PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz on gel coat - waste of product?

Whitewater25
06-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Car product on a boat,hope I posted it in proper spot. I have some Cquartz and wonder if it would work on gel coat. Pricey product for such use but if it makes certain areas easier to clean them I'm ok with it if it holds up.

Kenny94
06-26-2016, 12:44 PM
I've dialed in Cquartz on one boat with Gel coat (detailing prep) same prep-work as with paint. It's been about a month now and the boat is still looking fantastic. So, to answer your question, yes it does Bond to gelcoat and gives it the same shine and protection as with paint. The question is, how long does it last? I did some research with Google and never really did get a definite answer but, I did see that car pro (The developer) used it on a yacht not with auto paint but with gel-coated.

The Guz
06-26-2016, 12:59 PM
I just listened to the latest optimum synergy podcast and the second part of it was an interview with a pro detailer who coats boats and house boats with optimum opti-coat. He said it works and lasts longer. The person doing the interview said he coats boats with gel coat.

So I would say that cquarts would work fine. Give it a shot.

Rsurfer
06-26-2016, 01:45 PM
I agree it will work, but prep is super important. Polish off any oxidation (gel coat is famous for) and do an IPA wipe down before coating.

ronkh57
06-26-2016, 01:51 PM
AG also has a "boat coating"

Whitewater25
06-26-2016, 02:42 PM
AG also has a "boat coating"

I've seen that but I have the Cquartz & need to use it before it expires. I bought it to use on my truck but don't have a enclosed place to apply it. SoFlo weather this time of year is very prohibitive for outdoor application on my truck. If the boat isn't perfect,I'm not as concerned,just want easier cleaning. Gives me a reason to buy more later in the year when weather finally gets better for outdoor application.

richy
06-27-2016, 04:15 PM
I used it on a varnished mahogany speed boat. I can provide a link if you'd like.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk