. The HOA I'm in has been always ruled by a Board and committees of uneducated busybody housewives who want to control everyone but themselves. Buy into a neighborhood without an HOA where you'll have the freedom to live as you want. Answering to morons is not fun.

Rmd
06-28-2016, 01:42 AM
Is there an HOA? I didn't see that in the OP. If so, heed the above comments. Read the CC&R's first.

BillE
06-28-2016, 06:48 AM
Is there an HOA? I didn't see that in the OP. If so, heed the above comments. Read the CC&R's first.

Great point!

HOA can mean a "fight," CC&R's can mean a legal hassle.

Good luck in wherever you decide to move.

Bill

FUNX650
06-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Due to unknown circumstances,
at this time...There's always the
chance that you may have to
relocate in the future.

With that in mind:
The best value for resale is
in single family homes.

Bob

choijw2
06-28-2016, 12:14 PM
3901 Fish Pond Ln, Glen Allen, VA 23060 | MLS #1614784 | Zillow (http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/house,condo,townhouse_type/111036160_zpid/2-_beds/2-_baths/15000-380000_price/53-1339_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/37.676858,-77.566009,37.628746,-77.660594_rect/13_zm/0_mmm/)

This house is my first choice.
Easy access to highway, you can walk to grocerries, restaurants, gym, park, ice cream, and a lot more to offer, kinda like living in downtown.
This town house is great, but they do have pretty strick HOA, and garages are all in the back facing other houses,
although I do have many friends here so very familiar with that area, but never had issues working on cars, washing etc.

also I am 26 old single and thought this would be great place to rent it out and save money on mortgage.

So I found some single houses like 5 mins away, about 50k cheaper, no HOA, 2 min driving to kroger, mall and etc....
Maybe I should reconsider and invest in single house for future. Now I know what it means "you will never find the one perfect house that fits all your wishes"

Currently staying with my parents untill I pull the trigger and it is great to have back yard (I built some raised garden, farming bunch of vegis).

Sorry guys, Im just in a lot of conflicts...
also as someone who grew up in big city, walked everywhere, not being able to go anywhere without a car drives me crazy lol

oldmodman
06-28-2016, 03:48 PM
The original deed on my house is from 1927 and it came into my family in 1938. My house that I use as my office is next door and was built in 1926. Same weird deed and no HOA.

The deed states that we cannot sell the house to "Coloreds, Chinamen, or the Irish"

I bet that's no longer enforceable. And all the houses sold since 1978 have a "HOA" attached to the property. They have been trying to get me to join and when I laugh in their faces they threaten to sue. Too bad. No HOA for me. And I have two houses on adjoining lots. Neither of which has to pay any attention to the HOA.

So DON"T ever buy in a HOA community. They can make your life miserable. Look a little longer and you will eventually find "the perfect house and deal".

choijw2
06-28-2016, 05:16 PM
The original deed on my house is from 1927 and it came into my family in 1938. My house that I use as my office is next door and was built in 1926. Same weird deed and no HOA.

The deed states that we cannot sell the house to "Coloreds, Chinamen, or the Irish"

I bet that's no longer enforceable. And all the houses sold since 1978 have a "HOA" attached to the property. They have been trying to get me to join and when I laugh in their faces they threaten to sue. Too bad. No HOA for me. And I have two houses on adjoining lots. Neither of which has to pay any attention to the HOA.

So DON"T ever buy in a HOA community. They can make your life miserable. Look a little longer and you will eventually find "the perfect house and deal".

haha yeah that is illegal as *)(*#)(% now due to fair housing act in 1960s

Otherwise I would be having trouble buying a house because Im "chinamen" (in case you couldn't tell from my broken english) xDD

but yeah HOA can be real pain in the butt, one of my family friends, who are also asians, told their car is ugly to look at so either sell it, get a new car, hiding in the garage or move out.....
meanwhile my parents HOA people are pretty nice and reasonable.

Hard to avoid HOA thesedays but absolutely trying to dodge them as much as possible.

GenesisCoupe
06-29-2016, 06:20 PM
^^ Agreed. The HOA I'm in has been always ruled by a Board and committees of uneducated busybody housewives who want to control everyone but themselves. Buy into a neighborhood without an HOA where you'll have the freedom to live as you want. Answering to morons is not fun.

Well..that's rude to read. I've been on my board for 8 years and counting..and i have 2 Master degrees. Still no Einstein though.