PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Coating Questions.

Pages : [1] 2

Hammer77
06-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Hi All! I am looking for advice from people who have used, or have knowledge of this coating. This is my first paint coating and am very nervous about it all. As of this coming Friday morning I will have 9 days off of work, and want to dedicate a long day to the prep and coating.

Heres what I have ready to use.
1. Clay and plenty of lube.
2.GG 6 with a LC 5" backing plate, with LC Flat Pads. 12 orange, 12 white.
3.GG 3, with LC Flat Pads. 6 orange, 6 white.
All pads are brand new it the plastic.
4. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
5. Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
6. Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep.
7. Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating.
8. 6 LC Coating Applicators. Extra just incase I drop one, or two!
9.Plenty of MF towels for each process, and some new ones ready for coating wipe down, that I am ready to scrap afterwards.
10. 3 pack of 3M tape I got here at AG.

So I think I got what I need, if someone comes up with something I forgot or missing, I will pay to have it shipped over night to have it on hand.

My questions!

1. Besides trim and badges is there anything I need to tape for the polishing process?

2. Outside temp and humidity, where are the danger zones. Like I said this is my first time coating paint. Michigan has some crazy weather. More than likely this will be a over night process. I have been working 3rd shift for 14 years, so I welcome the night. But my main concern is humidity. I will be in a garage but would prefer to have the big door open, if you say close it I will.

3. Anyone have any tips or tricks to using this coating?

4.I also have Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. Should I use it after the finishing glaze before the prep? If you think it will help overall, or would it not? I do have 6 LC Flat Black pads.

The paint is in really good shape but this will be the first correction. From what I learned and can see there are very minor defects. When I bought the car last August the dealership "prepped" it, this was a couple weeks before I found AGO, but it is garage kept with only 6k miles to date. Even as it sits with WDGPS topped with Fuzion it gets a lot of looks, sometimes I even ask myself how can it get any better. But I want the protection of the coating.

So please if you have any intel to share or links for me to go over( have been over quit a few), please share that. I am in full mode and going to look up and read anything I can get my eyes on. And I plan to take a lot of pics to share all the stuff I have learned here on AGO, and do my first Show and Shine post!

Thanks in advance.
Dave S.

DetailDrivenEugene
06-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Don't need to toss the mf towels after using them for coating, just wash when you are done. And I haven't used the Wolfgang mf towels with the coating, but I have with fuzion wax, and I won't ever again. They leave lint behind, no matter how many times you wash them.
I use them for quick detail wipedowns, or give them to my customers when they purchase qd spray.

Hammer77
06-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the reply FWIW the Wolfgang towels that come with certain products go in my whatever drawer.

Hammer77
06-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Thank for the reply, when I say I got dedicated towels for the process. I mean just that. I have a collection. I am bit of a towel addict!

BudgetPlan1
06-27-2016, 04:58 PM
I did this back in April/May with our 3 black cars; same GG6 setup, same pads, same WG products. Used edge less microfibers to remove swirl remover, glaze and Uber ceramic. Depending on yer paint condition, try a test spot with the finishing glaze and a white pad, you may get away with just that if not too much paint correction needed. The Uber Ceramic is VERY EASY to apply, just follow enclosed directions. I did find it best to use 2 applicators for car; halfway thru the initial applicator got a bit 'grabby'. Based on recommendations, I did not use included WG towels in this process. You'll likely see a high spot or two that needs touching up the next day when you pull car out in the sun. No big deal, put some Swirl Remover on a white 3" pad, buff off the high spot by hand, re-apply the Uber Ceramic to that spot; it'll blend in just fine.

Might wanna pick up some Uber Rinseless Wash as well; in quick detailer dilution it plays very well with the Uber Ceramic for quick cleanup of dusty car.

The only problem I found with the Uber Ceramic is, coupled with the Uber Rinseless Wash Quick Detailer, it left nothing really to do in order to keep car looking good. Wash with the Uber Rinseless (which has about 5 other uses depending on dilution) or WG Auto Bathe every time car is REALLY DIRTY, or just quick wipedown with the QD and car stays nice.

If car gets dirty and then it rains you might think "Hey, that Uber Ceramic ain't beading/shedding water too well...", have no fear. Wash the car to clean the layer of dust/dirt off and the beading/shedding returns.

I got bored of the low maintenance of the Uber coating after a month or so and started chasing a bit more of a deep, warm, carnauba - like look so I topped the Uber Ceramic with some Dodo Juice Purple Haze...I *think* it might given it a bit more gloss but that could just be lofty expectations.

You don't mention color/type of vehicle you're working on but paint comes in many flavors of hardness/correctability so you might wanna do some test spots with the different polishes/pad combos to see what gets you the results you desire in the least aggressive manner; the clearcoat on your car is a finite resource so no need to compound/polish any more than is necessary. 8n my case, car 1 was a 6 month old 2016 black Subaru WRX, notorious for soft paint and easy scratching. Was filled with light scratches/swirls from poor dealer prep. Finishing glaze on white pad took care of that one.

Car 2 was a black 2004 Corvette, which has a reputation for hard paint. It had typical scratches along with some etched in water spots. Tried test spots with the Total Swirl Remover on orange pad, WG Uber Compound on orange and then yellow pad, Meguires M101 on orange then yellow pad and finally found the results I was looking for with Meguires D300 on their microfiber cutting disks, then Total Swirl Remover on orange pad, then Finishing Glaze on white pad. It was quite the adventure/process but worth it in the end.

Relax and have fun...it's hard to goon things up with the products you are using and you'll really dig the results, even if your checkbook won't; it can become a bit of an addiction/obsession...and Autogeek keeps having these sales which totally trashes my thoughts of "I'm good...don't need anything else...". There's always something cool that can be tried. I'm eyeing the WG Fuzion now to see how that plays with the Uber Ceramic...

ScottB
06-27-2016, 05:06 PM
There are literally no tricks to applying this coating. It literally is the easiest to apply. Once you learn how to apply sparingly (it feels different as it is applied) you will likely need little to no buffing to remove.

Hammer77
06-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was planning on testing with the finishing glaze/white pad first from what I have read, it should take care of what I have. I got the TSR and orange pads as a back up measure.

Check on the Uber Rinseless, I got it already!

I saw a lot of people say its very easy to use. My only coating experience is with PBL Glass and Wheel Coatings, which I did a couple months ago.

Anyone got any intel on recommended temp and humidity?

The car is a 2015 Chrysler 200S, color is Velvet Red Pearl. I will snap some current pics in the morning when I get home and the sun is up.

Thanks again.

postaddict
06-27-2016, 11:44 PM
There are literally no tricks to applying this coating. It literally is the easiest to apply. Once you learn how to apply sparingly (it feels different as it is applied) you will likely need little to no buffing to remove.

Totally agree with this comment. I think its actually difficult to stuff up. My preferred method is to spread the product and leave for 1 min exactly, then with the applicator (do not add any more product) go over it again. At this point, there isn't much to buff off and any high spots are leveled out.

BadgerRivFan
06-28-2016, 06:14 AM
2. Outside temp and humidity, where are the danger zones. Like I said this is my first time coating paint. Michigan has some crazy weather. More than likely this will be a over night process. I have been working 3rd shift for 14 years, so I welcome the night. But my main concern is humidity. I will be in a garage but would prefer to have the big door open, if you say close it I will.

4.I also have Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. Should I use it after the finishing glaze before the prep? If you think it will help overall, or would it not? I do have 6 LC Flat Black pads. S.

Hammer:

I wouldn't worry too much about your summer weather conditions in Michigan, especially if you will be working at night inside a garage. Lower humidity is better for the coating to cure, but if the dew point is higher on the evening you coat your car it may just take a little longer to "flash" that's all. Uber is pretty much Bubba proof!

No problem keeping your garage door open while you work, unless it is real windy and dust is getting blown onto the vehicle. That would be the only real concern. Your paint needs to be clean and dry for the coating to adhere properly.

Lastly, skip the Paintwork Polish Enhancer if you use the Finishing Glaze as your final polish (followed by a Perfekt Finish Paint Prep wipe-down) as this would be redundant.

Have fun and make sure you post photos of the finished project!

Hammer77
06-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Ok here is the test car.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/asset.php?fid=49275&uid=81716&d=1467118136

Ok stay with me as I figure this picture stuff out

Hammer77
06-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Hopefully I got it.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/hammer77-albums-6-28-16-picture49809-long-shot.jpg
Here is a long shot down the side.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/hammer77-albums-6-28-16-picture49810-side-shot.jpg
Here is a full on side shot.

I still am not sure how I got this far with the pics, but I did take a couple close ups. I will try!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/hammer77-albums-6-28-16-picture49811-tn-20160628-075217-resized-1.jpg
This is the hood.

Here is the trunk lid.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/hammer77-albums-6-28-16-picture49812-tn-20160628-075233-resized-1-1.jpg

Its a little dirty, I am no photographer, and it was done with my cell phone. But you can see my paint is decent condition! The sun was working against me.

Man posting pics was hell for me to figure out, now so simple. It took four beers to get a handle on it, lol.

Thanks again for the replies and advice.

Timmy
06-29-2016, 07:36 AM
Im glad you posted this as i was having the same questions on ease of this product! i have a 16 plum crazy purple challenger that is off that i bought new 2 weeks ago and am nervous about doing this as well!

Justin at Final Inspection
06-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Here is probably one of the first reviews of this coating as I was able to test it before its initial release. As others have said it's almost too easy to use. Hope this helps.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96322-product-review-wolfgang-uber-ceramic-coating-perfekt-finish-paint-prep.html?highlight=Review+Uber+Ceramic+Coating

Hammer77
06-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Timmy. First of all let me say a month or so ago I was at the dealership getting some service done. Went out looking in the lot, saw a 16 Challenger Plum Crazy Scat Pack. Let me tell you I was in love! It was a beauty. I was about to pop went all the way to checking on insurance. Then I had to talk with myself. I could swing it, but then I do want to build a new garage soon. Like I told the Woman, maybe next year. All in all congrats on your purchase! I am sure you have a beautiful ride there.

Justin. Thanks for the link I remember seeing it when you fist posted it. I did a good reread of it.

From what it looks like Friday afternoon I am going to get up and start my vacation right. Gonna give it hell. I just keep running my game plan over and over in my head. I think sometimes I am my own worst enemy. Like Mike P has said a few times, KISS.

Thanks again. I will provide pics of this adventure.

Dave.

BudgetPlan1
07-07-2016, 03:35 AM
Hammer77,

Didja do it? If so, how did it go?