PDA

View Full Version : Removing tape residue - help!!

AutoApollo
06-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Hello everyone, I've got a small problem. I was detailing the upper part of the door (above window) and of course on my particular car there is weather stripping that I must tape off to prevent the pad from rubbing against it and collecting black rubber on the pad. After polishing and applying wax, I removed the tape and a there is a little bit of adhesive left behind. What's the safest way to remove this without messing up the finish? Here's a pic to show you what I mean. (Although this is a pic of the hatch, I have the same issue on the doors)

Whitewater25
06-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Wd-40

ugafiredawg
06-11-2016, 08:19 PM
I have used the WG Perfekt Paint Prep to remove tape adhesive after polishing. It also works well for removing any dried polish on rubber molding too. Just spray it on a microfiber and gently rub the adhesive off.

AutoApollo
06-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Wd-40

Won't wd-40 degrade the wax??

fly07sti
06-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Almost any chemical you use to remove the residue will degrade the wax. Just use what you have to remove it and re apply your wax.

idriveblackcars
06-12-2016, 04:07 AM
This is why I never ever use tape. I never mask anything. It causes more harm than good.

AutoApollo
06-12-2016, 07:33 AM
This is why I never ever use tape. I never mask anything. It causes more harm than good.

How was I supposed to cover my rubber then? Lol. It would transferred onto my pad and scratched the paint even more while polishing

idriveblackcars
06-12-2016, 07:45 AM
How was I supposed to cover my rubber then? Lol. It would transferred onto my pad and scratched the paint even more while polishing

Unless it's an extremely sensitive area I just take my time and never mask. Never had issues. Working with tape is the worst. And if you buff over it the heat from the machine melts the tape goo even more. Just makes one hell of a mess imo.

Whitewater25
06-12-2016, 07:59 AM
I would guess WD -40 might remove the wax but it will get the tape off. You may need a quick IPA wipe to remove the WD-40 before reapplying the wax but that shouldn't be a big deal. Some chemicals will hurt paint so be careful if you use something else. I've use WD-40 to remove duct tape residue that was on for a while so I know it works.

AutoApollo
06-12-2016, 09:59 AM
I would guess WD -40 might remove the wax but it will get the tape off. You may need a quick IPA wipe to remove the WD-40 before reapplying the wax but that shouldn't be a big deal. Some chemicals will hurt paint so be careful if you use something else. I've use WD-40 to remove duct tape residue that was on for a while so I know it works.

Hmm, yea I'll try the ipa first...wiping in one direction then if not I'll try goo gone :/

swanicyouth
06-12-2016, 11:42 AM

I agree.

Especially I the summer - it's a sticky mess.

Honestly, if you bump something rubber and it turns part of the pad black - it won't effect anything. Just clean the pad with a pad brush.

How to get rid of it? You will remove the wax. I use mineral spirits on a cheap MF towel wrapped around my finger.

I wouldn't use WD40. It's meant to leave something behind (grease). Mineral spirits are 100% volatile.

shagnat
07-07-2016, 11:18 AM
WD40 is not greasy at all..... it probably does leave some sort of residue, but, I cannot verify that..... it's a drying type agent and leaves NO lubrication at all.

Alcohol wipe down would be my first suggestion.... but, please take that with a grain of salt as I'm not very knowledgeable except alcohol totally dissipates and leaves NO residue.

oldmodman
07-08-2016, 04:15 AM
I use (since I have a lot of it in gallon cans) either Naptha or Odorless Mineral Spirits. Neither one will harm the paint surface. Both will dissolve the glue. I have found both to work great for decal sticker removal too. I dribble a little along the top of the decal and slowly peel it off. Most of the time all the glue comes with it.

2pennies
07-11-2016, 08:25 AM
WD40 is not greasy at all..... it probably does leave some sort of residue, but, I cannot verify that..... it's a drying type agent and leaves NO lubrication at all.

Alcohol wipe down would be my first suggestion.... but, please take that with a grain of salt as I'm not very knowledgeable except alcohol totally dissipates and leaves NO residue.

I had this problem last night with Duck brand painter's tape that is listed as a great tape for outdoor use including cars. It left a tremendously sticky residue that scratched my paint while wiping after polishing. WD-40 uses Petroleum oil as one of its ingredients so it will leave "something" behind. The consistency of wd-40 is enough to prove that and according to the MSDS sheet on the website, its number one product use is "Lubricant".

That said OP, I used goop hand cleaner. I mistakenly discovered that it is great for removing tree sap. I contacted the company and was told that it is paint safe. It cleaned the tape residue off but left something so I used IPA to wipe it after.

IPA was not effective for me in removing the residue with ease. I will probably stop taping off sections because the lines, residue and difficult removal process ruins the experience for me. Hopefully you got it off OP!