PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Chrome trim

shagnat
06-23-2016, 09:00 AM
What should I use to "polish" the chrome trim around my windows/doors? Any method tips to go along with products needed.

They are scratched and it's driving me crazy.... not gouges but definitely scratched pretty well.

Thanks in advance.

shagnat
06-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Anyone? Please :)

lane5515
06-24-2016, 10:59 AM
I use Optimum Metal Polish on chrome with excellent results - doesn't remove scratches but cleans and shines up the chrome nicely. I apply with microfiber cloth and remove with a clean microfiber cloth.

If you figure out a way to remove scratches from chrome please let us know.

Coopers ST
06-24-2016, 11:39 AM
I use P21S polishing soap.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-25-2016, 12:44 AM
I use Menzerna polishing cream for this kind of work. You could also try a normal paint compound in a small area and check the results.

If this or the other products mentioned don't provide the results you are after, look into the Wolfgang MetalWerk line. These are designated compounds/polishes.
Wolfgang Metal Polishes clean, polish, and protect metal, aluminum, chrome, stainless steel polish, Airstream polish, trailer polish, aluminum polish, (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-metallwerk-aluminum-polishing.html)

Make sure to tape off everything surrounding the trim.

shagnat
06-25-2016, 04:26 AM
Thanks for your help and advice. I do have a regular "compound" and rubbed a bit on a section and wiped it off.... no rubbing involved.... did nothing but I didn't expect much.

So, actually removing scratches from chrome probably won't happen, huh?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-25-2016, 05:14 AM
The only other thing you can try is sand the affected areas with 3K grit sandpaper. However be extremely careful as chrome trim is usually just a chrome plastic layer covering a black plastic base.

shagnat
06-26-2016, 03:44 PM
The only other thing you can try is sand the affected areas with 3K grit sandpaper. However be extremely careful as chrome trim is usually just a chrome plastic layer covering a black plastic base.

Thank you, Mike...... you verified what I was thinking..... I guess I'll just polish it a bit and let it go at that. I just don't have the energy to work for 2-3 hours getting all those scratches out for such a small gain.

All input is appreciated.

JeffM
06-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Is it chrome on metal or chrome on plastic? Either way use a polish with a finger pocket, it may not come out all the way.

shagnat
07-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Is it chrome on metal or chrome on plastic? Either way use a polish with a finger pocket, it may not come out all the way.

Finger pockets are a great idea.... hadn't thought of that :) I'm pretty sure it's chrome on plastic but don't know how to verify which.

Rsurfer
07-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Finger pockets are a great idea.... hadn't thought of that :) I'm pretty sure it's chrome on plastic but don't know how to verify which.Use a magnet.

If its plastic, Just use a chrome polish and live with the scratches, as chrome on plastic is super thin and you will do more harm than good.

shagnat
07-17-2016, 11:15 AM
Rsurfer... thanks.... don't know why I didn't think of that...