PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washer - $300-$600 Range

Pages : [1] 2

waparson
06-16-2016, 10:33 AM
I know, another pressure washer thread, I have read a lot and still not certain though.

I was going to simply get an electric just for cars and be done with it. But the wife wants one to clean the concrete,brick, etc on the house.

So I'd like to get a gas one that I can use for both purposes.

My thing is, I don't see on many of the ones between $300-$600 that have adjustable PSI. I'd like to be able to turn it down to 2k or so to use a foam cannon and rinsing. Then turn it up for the concrete/brick.

I've never had a pressure washer before, do all of them have adjustable pressures and that's why many don't list that as a spec?

Or should I even worry about having to turn it down with a foam cannon or rinsing, and just be mindful of my distance from the car?

Recommendations for a great gas washer in that price range would be appreciated along with comments/answers for the other questions.

Thanks!

Ancient1
06-16-2016, 10:49 AM
I got the Generac 6590 3100psi 2.8gpm. It can be turned down to basically the input pressure just by turning the black knob on the pump or any pressure in between.

I've never had a pressure washer before, do all of them have adjustable pressures and that's why many don't list that as a spec?

No many don't have adjustable pressure.

Or should I even worry about having to turn it down with a foam cannon or rinsing, and just be mindful of my distance from the car?

I leave mine full pressure usually and use the wide tip and keep a couple feet from the car surface. As long as the foam cannon is rated for a gas unit it can take the full pressure.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/2016-06-16%2009.45.01.jpg

waparson
06-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Thanks for those answers, exactly what I needed.

I was actually looking at the generac brand. I came across a few options, but now I don't know if I should jump up to the triplex style pump for the reliability?

These are some that I was looking at...

axial pump but allows pressure adjustment - Generac 6602 One-Wash 3100 PSI Gas - Cold Water Pressure Washer (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Generac-6602-Pressure-Washer/p13021.html)

triplex pump and allows adjustment - Generac 6564 Semi-Pro 3800 PSI Gas - Cold Water Pressure Washer (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Generac-6564-Pressure-Washer/p12973.html)

shagnat
06-16-2016, 01:56 PM
I would look at other brands. Genrac is all over the charts.... Karcher comes to mind as a good solid brand.

Regarding adjustability, the spray nozzle will dictate the amount of pressure.

waparson
06-16-2016, 02:55 PM
I would look at other brands. Genrac is all over the charts.... Karcher comes to mind as a good solid brand.

Regarding adjustability, the spray nozzle will dictate the amount of pressure.

I had looked at those as well, as I see that name tossed around a lot on here. But Couldn't find any that allowed for adjustable pressure. Most of the cannons I see work up to 2600, but i'd like 3k+ for concrete cleaning, etc. And to me it looks as if the cannons are placed at the end of the spray gun, before the nozzle. So its getting whatever the pump is pushing out.

I could be wrong though.

dad07
06-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Do some homework, read reviews if buying a gas unit. In my experience axial pumps don' t last. A unit with a cat style pump will last forever ( if used properly and cared for properly) at the upper end of your price range there are some very good units out there that will suit your needs. Good luck with your search.

waparson
06-16-2016, 03:07 PM
I came across this as well...

Pressure-Pro PPS3030HCI Semi-Pro 3000 PSI Gas Cold - Water Aluminum Frame Pressure Washer w/ Honda Engine & CAT Pump (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Pressure-Pro-PPS3030HCI-Pressure-Washer/p16430.html)

waparson
06-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Do some homework, read reviews if buying a gas unit. In my experience axial pumps don' t last. A unit with a cat style pump will last forever ( if used properly and cared for properly) at the upper end of your price range there are some very good units out there that will suit your needs. Good luck with your search.

I am, just needed some direction as well. The only reason I knew about the triplex pump over the axial was doing a little research.

Still surprising to see axial pumps on $600+.

dad07
06-16-2016, 03:38 PM
I am, just needed some direction as well. The only reason I knew about the triplex pump over the axial was doing a little research.

Still surprising to see axial pumps on $600+.

Yes it's surprising .... the last one you posted looked solid but I have not read the reviews. The GC Honda engine is a plus, Honda has a gcv or gcx can't remember which is but they are not reliable the GC is tho. Shop around, Northern Tool has some good units in your price range and there are plenty of places to find one

waparson
06-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Yes it's surprising .... the last one you posted looked solid but I have not read the reviews. The GC Honda engine is a plus, Honda has a gcv or gcx can't remember which is but they are not reliable the GC is tho. Shop around, Northern Tool has some good units in your price range and there are plenty of places to find one

Thanks for the info!

I'm right outside of Charlotte as well, small world. From your post count I bet I could learn a good bit from you.

dad07
06-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info!

I'm right outside of Charlotte as well, small world. From your post count I bet I could learn a good bit from you.

Where are you located? I'm actually in Monroe but the day job has me all over the state. Currently working in Greensboro but I'm home on the weekends.

waparson
06-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Ah nice. I work in Harrisburg, but I live in Albemarle. You're not too far away at all.

dad07
06-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Nope not that far at all. If you need some assistance shoot me a pm my shop at home is like the AG store plenty of things to use and try, I'd be glad to help and share.

MIsnowman
06-16-2016, 06:24 PM
I would go for one with a Honda engine and Cat pump. We have had a Honda/cat pressure washer on our farm for years and all we've had to do to it is change the oil and add gas. I'm surprised you can get into a Honda/cat combo for the price range you listed, but I haven't checked prices either. Another thing to keep in mind is the GPM of the pump. Pressure is good, but higher flow keeps things moving, especially when washing concrete, siding, etc.

shagnat
06-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Not to change your mind, but, not so sure you need 3000 psi. Mine is 2500 psi and does a very quality job of cleaning concrete drive ways, sidewalks, and cleaning mildew and moss of the sides of former brick home. Now I've got a vinyl siding home, the correct nozzle works perfectly for that as well.

Adjustable psi on the pump would be my last concern over type of engine and type of pump.

Best of luck.