PDA

View Full Version : Rustproofing overspray removal

Satcho
06-18-2016, 05:19 PM
I have some ares of legacy rustproofing overspray. How can I safely remove? Had some success with rubbing compound but not completely.

Thank You

Don M
06-19-2016, 01:40 AM
The shop I had undercoat/rustproof my car gives the cars a kerosene wipe-down to remove the overspray ... more like a waterless wash really, then a 'regular' wash to get rid of the kerosene residue. On my car at least, it didn't scratch the finish

hoyt66
06-19-2016, 03:19 AM
The shop I had undercoat/rustproof my car gives the cars a kerosene wipe-down to remove the overspray ... more like a waterless wash really, then a 'regular' wash to get rid of the kerosene residue. On my car at least, it didn't scratch the finish

I use kerosene as well for rustproof removal without issue. Idiots at Zieb*** spray everything!

Don M
06-19-2016, 04:28 AM
I use kerosene as well for rustproof removal without issue. Idiots at Zieb*** spray everything!

So does the shop I use ... they spray and hand-pack EVERYTHING, an excellent job really, and they clean up after themselves and get the undercoat off of where it's not supposed to be. I used to work there and that's where I got started seriously detailing cars.

JimmyH5
06-19-2016, 06:43 AM
If it is a rubberized type rustproofing, I've had great success using TW label and sticker remover spray... believe it is citrus based and has done no harm to surfaces I've used it on.

TTQ B4U
06-19-2016, 08:46 AM

This. I use it all the time to remove crap on the rockers and what not of cars I'm detailing.

Satcho
06-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Thank you for everyone's replies.

The overspray was caused by Zieb*** some years ago.

Satcho
06-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Tried citrus-based cleaner with only minimal success. Any thoughts on diesel fuel?

Don M
06-22-2016, 12:10 AM
Tried citrus-based cleaner with only minimal success. Any thoughts on diesel fuel?

Well, it's a very close relative of kerosene ... which one is cheaper & do you have either on hand?

Satcho
07-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Brother-in-law has farm, so diesel is readily available; whereas, kerosene is not as easy to find.

Satcho
07-09-2016, 08:50 PM
I explored the Hold Tight website yet I did not find any reference to rustproofing removal or anything similar.

I'll try diesel fuel.

Satcho
07-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Diesel fuel had only a minimal impact. I shall seek to obtain removal substance from local Ziebart store.

Satcho
07-13-2016, 02:56 PM
Ziebart rep states that they use something similar to mineral spirts to remove undercoating..formula 409 for removal soon after application. I shall try mineral spirits on a small innocuous spot.

Note that I inaccurately described the issue as rustproofing. I should have stated undercoating overspray.

WaxMaster1
07-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Who in the world gets their car rustproofed anymore?