PDA

View Full Version : Stained seat belts

Jimmie
10-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Haven't had much luck with stiff, stained seat belts. Wondering what you guys use on these. I definitely could use your help and expertise.:eek:

D
10-20-2007, 02:42 PM
What have you tried?

Jimmie
10-20-2007, 02:54 PM
What have you tried?

Woolite 8:1; 303 Cleaner 30:1 and 20:1. Seat belts just suck it up, not much wipes off, and stains just stay locked-in.

HighEndDetail
10-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Try a steam cleaner

Jimmie
10-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Try a steam cleaner

Thanks Ed. I just bought one at "Tuesday Morning" about a month ago. Didn't even consider it. Thanks.

ScottB
10-20-2007, 03:50 PM
my wife had a bloody nose while pregnant and some got on the seatbelt. I used a little oxy-clean and a tooth brush and it was gone. My only worry were seatbelts colorsafe ?!?

supercharged
10-21-2007, 01:56 AM
I think Megs APC+ 10:1 should work well on it.

Gary Sword
10-21-2007, 06:53 AM
I recently used some DP Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner on some really dirty seat belts and it did a very nice job.

Anthony Orosco
10-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Go to a store that deals in webbed materials, like a search and rescue outfitter as they use a lot of seat belt type materials, and ask them the best and SAFEST method of cleaning that type of material.

Anthony

TOGWT
10-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Seat Belts:
Maintenance clean seat belts with a 5:1 Woolite® distilled water solution. For spot stains use a fabric cleaner (303 Cleaner & Spot Remover™)
1. Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean and allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach or strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.
2. Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)
3. While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment, ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door)

After a while the seat belt mechanism becomes slow and / or will not retract when released. This can be avoided by cleaning the upper anchor; as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt, which builds up over time. But by taking a Q- tip and some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can clean the seat belt anchor / retracting mechanism. Once clean add some Plexus Plastic Cleaner to provide lubrication.

Alternative products - C-28 Seat Belt Cleaner and Spot Remover from PRO® to make detailers jobs a lot easier Seat Belt Cleaner and Spot Remover is a non-flammable and non hazardous concentrated cleaner that safely removes dirt, oil, grease and stains from seat belts - Professional Car Care :: Car Care Products :: Detailing Supplies (http://www.professionalcarcare.com)