PDA

View Full Version : Are all hand polish foam pads equal?

tony58
06-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Are all hand polish foam pads equal? I'm sure they aren't.So any brand specific worth the price over El cheapo ebay bulk type?

TTQ B4U
06-22-2016, 02:15 PM
IMO no. I buy 12 packs of Meg's yellow ones from AG for cheap. They are great. I keep them separated by product in ziplock bags that are labeled so I can use them consistently. Cheap enough that if you drop one you can toss it out and not worry. Soft enough that they won't mar even the pure black Honda or Subaru paint, both of which are known to be soft and scratch easily.

FUNX650
06-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Are all hand polish foam pads equal? I'm sure they aren't.So any brand specific worth the price over El cheapo ebay bulk type?
The AGO store carries just about every
type of hand foam pads that's available:
Results for Foam hand pads - Search (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search/catalog-autogeek--keywords-Foam_hand_pads--x-41--y-22)

{Note:
Focus your attention on ppg. 1-20
of above link}

Bob

ski2
06-22-2016, 03:50 PM
I find the Buff & Shine hand pads far superior to any of the yellow pads. Much more substantial so they hold up to repeated washings. The foam is the same red they use in there DA pads--soft but with very dense pores that keep the product on the surface rather than soaking in.

Buff and Shine Red Foam Wax & Sealant Applicator Pad with Tapered Edge (2 Pack) (http://www.autogeek.net/buff-and-shine-tapered-edge-wax-app.html)

Buff and Shine Red Foam Wax & Sealant Applicator Pad with Notched Center (2 Pack) (http://www.autogeek.net/buff-and-shine-red-wax-app-with-notched-grip.html)

Eldorado2k
06-22-2016, 04:05 PM
I've been thinking about ordering that same 12pk. from the bay.. But I keep looking at the pictures and there's a good chance they're gonna be cheap, in a bad way. I like the Meguiars ones.

Heisenberg
06-22-2016, 04:16 PM
They are not created equally. I've ordered a ton of cheap stuff from eBay to compare them to the more expensive versions. I wanted to see if I was really getting my money's worth - pads, towels, clay substitutes, etc and let me tell you... you get what you pay for. Cheap foam applicators soak product in and it bleeds through, leaves fibers behind, the attachable pads have weak hook and loop backings and adhesive, and the clay substitutes come stuck together, fraying, and don't work as well. Worst of all if I need to call and change something or I have a problem I get zero support.

Buy from PBMG.

KaseyMcc
06-22-2016, 04:35 PM
I might get crucified here for admitting this, but for the last year or so I've been just using the sponge side of Scotch Brite dish sponges to apply polish or wax. It's honestly worked just fine, the only catch is that I'm sure it's using more product. Other than that I don't have any issues with it. Yes, it's a bit ghetto...but they're cheap!

dlc95
06-22-2016, 07:38 PM
I like the Meguiar's yellow foam pads. I've got a ton of them. Been using them for 20 years now.

PaulMys
06-22-2016, 08:19 PM
I like the Meguiar's yellow foam pads. I've got a ton of them. Been using them for 20 years now.

I'm a fan of these as well. I think they hold product evenly, and are the perfect combo of softness and size. I like to be able to "bend & squeeze" the pads to get into tight spots between emblems, or thin areas like the A pillars. These are perfect for that.

PaulMys
06-22-2016, 08:22 PM
I might get crucified here for admitting this, but for the last year or so I've been just using the sponge side of Scotch Brite dish sponges to apply polish or wax. It's honestly worked just fine, the only catch is that I'm sure it's using more product. Other than that I don't have any issues with it. Yes, it's a bit ghetto...but they're cheap!

Good Lord Kasey. Take $3 bucks out of your pocket and get some foam applicators!! Lol