PDA

View Full Version : Tire dressing for Michelins

Whitewater25
06-22-2016, 09:36 AM
I have read some here say Michelins are a pain to dress. Any suggestions on a dressing that does play well with them as I Have them on both our vehicles. I have a sample of Blackfire I've used a couple of times but it doesn't last very long. I'm not a fan of super glossy finishes,don't mind the wet look but I don't want to wear sunglasses to look at it in the daylight.

motion732
06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
I use Adam's Tire Shine (yellow bottle) for the Michelin's on my truck. Honestly, it looks fantastic and lasts a very long time, but I worry that since the dressing is solvent based it may be damaging the rubber. I've read so many arguments on both sides of the debate and am yet to form an opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/Oqew2Tv.jpg - a total of two applications over the course of 1.5 months. This was probably a day or two after the second application

lane5515
06-22-2016, 09:51 AM
CarPro Perl diluted 1:1.

Setec Astronomy
06-22-2016, 09:56 AM
When you say your dressing doesn't last very long, is that through rain storms (I see you live in FL). Most water-based dressings don't do very well in rain. However, a lot of tire dressing success has to do with cleaning, although I'm changing my tune a bit on the whole tire cleaning thing. I'm beginning to think you can over clean along with under clean.

Anyway, what is your usual regimen as far as cleaning and dressing? How old are the tires?

FUNX650
06-22-2016, 10:40 AM
I like both Meguiar's M40
and Optimum Opti-Bond for
tire dressings.

However:
After seeing how Opti-Bond treats
this exterior component:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=106452&size=1

Starting this Spring it's going to be
only the Opti-Bond for the Michelins: :dblthumb2:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=106518&size=1

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=106519&size=1

Bob

Eldorado2k
06-22-2016, 10:47 AM
I've only bought Meguiars Endurance Gel once in my life. Michelins are the only reason I'll be buying it again. IME it's the only 1 that can last a legit 2 weeks on those tires.

Whitewater25
06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
When you say your dressing doesn't last very long, is that through rain storms (I see you live in FL). Most water-based dressings don't do very well in rain. However, a lot of tire dressing success has to do with cleaning, although I'm changing my tune a bit on the whole tire cleaning thing. I'm beginning to think you can over clean along with under clean.

Anyway, what is your usual regimen as far as cleaning and dressing? How old are the tires?

Tires are 3 years old. I wash truck as needed using foam on everything. Only time I use wheel cleaner is when they are really bad which isn't very often. Even in winter months,the tire dressing only seems to last a few weeks. Maybe I just expect more than I should. I have some Perl,I will give that a try & see what it does.

BillyJack
06-22-2016, 11:28 AM
I have Michelins on two of the family fleet, with Uniroyal and BFG T/A's on the others. Michelins, IMO are the most user friendly of the bunch, next to the BFG's. My usual go-to is Duragloss 253. Nowhere near a coating in durability, but a nice low-gloss look and respectable longevity. One of my friends uses Meg's OTC Endurance exclusively on his Michelins and is very pleased with longevity.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
06-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Tires are 3 years old. I wash truck as needed using foam on everything. Only time I use wheel cleaner is when they are really bad which isn't very often. Even in winter months,the tire dressing only seems to last a few weeks. Maybe I just expect more than I should. I have some Perl,I will give that a try & see what it does.

Tires seem to have more browning issues when they are new, is why I asked. A few weeks is pretty good for a water-based dressing. Some people review Perl as better than regular dressings, some not. You can also try one of the "sealants": Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, Blackfire Total Tire and Trim Sealant, or Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. Or certainly you should get better longevity out of a coating, like Tuf Shine or the McKee's 37 tire coating.

AZpolisher15
06-22-2016, 11:55 AM
DG253 is working very well on my Michelins. I really like it. It lasts several weeks if it doesn't get wet. Even if it does get wet, longevity is still very acceptable.

Desertnate
06-22-2016, 11:57 AM
My usual go-to is Duragloss 253. Nowhere near a coating in durability, but a nice low-gloss look and respectable longevity. One of my friends uses Meg's OTC Endurance exclusively on his Michelins and is very pleased with longevity.

Bill

253 is my dressing of choice as well. I've not used it on Michelins yet, but it is the only product I've used that has consistantly worked well on every brand of tire it's been applied.

MadMerc
06-23-2016, 06:11 AM
I've been using the Eco Touch tire dressing since my Pilot Sports were new last year. It's been giving me a solid 3 weeks before it needs a fresh coat.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160623/93595af84fc7e9e10ce6873bfabd6674.jpg