PDA

View Full Version : Dlux over solution finish

Pages : [1] 2

Whitewater25
06-19-2016, 01:39 PM
I thought I read some here top solution finish with Dlux. Do you feel it adds to the durability / longevity of the finish? How long did you wait to top it? Any other choices that would add longevity?

Rsurfer
06-19-2016, 01:49 PM
I thought I read some here top solution finish with Dlux. Do you feel it adds to the durability / longevity of the finish? How long did you wait to top it? Any other choices that would add longevity?

Winning combo..I would wait till the next day to top.

TroyScherer
06-19-2016, 01:59 PM
The SolutionFinish restores and darkens the plastics back to a black color.
The Dlux acts as a sealer and locks in the SolutionFinish.
I usually apply the SF and wait a few days to apply the Dlux on top if possible. Obviously this works better in your own vehicles since you will most likely have the time.

Whitewater25
06-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks, I'm doing it on my truck & wifes SUV.... When the rain finally quits!

FUNX650
06-19-2016, 07:03 PM
I prefer using Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus
(UT&T+) on top of Solution Finish.

DLux is a stand alone Coating product,
not a "topper", in my book.

Bob

AbileneAutoWerx
06-19-2016, 08:04 PM
How would WETS work on top of it?

Rsurfer
06-19-2016, 09:54 PM

Bob

The new version of UTTG is nowhere as good as V1. I guess they needed to be VOC compliant and changed the formula.

I agree that Dlux is a stand alone and not a topper, but on very faded plastic Dlux will not darken like Solution Finish will.

Using Solution to darken and Dlux to protect from UV IMO is a winning combo.

Goose
06-19-2016, 10:09 PM

Bob

I have both of these products. What was your process? How long did you wait to apply UT&T+ over Solution Finish? How did it come out/how long has it lasted? My bottle is at least a year old or more, with the polycharger in it.

richy
06-20-2016, 06:28 AM
In this write up, I discuss how I did it based on a conversation with Chris West from Solution Finish.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/100227-2007-avalanche-keyed-twice-faded-trim.html

Whitewater25
06-20-2016, 08:08 AM
I put solution finish on wifes Lexus suv running boards black step pads. They were almost white from weathering. They look like it just came off the showroom floor. I should have done before/after pics,they look that good! The other plastic looks good as well but the running boards really stand out so I want to top it to prolong that look.

I am impressed how solution finish transformed the black on both of our vehicles. Hoping it holds up for a while.

FUNX650
06-20-2016, 08:18 AM
I agree that Dlux is a stand alone and
not a topper, but on very faded plastic
Dlux will not darken like Solution Finish will.

Using Solution to darken and Dlux to protect
from UV IMO is a winning combo.
To me:
This posting doesn't read like you agree
that DLux is a stand alone and not a topper...
really, it doesn't.

Bob

richy
06-20-2016, 09:03 AM
To me:
really, it doesn't.

Bob

Bob, I disagree with you. I "liked" Ron's comment b/c I totally agree with him. In fact, in the Avalanch thread that I linked in my response, this was verbatim what I posted and I stand by it 100%:

"I then applied SF to all the trim. I allowed it to dry overnight and then wiped it clean the next day. I then applied DLux over all the trim to protect it. I love using SF. DLux is a great protector, but it does not darken the trim. SF darkens it beautifully, but does not last as long as I'd like. So, the 1-2 punch of SF + DLux is a killer combo for both looks and durability!"

TroyScherer
06-20-2016, 09:15 AM
To me:
really, it doesn't.

Bob

While I do agree that Dlux is a true standalone product it doesn't have the "restoration" abilities that something like SolutionFinish has. But the one down side to SF in my experience is the lack of long term durability. And since SF is lacking a "Sealer/Topper" for us average joe's to use I use Dlux to accomplish the task.

I personally don't like the idea of using any other "dressing" on top of SF due to the fact that you are constantly introducing more solvent agent into the SF which will overtime degrade the durability.

swanicyouth
06-20-2016, 09:18 AM
What I am going to say is from my experience.

I gave up on DLux, because IME, it actually damages trim over time (years). While it looks good and beads water like no other, it fades and oxidizes unevenly over time.

This presents a problem. At that point - it's almost impossible to remove the faded / oxidized DLux and the finish of the plastic looks uneven.

At this point, you can apply more DLux. However, IME, this second application only lasts months. It seems it can not bond to whatever original DLux is left.

People who say they can remove led DLux with IPA or APC must be using a different product than me.

This is also why I've avoided paint coatings. Over time (years), the coating may oxidize from UV exposure. So this common sense solution is to polish it off and replace it....

But, paint is not flat... It's peaks and valleys. How will you ever know if you remove ALL the coating from the valleys???? Over time, could left over coating in the valleys of the paint oxidize and subtlety give the paint a duller finish?

Could there be left over coating in the valleys of the paint that could inhibit proper bonding of the next coating?

What I started doing is using Solution Finish and topping it with BF Trim and Tire sealant after the first wash.

Lasts months - and doesn't cause any damage over the long haul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FUNX650
06-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Bob, I disagree with you. I "liked" Ron's comment b/c I totally agree with him. In fact, in the Avalanch thread that I linked in my response, this was verbatim what I posted and I stand by it 100%:

"I then applied SF to all the trim. I allowed it to dry overnight and then wiped it clean the next day. I then applied DLux over all the trim to protect it. I love using SF. DLux is a great protector, but it does not darken the trim. SF darkens it beautifully, but does not last as long as I'd like. So, the 1-2 punch of SF + DLux is a killer combo for both looks and durability!"
•It's not like this was a pre-trial deposition;
-but I do like to initially take people at
their word.

•So...By saying:
-I agree that DLux is a stand alone
Coating...not a "topper"...it actually
means that:

-Except whenever using DLux as a "topper"
over Solution Finish. That's when it doesn't
really count as being a "topper"... :rolleyes:

•Also:
-The introduction of the "darkening factor"
is a point that I never advanced one way,
or another.

-Nice try, though, on that strawman-deflection.

Bob