PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain a Matt finish?

george type-s
06-24-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm new the Matt finish and I would like to know what products are good to maintain it without damaging it?

If I have some imperfections that I'd want to remove (stain marks for example) what products are safe and good to use on this type of finish??

The colors are matt black and matt silver/grey, factory painted.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jomax
06-24-2016, 11:25 PM
What type of vehicle?

george type-s
06-25-2016, 12:14 AM
What type of vehicle?

2016 Honda CB500F

refreshauto
06-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Dr. Beasley makes great products for matte finishes. If you have stains they will be harder to remove. Look into the product line and also into Xpel Stealth Film

george type-s
06-26-2016, 12:05 AM
Dr. Beasley makes great products for matte finishes. If you have stains they will be harder to remove. Look into the product line and also into Xpel Stealth Film

So if I were to try Meguiar's M1 on this finish, will it make things worse??

Also, has anyone tried Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer?

FUNX650
06-26-2016, 09:00 AM
So if I were to try Meguiar's M1 on
this finish, will it make things worse??

•Meguiar's M01's abrasives will, more
than likely, "shine up" the matte.
-(Additionally:
With M01 being recommended
to be applied with a Rotary polisher:
should be a heads-up regarding
the abrasives' "heat" factor)

•So, for people wanting the matte surfaces
to remain/be as OEM matte as possible...
-"Shining up" could be construed as making
things worse.

•IMHO:
-Using matte-specific products
is a Best Practice.

Bob

David Fermani
06-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Nothing special is needed for the washing of a matte finished vehicle. Some mainstream waxes/sealants even work great too and can even make the sheen more uniform. Trust me, you won't harm the finish or alter the look by using your stand by wash soap. The biggest thing you'll need to be aware of is doing something that could cause repairable marring of the surface. Use good towels and technique and it will remain "factory" for the long term. And, as someone above mentioned, it might be worthwhile to check into matte finished PPF.

george type-s
06-27-2016, 11:41 AM
•Meguiar's M01's abrasives will, more
than likely, "shine up" the matte.
-(Additionally:
With M01 being recommended
to be applied with a Rotary polisher:
should be a heads-up regarding
the abrasives' "heat" factor)

•So, for people wanting the matte surfaces
to remain/be as OEM matte as possible...
-"Shining up" could be construed as making
things worse.

•IMHO:
-Using matte-specific products
is a Best Practice.

Bob

Thanks! That's why I was wondering if anyone has experience with matt finishes and can recommend a good product that can be used to compound/polish/wax the bike.

Thanks!

Nothing special is needed for the washing of a matte finished vehicle. Some mainstream waxes/sealants even work great too and can even make the sheen more uniform. Trust me, you won't harm the finish or alter the look by using your stand by wash soap. The biggest thing you'll need to be aware of is doing something that could cause repairable marring of the surface. Use good towels and technique and it will remain "factory" for the long term. And, as someone above mentioned, it might be worthwhile to check into matte finished PPF.

I know the soap didn't harm it, it's just when theirs a stain on the paint, I'm wondering what can I use to get it off without harming the finish.

FUNX650
06-27-2016, 08:02 PM
That's why I was wondering if anyone
has experience with matt finishes and
can recommend a good product

when theirs a stain on the paint,
I'm wondering what can I use to get
it off without harming the finish.

Flitz has this matte cleaning product
(carried by AGO):
Flitz Flat/Matte Finish Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/flitz-matte-finish-cleaner.html)

I know that Nick@autogeek is working
on getting more matte-specific products
for the AGO store.

In the meantime...
A few other companies that carry
matte-specific products are:
Dr. Beasley's
Nanolex
Swissvax
RatWax

Good Luck!

Bob

george type-s
06-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Flitz has this matte cleaning product
(carried by AGO):
Flitz Flat/Matte Finish Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/flitz-matte-finish-cleaner.html)

I know that Nick@autogeek is working
on getting more matte-specific products
for the AGO store.

In the meantime...
A few other companies that carry
matte-specific products are:
Dr. Beasley's
Nanolex
Swissvax
RatWax

Good Luck!

Bob

Thank you Bob!!

I'll still keep searching for a product that I can use in order to compound this type of finish. I have a stain on the bike that I cannot get off, had this been regular paint, this would have been a piece of cake for me, but it's not...

FUNX650
06-29-2016, 08:11 AM
I'll still keep searching for a product
that I can use in order to compound
this type of finish.
I'm thinking you shouldn't
proceed in that direction.

-Matte paint appears flat because of it
having, let's call them:"imperfections".
-Compounding...an abrasive process...
removes those imperfections.

Bob

refreshauto
06-29-2016, 06:37 PM
You cannot buff out a stain from a matte finish. There is no product on the market that will do that. All you can do at this point is clean it or apply matte clear bra film over top of it like Xpel Stealth

george type-s
06-30-2016, 12:17 AM
You cannot buff out a stain from a matte finish. There is no product on the market that will do that. All you can do at this point is clean it or apply matte clear bra film over top of it like Xpel Stealth

Ok, I had tried a small spot with some M101 and it turned the matt into a gloss... lucky for me that spot is hiding, but still.

David Fermani
07-18-2016, 07:55 PM
I know the soap didn't harm it, it's just when theirs a stain on the paint, I'm wondering what can I use to get it off without harming the finish.

That would depend on what kind of stain you're dealing with? Most above surface problems can be corrected chemically without harming the finish. I'd be proactive and treat the finish ahead of time to prevent anything from happening.