PDA

View Full Version : 5/5.5 pad vs 6.5 pad on 3401

11B250
06-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,

What is the benefit to a smaller pad on a forced rotation DA like the 3401? I can understand on free rotating DAs that might be slightly underpowered (like PC 7424) but I don't understand going to a smaller pad on a machine that isn't going to slow down no matter what. I would assume if you went VERY large that you might overheat it, but the stock BP can accept 6.5 pads which is usually the norm...

so why would you go to a smaller pad?

I plan on ordering the 6 pack LC Hybrids and will be getting 3x orange and 3x white. I might replace some white with a blue, or just order 3 extra blue. I think 3 pads is enough for a car. (I have other pads which I don't plan on retiring... it's the adam's line of pads that include orange foam, white foam and orange mf cutting)

I came here to ask if there is a benefit that I'm not seeing or aware of so maybe I order the smaller BP and get 5" pads instead.

SKorch630
06-12-2016, 11:15 PM
I have 6 orange, 6 white, 6 blue, 6 black. All 6.5"

11B250
06-12-2016, 11:24 PM
I have 6 orange, 6 white, 6 blue, 6 black. All 6.5"

Any reason you wish u had smaller pads for any reason?

emmjay
06-13-2016, 12:21 AM
With the flex, the size of the pad will affect the polisher walking on you. With bigger pads it tends to walk more. With smaller pads not so much and is easily controllable.

I have both 6.5" and 5" and I used 6.5" the first time I polished my car 2 years ago on the hood. The same week (once my package arrived) I tried the 5" to test the hype and boy is the hype not at all played out. The 5" pad was a breeze to use, so much more control, better correction (for me at least).

Get the LC backing plate in 4" with 5" pads and this machine becomes unstoppable :D

Edit - I only opened one 6.5" pad - the other 11 are still packed :P I have not touched them since using the 5" - what a waste lol

Joe@NextLevelDetail
06-13-2016, 02:34 AM
Its prefrence, and me personally i dont like the 5.5 inch pads on the 3401 infact i dislike it very much.

I like the way the polisher responds with 6.5 inch pads and on larger panels 6.5 inch pads will be more effective at defect removal.

I am also a fan of 6.5 inch pads on my G21 or Rupes 21.

Like Mike says use what you like and use it often

lawrenceSA
06-13-2016, 03:40 AM
The smaller diameter pads will contour to the many complex concave panels on modern carsa a lot easier, allowing you to keep most of the working face of the pad flat in relation to the panel and to help avoid 'pressure points' where only some of the pad is in contact with the paint.

I have both the 5" and 6.5" hybrids for the flex and the only time I reach for the larger pads is on big flat open panels (a roof, some doors, some trunklids, some hoods etc)

Sometimes with detailing, you need to slow down to speed up, and sometimes you need to use smaller pads to get the job done quicker, not larger ones...

Jeremy1976
06-13-2016, 04:39 AM
I have no issues, and am actually liking the bigger pads on the 3401! It's a preference and what you are use to using.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-13-2016, 05:51 AM
The smaller diameter pads will contour to the many complex concave panels on modern carsa a lot easier, allowing you to keep most of the working face of the pad flat in relation to the panel and to help avoid 'pressure points' where only some of the pad is in contact with the paint.

I have both the 5" and 6.5" hybrids for the flex and the only time I reach for the larger pads is on big flat open panels (a roof, some doors, some trunklids, some hoods etc)

Sometimes with detailing, you need to slow down to speed up, and sometimes you need to use smaller pads to get the job done quicker, not larger ones...

Agreed.

Although for me I prefer to use the larger 6.5" pads whenever I can.

Zubair
06-13-2016, 05:56 AM
I have all the backing plates available for the 3401, LC 4" and 6", Flex 4 3/8" and 5.5".

The LC plates require an adapter which raises the polisher further from the paint making it top heavy, tipsy, tiltish, clumsy. It just doesn't feel natural. Do I use it? Yes, I need the 5" pads on 4" bp to get into some tight spots. The 6" bp is well... Useless.

The OEM Flex 5.5" bp works well with all 6.5" pads particularly the 6.5" Hybrids.

The Flex 4 3/8" bp, now this is the best one and most natural feeling bp on the 3401. It keeps the polisher at its intended height from the paint, feels sure footed and confident along with fitting most 5.5" pads out there. This bp allows me to use all manufacturers types of 5.5" thick and thin pads along with the BnS Flat and Low-Pro's which the 3401 loves. It also fits the new 5.5" Force range pads.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-13-2016, 06:13 AM
Absolutely 6.5" pads whenever I can.

richy
06-13-2016, 06:24 AM
I go against the grain here, but I use exclusively the 5" pads. Easier to control and get into tight places. I don't like using big pads.