PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep my supplies in a hot summer garage?

wn1998
06-24-2016, 08:00 AM
I usually keep all of my supplies in a closet inside (71 degrees). I always have to make 2-3 trips when I have a car to do in the garage. My question is can I keep my supplies in the garage during the hot summer? I know I can't when it's cold, but will a hot Chicago summer (85-90 degrees) do anything to my product?

Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant
Folex
Stoners Trim Shine
Meguiars APC
Sonus leather
HD Speed

Just to name a few of my products.

Setec Astronomy
06-24-2016, 08:06 AM
If I were you I would keep them out of the heat. I don't know how much you have, but can you put them in some sort of caddy so you can carry them all out at once when you're working?

Something like this:

http://justagirlblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cleaner.jpg

ski2
06-24-2016, 10:21 AM
I usually keep all of my supplies in a closet inside (71 degrees). I always have to make 2-3 trips when I have a car to do in the garage. My question is can I keep my supplies in the garage during the hot summer? I know I can't when it's cold, but will a hot Chicago summer (85-90 degrees) do anything to my product?

Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant
Folex
Stoners Trim Shine
Meguiars APC
Sonus leather
HD Speed

Just to name a few of my products.

My garage gets very hot also. I've never had an issue with APC, trim dressings, Folex or leather care products, but the heat can destroy LSPs and Polishes so they stay inside the house year round.

custmsprty
06-24-2016, 10:53 AM
I sell cleaning chemicals for a national distributor and am now part of The Home Depot as they acquired our company last fall.

Extended periods of high heat are not good for any chemicals. Over time it will definitely reduce the effective shelf-life. I have a HOT garage living in Florida. I store as much as I can inside. Definitely LSP's etc.

AuroraDetailing
06-24-2016, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't consider a garage high heat. Though it does get relatively hot and can be extremely uncomfortable to work in, I would consider high heat to be where it's hot to the touch, like in your car or other storage places in direct sunlight.

Rsurfer
06-24-2016, 01:38 PM
My garage gets very hot also. I've never had an issue with APC, trim dressings, Folex or leather care products, but the heat can destroy LSPs and Polishes so they stay inside the house year round.:xyxthumbs:

tenblade2001
06-24-2016, 02:24 PM
great info. I keep my waxes in the refrigerator but I'll move the sealants to the house. What about glaze or soaps?

JSMet
06-24-2016, 02:57 PM
I also learned the hard way that heat can do some strange things to the chemicals that make up waxes, sealants, and polishes. Just about all of them separated into an unrecognizable mix of what looked like water, oil, and goo that I was reluctant to use. I was told to shake it up real well before using, but it didn't seem to be the same stuff anymore. Since then, I keep ALL of my stuff in my air conditioned house. It costs too much. I'll have the wife and kids sleep in the garage now before I put my products out there. (Just kidding.)

Paul A.
06-24-2016, 03:10 PM
I keep most of mine inside. The things i risk in the garage are APC's, soaps (incl. leather) and most things non-polishing or finishing. I keep my pads, machines and microfiber towels out there too but they're not subject to composition breakdowns. Kinda like a "kept princess" sorta thing inside! And i shake the crap outta those princesses too before i look at them.

I usually eyeball a job three times ... at the quote talk ... at appointment arrival, and after i have washed, clayed/nano'ed/Iron X'ed and dried. I then go in the house and make up a plastic crate of what i think and might need regarding cut, buff and polish/LSP. Not rocket surgery but i do like to keep what i think are finesse products and sometimes costly, inside out of any excessive heat.

* edit - 2nd. Para., 2nd. Sentence: delete and replace "regarding cut, buff and polish/LSP" with the insert "what the customer is paying for".