PDA

View Full Version : If there are great AIOs like HD Speed and Mckee's 37 360, why use 2 step anymore?

Pages : [1] 2

11B250
06-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Hey guys,

I have always used a paint correction followed by sealants on all my cars (the corvette got a paint finishing polish as well). So for me, detailing a car was always a min 2 step process. I honestly always wondered why a "all in one" product didn't exist. Well come to find out, they did and I just didn't know...

I've been researching here and it seems that products like HD Speed, McKee's 37 360 and few others are great all in ones that can correct daily drivers to 90% or better and finish to a very respectable gloss with protectant all at once.

So it got me thinking.... Unless the vehicle is a "Special Interest Vehicle" and you need better than 90% correcting in a showroom setting, Why on earth isn't just about everyone using these? LOL.

I can't wait to try these AIOs for my daily drivers which will make my life so much easier! Kind of want to try it on my vette too even though I've always liked doing a 2 step on that one about once a year.

WeekendDIY
06-11-2016, 03:02 PM
You kinda answered your own question though. Some jobs/paints simply require a two step process. Sometimes you just need to be a bit more aggressive. But the current lineup of AIO's seem to be outstanding.

GSKR
06-11-2016, 03:08 PM
You kinda answered your own question though. Some jobs/paints simply require a two step process. Sometimes you just need to be a bit more aggressive. But the current lineup of AIO's seem to be outstanding.
Agree.

11B250
06-11-2016, 03:14 PM

So that's the truth? At this rate, a traditional 2 or 3 step process should be a thing of the past unless you have a car that needs to stay in showroom condition!

Zubair
06-11-2016, 03:17 PM
If you think the AIO's you mentioned are a great 1 step, wait till you try Menzerna 3 in 1, more cut than any other AIO available and finishes like SF4000(3500).

Mike Honcho
06-11-2016, 03:48 PM
My thinking is some people won't use a AIO because they want to lay down the sealant and/or wax of their choosing that might not be available as an AIO.

silverfox
06-11-2016, 03:50 PM
You can get 95% correction with some newer compounds that leave most paint LSP ready. Multi step is indeed no longer the norm. Only the softest most finicky paint requires that extra refined step in most cases.

dcjredline
06-11-2016, 03:52 PM
More than 97% of the cars I do are for a small used car dealer, I exclusively use AIO's for his cars. They turn out great everytime and even when a regular customer comes to me looking for a 2 step I can usually accomplish what they want with an AIO and save them a ton of paint and money.

JUST my .02

ScottH
06-11-2016, 04:04 PM
The condition a car is in and the condition you want to get it in may require 2-3 steps, and then maintain with an AIO. Also I have found despite the great AIO's we have, discerning owners want more than what they can provide. But as you rightfully mentioned AIO's are great and have an increasing amount of usage. My favorites are McKee's 37 360 and griot's finishing sealant.

ScottH

11B250
06-11-2016, 04:06 PM
My thinking is some people won't use a AIO because they want to lay down the sealant and/or wax of their choosing that might not be available as an AIO.

Nothing says you can't layer it though. Put some wax on top of it! That's what I plan on doing on 1 of my cars anyways.

kevincwelch
06-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Coatings. (Save Carpro Essence.)

That doesn't mean you can't use a single polish to accomplish the task, but you can't use an AIO.

GSKR
06-11-2016, 04:17 PM
You can get 95% correction with some newer compounds that leave most paint LSP ready. Multi step is indeed no longer the norm. Only the softest most finicky paint requires that extra refined step in most cases.agree.

11B250
06-11-2016, 04:22 PM
The condition a car is in and the condition you want to get it in may require 2-3 steps, and then maintain with an AIO. Also I have found despite the great AIO's we have, discerning owners want more than what they can provide. But as you rightfully mentioned AIO's are great and have an increasing amount of usage. My favorites are McKee's 37 360 and griot's finishing sealant.

ScottH

I'm one of those people. I feel like if I see some stuff I couldn't correct, so I end up believing I didn't correct enough or properly. In all truth, not all scratches are the same. one spot might be deeper than other and one spot might not be corrected like rest of the car. I guess I have to understand that's not how detailing works. That's why an AIO would be a great do it all I think. Should be able to satisfy most of the imperfections.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-11-2016, 05:31 PM
There are a lot of times I've come across cars where AIO's(even HD Speed) didn't touch the defects. To the point of, it almost felt pointless to use an AIO.

SKorch630
06-11-2016, 05:38 PM
There are a lot of times I've come across cars where AIO's(even HD Speed) didn't touch the defects. To the point of, it almost felt pointless to use an AIO.

That's the point of a test spot. There's always going to be some situation where a certain product isn't going to work. That's when you reach in the bag and pull out something else.