PDA

View Full Version : Paint on interior fabric and trim

Mad Wax
06-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Customer emailed me a can of paint spilled in his rear hatch area. He said he wasn't there when it happened, so he's not sure of the exact kind paint, but thinks it's an interior wall eggshell paint. He also doesn't think it's latex, but not 100% sure.

It's dried up on the fabric and some trim. Anybody run into this situation? I got a steamer and extractor in my arsenal.

Thanks for any info guys

AuroraDetailing
06-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Alcohol for latex paint. Could work on the trim, but carpet and fabric are probably done for. Interior wall paint is usually latex, especially eggshell. I used to be a painter and the only oil based products were used on hard surfaces like solid doors and door frames in commercial applications.

Mad Wax
06-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Do you think paint thinner would stain the fabric?

AuroraDetailing
06-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Paint thinner is used for oil based paints. It might be able to dissolve latex paint a little because it is a solvent, but I wouldn't use it in a vehicle upholstery. I have actually been in an accident from intoxication from fumes from xylene. A can fell over and leaked a little in the cardboard box it was in and thought I could drive with the windows down until I got to a coworkers place to throw it out, but you start getting used to the smell and can't smell it anymore, thinking you have enough fresh air. I forgot was following him because I was already getting disoriented, and didn't take the exit he took, so he called me and I rolled up the windows so I could hear and it was lights out after that. So I highly recommend not using any form of solvents inside the car.

dcjredline
06-24-2016, 04:33 PM
The rear carpet probably isn't worth messing with. Replacement should be considered

WeekendDIY
06-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Yea.....I used to paint houses in a different life, like 30 years ago. When oil base was used a lot for older external use and commercial as Aurora has already mentioned. If it's not dried yet you might be able to use a shop vac with A LOT of water. But it will be one hell of a mess either way. If eggshell, probably flat (not semi gloss), and latex based. If it's dried in anyway ur pretty much screwed. If I'm not mistaken I didn't think purely oil based were a no-no due to environment reasons. But either way, as already said, paint thinner would be a wasted effort and make a bigger mess.

Not to many good options with this unfortunately.

Mad Wax
06-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Ok, thanks for the info guys