PDA

View Full Version : Question on Pete's 53 Black Pearl Wax

Pages : [1] 2

StoleIt
06-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Hi guys,

I just got in my Pete's 53 Black Pearl Wax and I'm excited to use it over my Black Light and Jet Seal I put on the car last weekend.

Question, the top of the wax is VERY firm. When I push down on it with my thumb I have to put a lot of pressure to break through the top hard layer into a softer layer with visible oils floating on the surface of the lower layer. The can is marked 10/27/15.

Does the hard crust and stamped date mean it's out of date or is this normal? Should I stir it up?

cleanmycorolla
06-09-2016, 08:55 PM
looks fine to me, why would you poke your finger through it like that tho'?

StoleIt
06-09-2016, 09:07 PM
looks fine to me, why would you poke your finger through it like that tho'?

Seemed extremely hard, wanted to see if the top had just crusted over. I've never had a wax with such a hard crust on the top when I opened it aside from a very old can. Maybe this is because of the oils and such they use? Should I try to mix it up?

custmsprty
06-09-2016, 09:24 PM
I just looked at a jar of Pete's 53 I have that's over three years old and it doesn't look like that, it's not crusty or oily. Hopefully you bought it from Autogeek.

StoleIt
06-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks that confirms what I suspected. Appears it's dried out on top (see how it cracked around the edges) and the layers of ingredients have separated below

Zubair
06-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Cracking and crumbling of even new paste waxes is perfectly normal, a few swipes of a foam
pad and the oily nature returns, no need to go poking.

custmsprty
06-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Cracking and crumbling of even new paste waxes is perfectly normal, a few swipes of a foam
pad and the oily nature returns, no need to go poking.

I have two jars of Pete's 53 and neither of them look like that or are oily or crusty and they are 3+ years old. You can't poke your finger into them like that either. They have been stored in room temp.

Mine are dated 4/23/13

Zubair
06-09-2016, 10:55 PM
I have 2 jars of Petes's, ones new never used, both cracked, as are my DodoJuices, Mothers, Meguiars, Soft99, other Chemical Guys waxes, Natty's etc. My Collinite paste waxes are the only ones not cracked come to think of it. The Mothers pure carnauba paste even came with a paper inside stating cracking/crumbling is normal during transportation and doesnt affect product quality. I have around 50 types of paste waxes and randomly open jars of wax I am about to purchase and almost always find bits broken inside along with cracks. The top part of waxes being exposed will dry up over time naturally, as mentioned above a few swipes to reveal the "moist" area below and you good to go.

StoleIt
06-10-2016, 08:23 AM
I have 2 jars of Petes's, ones new never used, both cracked, as are my DodoJuices, Mothers, Meguiars, Soft99, other Chemical Guys waxes, Natty's etc. My Collinite paste waxes are the only ones not cracked come to think of it. The Mothers pure carnauba paste even came with a paper inside stating cracking/crumbling is normal during transportation and doesnt affect product quality. I have around 50 types of paste waxes and randomly open jars of wax I am about to purchase and almost always find bits broken inside along with cracks. The top part of waxes being exposed will dry up over time naturally, as mentioned above a few swipes to reveal the "moist" area below and you good to go.

Do they all have a 1/4" crust with a bottom layer that is oily, like the oils have separated partially and the upper layer is very firm? I guess what I was expecting was a more consistent product with it the same through all the layers, that's why I pushed my finger in it when I saw it was so crusty. I expected the layer beneath to be similar to the top layer if it was good. When it was very different in consistency from the top layer that's when I wrote my post.

I used chemical guys black light and then jet seal, I was just wanting to avoid ruining my prior hard work if this was bad...

If you're saying it's fine then I will go ahead and use?

cleanmycorolla
06-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Do they all have a 1/4" crust with a bottom layer that is oily, like the oils have separated partially and the upper layer is very firm? I guess what I was expecting was a more consistent product with it the same through all the layers, that's why I pushed my finger in it when I saw it was so crusty. I expected the layer beneath to be similar to the top layer if it was good. When it was very different in consistency from the top layer that's when I wrote my post.

I used chemical guys black light and then jet seal, I was just wanting to avoid ruining my prior hard work if this was bad...

If you're saying it's fine then I will go ahead and use?

dude, just go for it, its not like it going to set your car on fire and remove what you put on there previously, its a solvent based wax, if it doesn't work it won't harm your paint. Use the wax, if it doesn't work then get a refund, whatever but its not going to damage anything, its just some bee's wax and carnauba.

custmsprty
06-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Hi guys,

I just got in my Pete's 53 Black Pearl Wax and I'm excited to use it over my Black Light and Jet Seal I put on the car last weekend.

Question, the top of the wax is VERY firm. When I push down on it with my thumb I have to put a lot of pressure to break through the top hard layer into a softer layer with visible oils floating on the surface of the lower layer. The can is marked 10/27/15.

Does the hard crust and stamped date mean it's out of date or is this normal? Should I stir it up?

I'd say it's a quality issue.

Can you pop it out like this? Probably not. And this is 3+ years old. As you can see I even pressed my finger into it for you. It's a little crumbly which is to be expected of some nubas but it's not crusty by any means or oily.

Hopefully you bought it from AG as they stand behind what they sell. If not, good luck returning it.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/Petes53_zps0vaeeryv.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/Petes53_zps0vaeeryv.jpg.html)

StoleIt
06-10-2016, 12:49 PM
I know this... I spent a day getting it to where it is right now. I didn't want to put something on the top that will just streak and undo all my good work, or wash immediately off...

dude, just go for it, its not like it going to set your car on fire and remove what you put on there previously, its a solvent based wax, if it doesn't work it won't harm your paint. Use the wax, if it doesn't work then get a refund, whatever but its not going to damage anything, its just some bee's wax and carnauba.

custmsprty
06-10-2016, 01:12 PM
I know this... I spent a day getting it to where it is right now. I didn't want to put something on the top that will just streak and undo all my good work, or wash immediately off...

If you put BL and JS on it I'd call it a day.

StoleIt
06-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Gave it a go. Top 1/8" was dried out, but once I broke into the second layer it was fine.

StoleIt
06-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Turned out great I think!