PDA

View Full Version : Family/Friend Discount?

Pages : [1] 2

jforget1
06-25-2006, 05:18 PM
For the guys that are doing this on the side, wondering if you give a discount to family and friends. Word of mouth can help me get started. I was thinking 25%

Thoughts
Joe

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Depends on the person. I just make up a figure.

Kelso
06-25-2006, 05:56 PM
for the closest ones, ill do it if they ocver the cost of my products used( rough estimate of course)

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 05:57 PM
For my closest ones (parents/gf) I do it for free. Just a little show of appreciation. Doesn't take too long, and I imagine I probably use 2 bucks worth of products.

jforget1
06-25-2006, 06:13 PM
For my closest ones (parents/gf) I do it for free. Just a little show of appreciation. Doesn't take too long, and I imagine I probably use 2 bucks worth of products.

I am thinking the same, Parents, Sister would do it for free, giving extended family a break.

abrcrombe
06-25-2006, 06:23 PM
I am also going to do some for my grandparents. I am not going to give them a price though. They will just give me what they seem fit. Maybe I could use that as a price point!

Torsion Tool
06-28-2006, 08:51 AM
abrcrombe, I used to do the same thing. At some point down the road, though, you may want to casually work into general conversation what the going rate is for comparable service by local professionals. The reactions are surprising, especially from people who are totally unaware of the subject and work involved.

abrcrombe
06-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I definitely agree with that. I talk about it with my friends and they are amazed how people will spend that kind of money on a detail. Of course these are from middle class familes and are college students, so spending is almost limited to necessities most of the time. I think you need to find the right kind of people to be your customers.

Torsion Tool
06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Here-Here! Word of mouth is your best marketing device. As long as you are thorough and personally engaging you have a good chance. Don't fall into the trap of denigrating others' work; emphasize instead the steps and details you include without stating that they probably do not. Even as a student and post grad I found the time to detail on occasion, but that was when Aeschylus and Pythagoras were around to help pimp my chariot. Don't trust the current crop of self-named expert professionals these days. Too shabby and shoddy IMO.

jforget1
06-28-2006, 07:14 PM
All good advice, appreciate all the feedback, have a neighbor lined up for his vehicle, hopefully this weekend.

abrcrombe
06-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Post pics if you can! Don't forget to get the BEFORE pictures. :p

ScottB
06-28-2006, 07:33 PM
doing work for family/friends is a double edged sword. Nice to practice on, but they likely expect everything for free !!

FloridaNative
06-28-2006, 07:52 PM
With my mom I do it for free because let's face it she wiped my butt when I was little, but my sister and brother and anyone else has to pay my supplies and I'll do the labor for free. Neighbors I would charge but not much over my supplies since I am not a pro or anything. But mommy, she's special. :D Te amo mamacita! MUA!

klnyc
06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Close relatives, I do for free.
Friends, I charge them only labor(use that to pay my supplies)
Neighbors(close one). I give them half price.
Anyothers I charge full :D

jforget1
06-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Close relatives, I do for free.
Friends, I charge them only labor(use that to pay my supplies)
Neighbors(close one). I give them half price.
Anyothers I charge full :D

For friends, what might you charge for a full detail compared to your regular price? Is that less than what you charge for the neighbor? Trying to figure out the best option here. Wanna make some money, but want to get good word of mouth.