PDA

View Full Version : Will this wet sand out?

vettefever17
06-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Hi, everyone. I have been reading the forums a bit since getting far more serious in detailing and doing it the right way. I am curious to see what you guys think I should do on this situation with my new car.

The details: I have already clay bared the car and done multiple combinations with medium and fine cut Meguiar's compounds. I am using a Mequiar's DA with Lake Country pads. All of these attempts have failed getting the major defect out. I have Type II etching. The mineral deposits are completely gone. The car has very hard paint and light factory orange peel. I am attaching a picture below of the damage that can be seen in fluorescent light or bright angled light. Is this pitting too deep to be corrected with wet sanding or a micro buff pad?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9psxtk&s=9#.V13a646i7SE
Here is a higher resolution picture

Rsurfer
06-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Hi, everyone. I have been reading the forums a bit since getting far more serious in detailing and doing it the right way. I am curious to see what you guys think I should do on this situation with my new car.

The details: I have already clay bared the car and done multiple combinations with medium and fine cut Meguiar's compounds. I am using a Mequiar's DA with Lake Country pads. All of these attempts have failed getting the major defect out. I have Type II etching. The mineral deposits are completely gone. The car has very hard paint and light factory orange peel. I am attaching a picture below of the damage that can be seen in fluorescent light or bright angled light. Is this pitting too deep to be corrected with wet sanding or a micro buff pad?

It should sand out, least aggressive first (2500-3000 grit) tape the edges. Do you have a PG?

vettefever17
06-15-2016, 01:49 AM
It should sand out, least aggressive first (2500-3000 grit) tape the edges. Do you have a PG?

Im not sure what you mean by a "PG". If it is in references to a polisher, I only have the Mequiar's DA.

vettefever17
06-15-2016, 01:49 AM
Another question I would like to ask you guys, could a micro fiber pad cut enough to create the correction that wet sanding would to correct all of the etching?

Rsurfer
06-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Im not sure what you mean by a "PG". If it is in references to a polisher, I only have the Mequiar's DA.
Paint Guage

Another question I would like to ask you guys, could a micro fiber pad cut enough to create the correction that wet sanding would to correct all of the etching?
With a heavy compound maybe, but wet sanding is much faster.

vettefever17
06-18-2016, 04:20 AM
I wish I had a paint gauge. The orange peel is minor, but I assume it has decent layer for removal. As for the the micro fiber pads, I am iffy about using those. The defects are not massively deep as it doesnt come to the nail test. I do not think the Mequiers DA spins effectively enough to remove the defect.