PDA

View Full Version : Anyone went from Flex to Rupes?

Pages : [1] 2

11B250
06-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Hey guys,

I bought a Flex 3401 couple years back because I believed it was the better choice for me over the PC and also the cyclo. I liked the power it had over the other two in case I had to do heavier correcting on paint. Mind you I'm a personal user (I don't detail for $$) and just do my own cars usually which most of them are new cars... Maybe it was overkill, but I'm happy I got the top dog.

Well fast forward to now and I've been reading about Rupes. From what I can tell in my research, the rupes is not a heavy cutter like the flex (not forced rotation) but covers almost twice the ground the flex does (8 vs 15 in this case) or triple with the 21.

Does this mean you can do a section of a panel twice as fast just because you are covering that much more ground?

and did you move from the Flex to rupes bigfoot for this particular reason? if so why? I'd like to know...

I'm thinking about selling my flex and getting a rupes, but I'm just not sure if it's worth the hassle of me trying to sell it then adding 100 or more bucks to get a rupes. I don't polish much so none of my stuff gets used often, so perhaps I just keep what I have. I may polish 2-3 cars a year at most. I honestly use them more for putting on sealants on my cars at about twice a year. I could use a PC for that, but I really don't like that machine.

I also don't like the 2 head design of cyclo so I'm not very interested in that (not to mention I'd need all new pads lol).

lastly, I don't think I'll be getting the Mark 2. I'm thinking about Mark 1 for cost

I've cross-posted this amongst few forums just FYI.

Edited to add: I'm also reading alot of stuff on the forums here now about how these polishers eat up pads unless you revise your polishing skills and use their pads. With the flex, I just use the machine with it's own weight and it does the work. I don't think Mike created a book to use a flex, but he did for bigfoot because it's so different? I guess the big question is, what will I gain for going from flex to bigfoot for doing couple cars a year?

Rsurfer
06-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Keep your 3401, unless your a machine geek and need to have the latest. The biggest advantage that the Rupes has over the 3401 is that it won't walk on you and you can polish your hood with one hand.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
06-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Rupes versus Flex will be a debate that will be present for years to come. Obviously, large throw is great technology as Flex now has one. But lets look at your situation in particular:

1. You polish 2-3 cars a year at most.
2. The transaction would cost you money, and time as well listing, dealing with people, shipping, etc.
3. You mainly use it for applying sealant/wax

As I see it, I would not change a thing as long as you are happy with how you use the machine, the results you get, and how comfortable you are with it.

Personally, I polish multiple cars a week. For me, both machines come in handy. The Flex is amazing for cutting after wet sanding, boats, and certain areas like on dually where I can work it better than the Rupes 21 and even my Rupes Mini. I personally need and use both. But my scenario is different from yours. Imagine what you can do with the extra money and time...

Heck, if you still have the PC and do not use it, sell it.

ronkh57
06-09-2016, 07:14 PM
I've got
2 flex 3401's
1 rupes 15mk11
1 flex mini
1 nano

Love em all

Then I got a pc that I use for spreading wax w 3" plate

11B250
06-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Flex does walk for sure if it's not totally level!

Maybe I'll get rid of my PC and get a rupes mini just so I'm in the game with rupes LOL.

Thanks for the honest answer bud. Looking to more of them.

I put the bigfoot 21 mk1 in my cart here but I'm just not sure. I'm gonna have to get bunch of new pads too... for what.. couple cars a year? lol

11B250
06-09-2016, 07:15 PM
I've got
2 flex 3401's
1 rupes 15mk11
1 flex mini
1 nano

Love em all

Then I got a pc that I use for spreading wax w 3" plate

How do you compare the Flex vs the rupes 15? and why didn't you go with a 21?

I would assume most use rupes over the flex for ease of use if you have both to choose from.

ronkh57
06-09-2016, 07:20 PM
How do you compare the Flex vs the rupes 15? and why didn't you go with a 21?

I would assume most use rupes over the flex for ease of use if you have both to choose from.

Love the flex, but it walks and always takes 2 hands. Rupes is simple to use, no walk, and can run one hand if I get lazy on suv roofs (i'm lazy)

I got the 15mk2 cuz it was more power and a shorter throw I figured would be easier to run on curved panels like hood on vette.

I still grab the 3401 more probable cuz that's what I'm most used to

11B250
06-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Love the flex, but it walks and always takes 2 hands. Rupes is simple to use, no walk, and can run one hand if I get lazy on suv roofs (i'm lazy)

I got the 15mk2 cuz it was more power and a shorter throw I figured would be easier to run on curved panels like hood on vette.

I still grab the 3401 more probable cuz that's what I'm most used to

Gotcha. I have a C7 as well. Car is immaculate though. garage kept weekend car. I did a 1 step once I got it last year and probably won't see another one for another year.

So you think the 21 would be too tough for the curves on the C7? Also bought a 2011 CL550 but that doesn't really have many curved corners

ronkh57
06-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Gotcha. I have a C7 as well. Car is immaculate though. garage kept weekend car. I did a 1 step once I got it last year and probably won't see another one for another year.

So you think the 21 would be too tough for the curves on the C7? Also bought a 2011 CL550 but that doesn't really have many curved corners

IMHO - the rupes pads and rupes type pads are thin, so I am kinda scared about hitting the car with an edge of the pad. And you can't use regular thickness pads they wil shred (ask me how I know.....)

Rsurfer
06-09-2016, 08:38 PM

If you can afford a C7 and a CL550, you can afford a Rupes and keep the Flex as a back up.

David Hayward
06-09-2016, 08:42 PM
I have been using a 3401 for 2 years now and just recently got the griots boss 21. I like the boss for big flat panels. It requires less effort to correct vs the flex where I would have needed to apply much more pressure to the machine.

However I could never use just the boss 21 to correct a whole car. There always seem to be areas that it will stall out and I spend more time playing around with positioning it than I would have just picking up my flex. So now I have both on the work cart along with my rupes lhr75

I'm sure really comes down to preference.

The Guz
06-09-2016, 10:25 PM
IMHO - the rupes pads and rupes type pads are thin, so I am kinda scared about hitting the car with an edge of the pad. And you can't use regular thickness pads they wil shred (ask me how I know.....)

Nothing to be scared about Ron. The Rupes pads are not that thin. The beveled edge helps.

dlc95
06-09-2016, 10:29 PM
You're probably fine with the 3401. It's a super high quality machine, and seems to be meeting your needs.

I did sell mine, because I never used it. I would start out with it, but kept going back to the PC. And now, I'm mostly using my Duetto.

11B250
06-09-2016, 10:31 PM
If you can afford a C7 and a CL550, you can afford a Rupes and keep the Flex as a back up.

That's exactly why I can't afford it. I have no money left LOL

11B250
06-09-2016, 10:33 PM
You're probably fine with the 3401. It's a super high quality machine, and seems to be meeting your needs.

I did sell mine, because I never used it. I would start out with it, but kept going back to the PC. And now, I'm mostly using my Duetto.

I really don't like the PC. it makes my hands itch from the vibrations lol... I put a 4 inch bp on it and do the small areas with it.