PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire Crystal Coat train wreck

JandJSpeedShop
06-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Seems that my first attempt to apply this coating turned into a train wreck and I have no idea what I did wrong. I wanted to test it on my motorcycle rear fender. Used the blackfire spray paint prep and the recommended lake country applicator, tried to get 1 drop but got 2. Seemed to go on easy like the video suggested right/left then up/down. However when I went to smooth/level the coating with a microfiber it seemed to stick to the microfiber and just turned into a mess. I was able to just complete buff it off with another microfiber. I was however wondering what I could've done wrong. I wasn't in direct sunlight and the panels were cool to the touch. Did I wait too long to level the high spots? How long does the coating actually take to dry completely? Once I am finished with the lake country applicators do you rinse them in warm water or just let the coating dry in the foam? One time use only?

GSKR
06-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Did you shake the bottle,perhaps it's old.

usmcpab
06-12-2016, 09:35 PM
There's couple of threads describing your problem. I had the same issues with crystal coat. I've been trying to figure it out on small parts but I still get the same results.

vobro
06-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Same happened to me. I bought it when it was on a bogo and applied to 2 prepped cars and it worked great, fast forward 1 month and I wanted to polish out the rear hatch on my Durango because of light marring and scratches. This application was a nightmare, it flashed instantly. I just stopped,re-polished and applied CQUK and had no issues. The first bottle was easy as any other coating but the 2nd bottle was just not right.
All 3 applications were done following directions with the BF Coating Prep. The good news is after 14 months it's held up well. There's a thread on here about the issues you've experienced. As far as the applicators I just tossed them, didn't want to chance any other issues

jsgntulok
06-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Here is a link to one of the threads discussing issues with Crystal Coat: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/96914-blackfire-crystal-coat-problems-2.html

john b
06-12-2016, 11:58 PM
they need to reformulate imo--much easier coatings out there

van185
06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
I agree. I tired it only on a portion of a vehicle and had nothing but trouble. I've used other coatings in the past with great results. If it's all technique I think from reading numerous other forum post there are a bunch of us lacking.

Marc08EX
06-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Uh oh... This doesn't sound good... I have 2 4oz bottles unopened/unused...

JandJSpeedShop
06-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Bad product or user error on my part?

Hokie335i
06-13-2016, 05:13 PM
When I tried this coating, it was ~75* outside and it flashed almost instantly on me. Before I could even get it on part of a panel. By far the most frustrating coating I have used. I suggest looking for another coating to try...I've had great success with Uber Ceramic Coating. Very easy to use

usmcpab
06-13-2016, 07:23 PM
I tried to apply the coating indoors at 60° and still had the problem with the almost instant flash

MattPersman
06-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Yep the shelf life is like 5 seconds. I contacted blackfire about it since I bought it through them saying there was an issue and there was a few emails exchanged with a Bryan but never heard anything more. Maybe forgot maybe blown off don't know but wish there was a resolution either revised product or replacement with another coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob4092xx
06-19-2016, 12:28 PM
I had the same exact issue. Threw the bottle away so I didn't forget and use it again. Stay away from it! I am surprised the owner of the company isn't on here offering free replacements!