Mike@ShineStruck
06-09-2016, 10:56 PM
You looking to DIY or pay somebody?
I did a few with just paint sealant, going on 4 months
Only going to expect 6 months without reapplication of sealant every month
I'd imagine a year easy with a coating

dcjredline
06-10-2016, 12:08 AM
Depends what "typical" is to you. Typical AG'er that does it I would guess seals it with something and it should last 6 ish months. Typical local hack that gave you the best price...MAYBE 1 month.

It all depends on the application and sealant used.

Setec Astronomy
06-10-2016, 06:50 AM
For cars that are outside 24/7, I'd say two years tops for sanding and multiple coats of Opti-Lens, before the lens is noticeably yellow again. That's noticeable to a 'Geek, so maybe 3 years for a normal person.

bald richard
06-10-2016, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I was thinking of starting to incorporate head light resto. In my offerings.
I'm looking at around $50 for the service & trying to get a feel how long the service would last.
Thanks again, Rick

Setec Astronomy
06-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Just remember I said "tops". But from a business standpoint, if someone comes to you with a horrendously cloudy lens, and you sand it and make it look like new, I'm not sure they will care if it's yellow in a year, as long as it's not all clouded up again. Not sure how they will feel if it's all clouded up again after 2 years.

But I don't restore headlights for a living, so I'm not the best person to ask. There is a huge long thread somewhere about the Spar method that may have some more insight for you if you have a week to read it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/37701-headlight-sealant-spar-urethane-vs-opti-coat-2-0-a.html

Coopers ST
06-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Not to thread jack this, but what are your favorite restoration kits?

RangerDetails
06-10-2016, 09:39 AM
I've been doing headlights restoration for about a year now
(minus winter time). The ones I did a year ago are still holding. I use CG Jetseal to seal the healdights, but will soon go with OptiLens which is supposed to protect the headlights for like 10 years.

Setec Astronomy
06-10-2016, 09:51 AM
but will soon go with OptiLens which is supposed to protect the headlights for like 10 years.

Ha ha, where did you get that from? I don't think OPT makes any claim at all for Opti-Lens, and 10 years would be better than the factory coating, which it certainly is not.

RangerDetails
06-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Ha ha, where did you get that from? I don't think OPT makes any claim at all for Opti-Lens, and 10 years would be better than the factory coating, which it certainly is not.

That is why I said supposed. I can't remember where I saw 10 years but it was not from the company itself, you are right.

But on their website they state "Once applied, Optimum Opti-lens will form a permanent bond to the surface and can only be removed by polishing or paint removers."
I take the word Permanent as a long, long time.

Setec Astronomy
06-10-2016, 10:28 AM
It may be that the Opti-Lens is permanently bonded to the headlight that's yellowing underneath it.

But don't go by what I say, I've only been using OC 2.0 on headlights since 2012 and then Opti-Lens since 2013. And I'm a big OPT fanboy, but it is what it is.

Just for perspective, the factory headlight coatings, which are like what, 50 times thicker than a coat of Opti-Lens, only last for 5 years exposed 24/7. Why is it you think there are so many cars driving around with cloudy headlights?

RangerDetails
06-10-2016, 10:51 AM
It may be that the Opti-Lens is permanently bonded to the headlight that's yellowing underneath it.

But don't go by what I say, I've only been using OC 2.0 on headlights since 2012 and then Opti-Lens since 2013. And I'm a big OPT fanboy, but it is what it is.

Just for perspective, the factory headlight coatings, which are like what, 50 times thicker than a coat of Opti-Lens, only last for 5 years exposed 24/7. Why is it you think there are so many cars driving around with cloudy headlights?

I understand but what would be the point of having a product bond for a long time if it is useless after a short time?

As for factory coating, I get your point but then again, is "factory" really always the best? I think not.

There are so many cars driving around with cloudy headlight for the same reason there are so many around driving with rusty cars, faded and oxidized paint. Neglect. Doesn't mean it unavoidable.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is Opti-Lens will last a lot longer than any sealant or wax.

Setec Astronomy
06-10-2016, 11:02 AM
I understand but what would be the point of having a product bond for a long time if it is useless after a short time?

I don't think there's "a point", I think that's just a fact that it "permanently" bonds. That doesn't mean that the protection it imparts is permanent. Look at some other Opti-Coat threads to see the arguments about what "permanent" means. I would argue that the clearcoat on your car is permanent, but that doesn't mean it will be there forever.

As for factory coating, I get your point but then again, is "factory" really always the best? I think not.

I really don't think there is any argument that the factory headlight coating is equivalent or better than any aftermarket solution. It's sprayed and cured in a controlled environment, and it's way thicker than Opti-Lens. I don't think Dr. G recommends sanding the clear coat off your car and replacing it with Opti-Coat because it's "better" than clearcoat.

g35_coupe
06-10-2016, 11:55 AM
You're misinterpreting the wording in their claim. It's permanently "bonded" to the surface, not permanently "protected". The UV inhibitors have to breakdown over time (science) but the OL will chill the whole time until then. When it's at the end of it's life of protection, just compound it off and reapply. Coatings are just sacrificial layers that form long term bonds to the surface (unlike wax or a sealant).

RangerDetails
06-10-2016, 01:27 PM
You're misinterpreting the wording in their claim. It's permanently "bonded" to the surface, not permanently "protected". The UV inhibitors have to breakdown over time (science) but the OL will chill the whole time until then. When it's at the end of it's life of protection, just compound it off and reapply. Coatings are just sacrificial layers that form long term bonds to the surface (unlike wax or a sealant).

Actually, I perfectly understand the wording, I just thought that it also meant that I would be protecting it.
Doesn't "Hey my product will hold for year but will only actually work for days" sound a little stupid?