PDA

View Full Version : Denim and compound too slow... Next step up??

Pages : 1 [2]

shadwell
07-02-2016, 10:38 PM
499884998949990Thanks.... It's a mix of tedious... Frustrating and rewarding...
Spent another 5 hours on one side of the hood... Got a lower rate of reduction... Which is a little disappointing.. Lots of surface though... Gonna hit it again...
Half way through now...

shadwell
07-18-2016, 11:51 PM
50524505255052750526OK, pretty much at the end of this journey now.. so i thought i'd summarise..

1./ Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and support, wouldn't have embarked on this without the information available on AG.. so yes, you are all to blame..
2./ Reducing orange peel is absolutely accessible to anyone who is prepared to learn, be patient and logical and adapt depending on what they are experienceing as they progress... there is nothing to be afraid of here... modern products make this process far safer and controllable than in years gone by.. good technique as instructed by folks like Mike also raise the safety level massivley.. BUT heed the warnings and understand the areas of greatest risk so you don't create an issue..
3./ Think long and hard about your paint and what wil be involved BEFORE you do a test pacth.. cos once you do a test patch you will be inclined to match the rest of the car.. and then your screwed..
4./ Mercedes Polar white single stage paint from factory is ridiculously hard.. you can forget denim pads making headway at anything close to a reasonable rate... BUT denim pads are great.. if you have normal hardness paint try them first as the finish level as you go is good.. and recovering to gloss is easier than from sanding...
5./ This is the process I ended up at (after tweaking it panel by panel)
2k wet sand, follow with 3k & 5k DA damp sand,
Rotary wool with SMAT compound,
Rotary LC purple wool with SMAT compound,
LC wool with Scholl S3 compound
Scholl s3 compound on Scholl blue spider pad on the DA
Scholl s20black on blue spider pad DA
Rotary with car Pro reflect on finishing pad (600rpm)
Poor boys white Diamond glaze, rotary applied
Collinite 845 hand applied and buffed off
6./ We do these things so you don't have too..

All the best...

shadwell
07-18-2016, 11:55 PM
Single stage white.. "no clear here.."

Crispy
07-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Too bad you didn't say it was single stage at the start. Could have saved you days of work. Mike has a great article about restoring single stage paints and it works for him.

Rsurfer
07-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Too bad you didn't say it was single stage at the start. Could have saved you days of work. Mike has a great article about restoring single stage paints and it works for him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denim and compound too slow... Next step up??

Hi mike,
Have been working to reduce the orange peel on
My 2015 c class, polar white, single stage...

VAS
07-22-2016, 07:22 PM
3m super duty compound, the orange kind that feels like gojo in your hands with any medium or heavy cut pad will level it out to roughly p2000 sand scratches. I'd probably just damp sand a bit for the really hard stuff. start at 1500-2000, end at 3000-5000. Pick up where you left off with the compound from there.

shadwell
07-24-2016, 04:52 AM

Too bad you didn't read the very first post... 3rd line down .. "Single stage"

and mikes article is about recovering vintage single stage ahead of polishing nothing to
do with denim and it wet sanding brand new single stage factory paint...

Anyhow thanks for the helpful information ?!?!!

shadwell
07-24-2016, 04:55 AM
Thanks but it's all done now and the final process I settled upon is a few posts up...

Today's shot...