PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Pages : [1] 2

2011 Kona Blue
06-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Think I jacked up a customers vehicle. I did some wet sanding with 2000 grit. This doesn't look right. It's a Nissan Rouge.

bill walsh
06-11-2016, 06:56 PM
you went down to primer it looks like

2011 Kona Blue
06-11-2016, 07:10 PM
you went down to primer it looks like

I'm screwed. I just used 2000 grit lightly for Pete sake

GSKR
06-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Dang

hdez
06-11-2016, 07:43 PM
I suppose this is the moment when a Paint Thickness Gauge could have saved you.

Btw, why did you sanded it?

Nick 93
06-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Damn that sucks. Maybe it has been wet sanded before. I've had that happen with a car at my work before but luckily it wasn't a customer car. I went to go wet sand it and it went right through. We have one of those paint thickness tools now. Might be something worth looking into.

WeekendDIY
06-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Damn man....hopefully you can work through this with the customer. Did this happen by machine ?

2011 Kona Blue
06-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I suppose this is the moment when a Paint Thickness Gauge could have saved you.

Btw, why did you sanded it?

The car had scratches the owner wanted out. In my opinion they needed to be wet sanded like I've done to 40 other cars. The paint was fine while wet sanding. It wasn't until I began buffing it out with my Porter cable 7424 and orange MF cutting pad, this happened.

I didn't do anything different from the other umpteen vehicles I detailed. Matter of fact I wet sanded and buffed other panels of the car and had zero issues. They came out great. Except this one area, went down to the primer. The only thing I can think of is the manufacturer did a lousy job clear coating that area.

I used the same products and orange cutting pad I always use. Grrrrrrrr. How the heck does a orange cutting pad using a Porter Cable 7424 go down to the primer. I didn't even use that much pressure while wet sanding with the 2k grit. The sanding came out great.

JeffM
06-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Japanese car and wet sanding, no way.

Nick 93
06-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Yeah Japanese vehicles do usually have thinner paint. I am still going to bet it was buffed or maybe even wet sanded before unless you let it get too hot. Might be worth asking the customer about any previous detail work. How many passes did you do while wetsanding? Also now that you mentioned you had a foam pad, did you have it angled at all? I know for a fact that the edge of a foam pad can be extremely destructive especially on plastic panels like bumpers. Lastly, do you have an actual business and if so did you have any insurance? I hope this situation turns out well for you and wish you the best.

2011 Kona Blue
06-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Yeah Japanese vehicles do usually have thinner paint. I am still going to bet it was buffed or maybe even wet sanded before unless you let it get too hot. Might be worth asking the customer about any previous detail work. How many passes did you do while wetsanding? Also now that you mentioned you had a foam pad, did you have it angled at all? I know for a fact that the edge of a foam pad can be extremely destructive especially on plastic panels like bumpers. Lastly, do you have an actual business and if so did you have any insurance? I hope this situation turns out well for you and wish you the best.

Spoke with the owner. The car is a 2015 model and never been in any accidents. The car also has never been detailed according to the owner. I left the pad flat in the surface. The damage was not done on a bumper. This was on a door panel under the door handle. I had buffed other areas of the car along with wet sanding and no issues

As far as passes go, no idea. I want even using my flex. I was using my Porter Cable 7424 XP. Do you think the MF orange cutting pad was too much for the paint on the Nissan? I do this as a side business and no insurance.

04accord
06-12-2016, 12:46 PM
with no insurance I wouldnt be wetsanding anyones car. Hope youre able to get this sorted out.

Nick 93
06-12-2016, 12:53 PM
I guess it would depend on how long you held the pad to the paint and at what speed. Did you continue buffing after all the compound was gone? There's just so many variables. At my work I use a DeWalt rotary buffer and its all I've ever used. I set it at 1200-1400 rpms and go down to 600 after a few passes if the scratch is stubborn. On higher speeds things can happen much more quickly especially with a wool or microfiber pad. I did some practice on a wrecked car before and 2000+ rpms can be extremely destructive. I don't think the pad was too much as I have used wool pads on every brand of car except exotics which I don't work on. Also what size pad did you use?

I have never used the Porter Cable but like I said put what speed you used and maybe someone could give you some tips. At this point, I'd take what you can from the situation to improve upon your skills for next time. I will also say it is a good idea to practice on a panel from a junkyard. You could have buffed many times already but some things you don't realize immediately. Maybe you did something different in this one spot you didn't realize. Its a skill and it takes time but with lots of practice you will get much better. I don't know what you can do for the customer and I hope you guys can agree on something. At my work we have to paint a panel if it gets burned.

custmsprty
06-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I have a 2015 Rogue and have had zero issues using orange pads with my G21 and my Rupes Duetto and Mini.

Zubair
06-12-2016, 01:46 PM
You wet sanded way too much.