PDA

View Full Version : Moving on from Meguiars-what's next?

electricgreen
06-14-2016, 08:35 AM
When I bought my Mustang back in 2001, I scoured the web and various forums and whatnot to come up with a car care system (paint, interior, etc) I was happy with. It served me and the car well, leading to multiple 1st place awards including a gold at an MCA event. Some life stuff happened and it's spent the better part of the past few years garage bound, although still kept clean! Now I'm ready to start where I left off, but I am finding some of my old favorites are gone and the "replacements" don't make me happy. While I've had a few products here and there outside of the Meg's line (Mothers convertible top cleaner for instance), I do try to stick to one line-although not all one system.

Previously, for exterior care, it was:

soft wash
(Mothers) vert top cleaner
Westley's tire cleaner (in the can, with the built in brush-long gone)
Hot rims
meg's clay
step 1 paint cleaner
step 2 (deep crystal) polish
gold class wax
gold class trim detailer

(Various other things like endurance tire gel, a protectant in a red bottle I can't recall the name of off hand (I think this was Mothers), etc. I am mostly ok with what I've got going with those parts of the system.)

While some is still around (deep crystal polish can be found online it seems, but I find only ultimate polish in stores and don't like it as well), some is gone (GC trim detailer and I've now tried both meg's ultimate and mothers back to black and don't like either as much).

I need a new system it seems. Additionally, I've got our dailies to keep up on, although the systems there are a bit different since they aren't garage kept. I tried swirl X (the new paint cleaner I believe), ultimate polish and collinite 476 on my daily (silver) but it just didn't do it (I did clay first of course). DH recently broke out the old PC DA and did his (black) DD with Griot's (can't recall names yellow bottle followed by white bottle) and it looked a lot better-of course machining is probably going to be better than doing this by hand on a neglected finish (both dailies are new to us this year, and are over 10 years old), but I've got tendonitis in my arm so I'm not sure I want to tackle the DA quite yet.

I guess mainly I'm looking for suggestions on both types of car-the Mustang might stay on Meg's although I'd LOVE to find an actual good substitute for the GC trim detailer if I stick with them, I'll just have to buy my polish online. Is the SwirlX really the same as the step 1 cleaner though? We moved to a rural area and while I completely support the farming, the farm near us uses "soil conditioners" and my poor cars end up with an icky film when there's a lot of wind and the fields aren't planted (and my house, and, well, kind of worries me as far as breathing it, but that's another story). Car wash DOES NOT remove it, unless it's frequent (our old DD had this issue, and it did come off after many trips through the automatic wash-hey, it was winter). I need a good cleaner! I washed the 'Stang last night and it was almost like I was using a towel that had wax residue in it to dry it (it didn't)-that's the best way I can describe the way the film acts. The dd's will need something-I don't think we need the yellow bottle of Griot's product each time, but I will need a cleaner and polish (I'll stick with collinite wax though since it lasts quite a while and I need that to make it through winter here-no heated space for detailing).

*insert green bounce smilie here* (my fav smilie from the Meg's forums)

Setec Astronomy
06-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Just a couple of quick observations: The products you mention are largely consumer products, which are some degree dumbed down and don't have the breadth or specificity that are available in the Meguiar's Professional/Mirror Glaze or Detailer lines...but you must have some exposure to those products if you've been on the Meguiar's forum.

There are really few products from that early-2000's timeframe that haven't been eclipsed by the plethora of outstanding products that have come about in the last 10 years. If you're really sick about not being able to find Gold Class Trim Detailer I think I have a bottle of it that I will never use, if you're local to me here in NJ.

briarpatch
06-14-2016, 09:14 AM
Don't be too quick to abandon Meguiars.....their Cleaner Wax is still a staple in my arsenal, as is their APC (D101) from their detailers line. I like their Ultimate Liquid Wax (really a sealant), and their High Endurance Tire Gel produces from very nice results.

electricgreen
06-14-2016, 09:29 AM
I am aware I was using the "consumer grade" stuff. When I started out, I was at a turtle wax level of car care (cringe), so it was an upgrade to move to a consumer system from Meg's-but it worked well enough I never felt like I needed to move to the pro stuff. And I just never had the time to fuss much over the dds (I still don't but am still trying anyway) so the consumer level was where I stayed.

I wish I was in NJ (I would definately take it), but I'm in WNY :) Open to suggestions on a good replacement though.

Not to sound too stuck in my ways, but when something works, I don't go about trying to change it. I'm not left with much in the way of options now though, since parts of my system are no longer available-so, rather than patch it together I'm on the hunt for a complete replacement (possibly anyway, at least mustang wise-I will admit to be hesitant to trying a new system rather than just replacing the paint cleaner and some other componants like the GC trim detailer, because even with lack of a really down and dirty weekend long detailing 2x a year for the past few years it shines and beads better than brand new). Not to get into a Ford Vs Chevy type discussion, but I've not been that impressed with the new meg's products and am perfectly fine moving to a different system if need be. Even though about Zaino.

Don't have any pics handy so I snagged one off the interwebs, this is my car:

Somehow it seems it avoided buffer attacks in the year prior to my ownership (it's a 2000 and I bought it in 2001), so it's been basically just keeping it cleaned and maintained-and it's always garage kept and washed or at least Q'D after a drive. The dailies will be a challange, this one is all about keeping it as nice as it is.

electricgreen
06-14-2016, 09:31 AM
This is an older pic with the stock rims but it shows the reflections better

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/attachments/473greeen_077-med-jpg.489686/

Setec Astronomy
06-14-2016, 09:38 AM
I don't have much time this morning, but my recommendations for your trim would be to clean it well with an all-purpose cleaner and use one of these, which will be miles better than that GC trim product:

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html)

BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-trim-sealant-trim-restorer.html)

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html)

The Guz
06-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Why don't you like ultimate polish?

briarpatch
06-14-2016, 09:43 AM
nice looking car.....there are several 'systems' out there....and being new at this myself, I can tell you that it can make your head spin. Griots Garage new BOSS line seems to be fairly straight forward, and 3D products like HD Speed, HD Poxy, HD Adapt and that line-up generally get good reviews. Best of luck with your choices, as I'm sure many of those here that are legitimate professionals will chime in and help you.

electricgreen
06-14-2016, 10:22 AM
I don't have much time this morning, but my recommendations for your trim would be to clean it well with an all-purpose cleaner and use one of these, which will be miles better than that GC trim product:

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html)

BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-trim-sealant-trim-restorer.html)

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html)

Thanks!

The trim on the 'stang is still black and in good shape so I'd probably skip the APC and just hit with a trim detailer product. Aside from washing, I haven't "cleaned" the trim in 10 years and it's still black and shiny. Wish I could keep the DD's trim like that, but they aren't garage queens lol.

Of those, which would you find would work well at maintaining (mustang) and restoring (DDs). I am close to painting/dyeing some of the trim on those because it's just soooo bad (dry, gray and ugly). Blackfire seems to stand out in my head as one I've seen recommended before when the subject of faded trim comes up.

Why don't you like ultimate polish?

Lack of the same depth as the Deep Crystal (I assumed neither would do a whole lot for my silver DD, but it just didn't have the same "pop" on our blue one, which I've used the DC on before). Didn't try it on the Stang yet, haven't had an opportunity to do a full on detail on that yet-still trying to get the DD's into shape.

nice looking car.....there are several 'systems' out there....and being new at this myself, I can tell you that it can make your head spin. Griots Garage new BOSS line seems to be fairly straight forward, and 3D products like HD Speed, HD Poxy, HD Adapt and that line-up generally get good reviews. Best of luck with your choices, as I'm sure many of those here that are legitimate professionals will chime in and help you.

Thanks!

Ha! I felt the same way when I started this back in 2001, now it seems there are 10X the options!! I am considering the Griot's line as it seemed to work well on the black DD and everyone knows that's the most frustrating color to get right.

The Guz
06-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Well ultimate polish tends to darken the paint. This is probably what you are experiencing. If you are looking to stay with Meguiar's, consider M205. It has less polishing oils than ultimate polish but has more correction capability. Gold class wax also tends to darken paint as well. Good for darker colors but not so much for lighter colors. If you wish to stay with the Meguiar's line possibly consider M21 or NXT as it's essentially the same thing. It will give a more candy coated look to silver paint.

If you wish to jump ship there are plenty of quality brands here on Autogeek.

I agree with the recommendation of Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Setec Astronomy
06-14-2016, 11:01 AM
The trim on the 'stang is still black and in good shape so I'd probably skip the APC and just hit with a trim detailer product. Aside from washing, I haven't "cleaned" the trim in 10 years and it's still black and shiny. Wish I could keep the DD's trim like that, but they aren't garage queens lol.

Of those, which would you find would work well at maintaining (mustang) and restoring (DDs). I am close to painting/dyeing some of the trim on those because it's just soooo bad (dry, gray and ugly). Blackfire seems to stand out in my head as one I've seen recommended before when the subject of faded trim comes up.

The reason I recommend an APC cleaning (or some sort of cleaning) is those 3 products are what I would class "trim sealants" and are going to want a clean surface that doesn't have any oily dressing residue.

My favorite trim product is the Wolfgang, but I have to admit I haven't tried the other two.