PDA

View Full Version : Water tank algae issue

asap2stacks
06-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know how to get rid of the algae in my water tank?4920749208

It's been sitting for a month now since we noticed the build up I want to get this solved on the Sunday that I'm free

GSKR
06-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Dump it and bleach the heck out of it.why is that like that besides being in the sun .

asap2stacks
06-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Not really sure the water was left in there normally we empty them every day at the end of the day but one of my workers failed to do so and that started

ducksfan
06-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I would use chlorine. Clean it/rinse it as best you can; fill with water; super chlorinate. If you lived in a warm weather area you could go to a pool supply store. They could set you up real quick. I don't know what your options are in Maryland.

asap2stacks
06-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Is it safe to use water that has chlorine in it for washing a vehicle tho

Navish360
06-12-2016, 07:26 PM
You could try some fish tank algae prevention solution or tablets. Normally able to find it at most pet stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill110
06-12-2016, 09:59 PM
Is it safe to use water that has chlorine in it for washing a vehicle tho

After cleaning with chlorine and dumping, rinsing, dumping, the remaining chlorine should evaporate.

oldmodman
06-13-2016, 06:11 AM
Chlorine bleach is perfectly OK to use as an algaecide. The concentration needed to kill algae is well below the concentration needed to damage any paint I have ever heard of. But the concentration needed to eliminate your already heavy growth should be to just pour in a gallon and mix it around. Then you should reach in with a long handled brush and scrub it all off. Then wash out the tank. Or you can just use a pressure washer to clean it all off. Then after you have it all clean put in fresh water with bleach to make sure that all the residual algae cells are dead. Wash it out again and refill with fresh water and a little bleach to keep any re growth at bay.

You could also use alcohol, just like in windshield washer fluid. It is stored in a plastic bottle in a nice warn area and i have seldom seen a gummed up bottle. Unless the car's owner used plain old water.

For bleach you should be fine with a tablespoon in a gallon. And you can use as much alcohol as you want. Have you ever seen washer fluid damage the paint? Even up north where the alcohol is used as a washer container anti freeze?