PDA

View Full Version : Blue color coming off dash

Ryanjenkins
06-12-2016, 07:05 PM
After using Meguires Ultimate interior on my 2015 GTI dash with a new yellow microfiber I noticed a blue color appearing on my towel. The dash was only lightly dusty. Anyone else experience this? Thinking the cleaner is removing dye from the dash or something. The fun of detailer now I suppose I will try a different product. 1st post thanks.

TroyScherer
06-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Any chance you applied some of the product to the towel to see if it is blue?

I have a '16 GTI and I use Meg's QID and have had no issues.

Ryanjenkins
06-12-2016, 08:02 PM
I did apply product directly to tower but did not notice color until rubbing down the majority of dash. Good thinking I'll check that out some more.

vobro
06-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Is the dash blue? Are you sure it can't be dirt? Was the dash blotchy looking after product dried? IME experience QID is a very mild cleaner and I would doubt it would be capable of doing damage

Ryanjenkins
06-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Black dash. Was cleaned a week prior with the same product ULTIMATE interior detailer. Dash looks great just wondered where the color was coming from. Prolly overthinking it. I'm going to try with a different towel and see if I can rule out that variable. Thanks

Ryanjenkins
06-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Major correction this was the actual product I was using "Meguires nature shine protectant featuring scotchgard"

Ryanjenkins
06-13-2016, 07:08 AM
Any chance you applied some of the product to the towel to see if it is blue?

I have a '16 GTI and I use Meg's QID and have had no issues.

What have you found most effective for the shiny black plastic around the display and gauges?

TroyScherer
06-13-2016, 08:41 AM
What have you found most effective for the shiny black plastic around the display and gauges?

For all the dash and shiny trim I use Meg's QID. (Quick interior detailer) It cleans and protects in 1-step. You can get this OTC as well in the detailers line in gallons. I mist the towel first and then wipe the surface to try and keep the surface fairly dry and easier to buff off any smears.

For the clear gauge cluster i have used Meg's QID but I usually use FK425. FK425 is a better QD and has a little more slickness and help protect from scratching. I have read that our clear gauge cluster is very sensitive to marring and scratching.