PDA

View Full Version : Will rinseless washing more than 1-2x a week cause too much damage?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Chloe92us
06-22-2016, 06:44 AM
New here! After reading just about everything I've been able to get my hands on, I've become addicted to keeping my (new to me) white BMW in tip top shape at all times. Thanks for an amazing forum!

ONR has seriously changed my life. I wish I could wash my car every day it's so rewarding and fun.....BUT.....I know that every time I touch my car I risk scratching it. In reality, if I wipe it down 2x (or +) a week, am I going to ruin my finish over time?

i do plan on having it professionally detailed (polished) 1-2x a year, so the visible stuff will be knocked down but I really want to know if I should just back off the washing a bit.

thanks!

TTQ B4U
06-22-2016, 06:52 AM
When properly done rinseless causes no harm and IMO is actually safer. I must admit I chuckled when I read that your car is white and you're going to clean it twice a week :)

Looking forward to seeing pics. Welcome to the addiction aka online version.

Chloe92us
06-22-2016, 06:55 AM
When properly done rinseless causes no harm and IMO is actually safer. I must admit I chuckled when I read that your car is white and you're going to clean it twice a week.

Granted, I do have to look at it from the right angle, with the sun shining on it just the right way.....but I DO see some dirt (I think!). LOL! Really, it's just fun.....

idriveblackcars
06-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Done right,technically you can wash your can using any method 7 days a week without worries. But yeah like you said yourself the more times you touch the surface the higher percentage of scratching.

For a daily imo a once a week maintence wash is all I need.

cleanmycorolla
06-22-2016, 08:45 AM
wait until you move past ONR and get to the good rinseless and waterless washes, ONR is the first step, go to Uber and UWW+ those are the winners!

Chloe92us
06-22-2016, 09:08 AM
wait until you move past ONR and get to the good rinseless and waterless washes, ONR is the first step, go to Uber and UWW+ those are the winners!

I have UWW+ and have only experimented with it as a pre-wash soak (in place of ONR @ QD strength) and am finding it is leaving a film....I think it's due to the high humidity here so will try diluting with more water. I haven't used it as a rinseless yet though. I'll be trying it this weekend.

I hate cherries with a passion, so absolutely will not be trying Uber even though it gets rave reviews.

motion732
06-22-2016, 09:49 AM
I have UWW+ and have only experimented with it as a pre-wash soak (in place of ONR @ QD strength) and am finding it is leaving a film....I think it's due to the high humidity here so will try diluting with more water. I haven't used it as a rinseless yet though. I'll be trying it this weekend.

I hate cherries with a passion, so absolutely will not be trying Uber even though it gets rave reviews.

The film could be the protection it's supposed to be leaving? Uber works great for me but even with distilled water i get water spots.

Chloe92us
06-22-2016, 09:56 AM
The film could be the protection it's supposed to be leaving? Uber works great for me but even with distilled water i get water spots.

I don't think it's the protection....it's like a streaky film. Whatever it is, it doesn't look good. I don't get the film when I use ONR or Opti Clean as a pre-soak. I also don't get the film when I use Megs D156 spray wax.

I really think I need to experiment with the dilution ratio....I have read that if a rinseless/waterless streaks, cut the dilution ratio with a bit more water.

I love the smell of this stuff, so I will continue to experiment! ;)

Real Riders
06-22-2016, 12:40 PM
I Rinseless Wash my wife's brown Honda CRV at least 4 times a week with no problems at all.

Jomax
06-22-2016, 12:59 PM
I Rinseless Wash my wife's brown Honda CRV at least 4 times a week with no problems at all.

4times?!?!

expdetailing
06-22-2016, 01:37 PM
I have UWW+ and have only experimented with it as a pre-wash I .

I've never understood why someone would presoak, then proceed to Rinsless wash their ride. If you're going to presoak, why not presoak with a waterless and just waterless wash your ride?
I'm questioning to possibly gain insight, rather than teardown your method.

Chloe92us
06-22-2016, 01:48 PM
I've never understood why someone would presoak, then proceed to Rinsless wash their ride. If you're going to presoak, why not presoak with a waterless and just waterless wash your ride?

It only takes an extra 3 minutes and less than 1/4 ounce of concentrate. I've done it without a pre soak too, but in the end, pre soaking seems safer (more liquid) and makes me feel better.

if it's really dirty, I'll even do a hose rinse down first, then pre soak, then rinseless wash. That really works great and still saves a lot of time and back aches.

I use a WW only in place of a QD....to knock down dust and smudges.

AuroraDetailing
06-22-2016, 01:52 PM
I would say one of there most important parts, that is not always specifically addressed, but somewhat common sense, is to always inspect your microfiber towels for any debris before using them. This is most likely where you are going to induce swirls or light scratches. I can spend almost an hour going through my towels after a wash inspecting every inch of every one. The lubricant properties of the wash should be good enough for the fine dirt particles already on the paint. It's the pieces of broken leaves and things like that stuck in the nap of the towel that you need to look out for.

TTQ B4U
06-22-2016, 02:11 PM

Perhaps I should run a quick video...hmmm.

When I soak my car it leaves a ton of solution on the paint and dirt. It helps break it up, loosen it and prep it to be removed. The KEY to it all IMO is that there is PLENTY of solution. Each of my 480 GSM Eagle Edgeless towels hold a sopping ton of water and when combined with the ton of water sitting on the surface of my car, each wipe litterally creates waves of solution that are pushed off my car and when that happens it's taking the dirt with it.

It's quite a difference between misting/spraying the surface and then wiping it with a dry rag. Each wipe is a fully clean surface, each wipe pushes off a ton of dirt and there as much if not more lubrication than even the largest wash mits and a bucket in say a traditional wash. I only do Rinseless on my vehicles anymore. I will wash the wheels with a hose but overall paint wise, no.

The above is what works for me on two black vehicles with zero scratches, micro mars, etc. I'm a HUGE stickler especially on the S4 as Brilliant Black is Pure Black which would show every mark if not done properly.

oneheadlite
06-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Perhaps I should run a quick video...hmmm.

I'd love if you did. Maybe it's knowing your a fellow Audi enthusiast, or just knowing how frequently you Rinseless your black cars w/ no ill effect, but I've been curious to see your technique. I have all the gear to do Rinseless washing, I just haven't been brave enough to give it a go yet.