PDA

View Full Version : Speedy prep towel

smkdya
06-22-2016, 06:47 PM
I used the Baggie test on the hood of my car it felt like sandpaper . So I used the speedy prep towel with clay lube on my hood until i felt no resistance on the towel anymore . I felt the paint with my hand and it felt like glass . I then used the Baggie test again it it felt much better but not perfect . After claying and using the Baggie test again should it be smooth as glass or will I still feel some bumps even after claying ? Thanks glenn

Crispy
06-22-2016, 07:58 PM
I use the fine grade Speedy Prep Towel and if I can't feel any more "gritty" stuff after wiping it is clear of above surface contaminates. Never had baggy test show after it feels smooth with the towel. Don't know if baggy test will detect below surface contaminates?

Mantilgh
06-22-2016, 11:41 PM
It can take a lot of passes to remove "everything" that is on the surface of the paint.

You could try a test spot on one area by doing a bunch of passes just in one spot, and then try the baggy test again to compare.

Most recommend a light polish after claying. I prefer to do so with a AIO or cleaner wax for the additional cleaning benefit.

Mantilgh
06-23-2016, 08:24 PM
I guess technically the paint should feel smooth, but it would also depend on if there are any chips in the paint.

If there is still something on the paint, look to see what it is. It may be easier to remove it chemically with something like TarX or IronX.

For quick clay jobs, I just go by the look of my clay lube on the surface while I'm claying.

Left - lightly clayed = blotchy spots while claying / Right - clayed untill the moisture dispersion is even.

Weird spot on the right is a reflection.

Edit: I guess I should note that the pic above is useing Optimum Car Wax as my clay lube while rinseless washing with Uber. On the above 06' black Denali, the paint looked bad if I clayed then used the Car Wax. IMO the clay with the wax helps me see what's going on better and I can tell when I have clean surface and even coverage.

parttimer
06-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Were you using a medium grade or fine grade towel? If you use a medium, sometimes it still leaves smaller particulates behind the medium isn't able to grab. Some have suggested following up with a fine grade. For my detail, most production, medium grade right to polish.

Jomax
06-24-2016, 09:08 AM
I have good luck with the DA clay pad. Seems to clean the paint really good and fast.