PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought I knew

Pages : [1] 2

chadcj7
06-09-2016, 06:46 AM
The title says it best. I thought I knew about detailing but sounds like I have a lot to learn. I have always enjoyed taking care of mine and my wife's car. I recently just purchased a 2016 f150 and I want to make sure I take extra special care of it! That is when I found Autogeek. This is my first post in this forum and after searching for a couple weeks I need a little help.

First off I have decided I am not going to jump all in at this time. My pain on my new truck is in pretty good shape but I want to slowly work up to buying a polisher of some sort. That topic alone on what device to buy for a DIY guy just for daily driven cars, gets my brain working! With all of that said I will get in to my hopefully pretty easy questions and let you know what I am going to do.

First off I have started to incorporate the 2 bucket method which is so simple but fantastic. After that I am going to try Iron X. I will admit that this product makes me a little nervous. I am worried about the chrome bumpers and side steps that I have on my truck. Will this product hurt those or discolor them in any way? Will this product hurt my PVD chrome wheels? After I finish that I am going to clay with Mothers Clay. Once I finish claying and I am going to them use Meguiar's ultimate paste wax.

More questions:

1. Can I put the wax on my wheels and windshield?
2. What is the best way to take care of my chrome bumpers, side steps and grill on my truck?
3. I have been cleaning my PVD wheels mostly with water and soap at this time and them wiping them down. I have also been using a little invisible glass to touch them up as well. Any other recommendations?
4. What Terry cloth tools does everyone recommend overall as well?
5. Finally I have been using Meguiar's D101 for internal cleaning. Anything anyone else recommends?

Thank you everyone for reading through this post. This is only my first but I hope to start being more active. I was trying to get a feel for everything before.

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not aware of any issues with Iron X on the surfaces you describe, but follow the label directions.

I'm not a fan of waxes on windshields, but since that Meg's UW is actually a sealant, it should be fine (on your wheels, also).

That wax should also be good on new chrome, later you might need a metal polish, be careful on the PVD surfaces as that's not really chrome like chrome plating, I wouldn't use the metal polish on them (although maybe some people do).

What terry cloth tools? For what?

chadcj7
06-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Thanks for this info so far. I am aware to not use metal polish on the PVD Surfaces. I did pick that up in this forum!

I was trying to get a general idea on what brand fro all around, wax removal, and general purpose. For the inside I have been using some terry cloth tools with the D101 and that has been great. I also don't want to spend a fortune on TC towels as I already have a pretty big bundle of them that I have purchased over the years.

Also do I need to do a pre wax cleaner? Been reading up on that and one person seems to think yes and others say no especially on a new car

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Unfortunately new cars frequently sit out in the elements for a long time, IMO a pre-wax cleaner or fine polish would be advisable. The clay does provide some paint cleaning in its own way.

Most of us use microfiber towels on painted surfaces, the term "terry cloth" usually means something else here and raises everyone's dander unless you are talking about MF (microfiber) terry.

chadcj7
06-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Thank you for correcting me. I meant microfiber towels!

Also is there a good pre-wax cleaner that you could recommend? hopefully something I can pick up locally. If not I am open to ordering. Also I would want to make sure that it can be applied by hand.

I would love to buy a polisher now but I think I need to get over my fear of messing the paint up.

Desertnate
06-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1) Yes, you can wax your wheels, but since you say they are PVD I'd be careful since the appearance might not work our for you. Also, if the texture isn't perfectly smooth that might cause problems removing product. I'm not a fan of waxing the windshield. Other windows, yes...windshield, no.

2) No real experience with chrome, but I really like Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish for my exhaust tips. I'm not sure if it is safe on chrome as the product doesn't specifically call it out, yet it does say it can be used on all polishable metal surfaces.

3) Water and soap is just fine as long as you keep on top of keeping them clean. When they get moderately dirty, or worse, I reach for Mother's Foaming Wheel Cleaner. Great stuff, cheap, and can be found lots of places.

4) The only place I use terry cloth is polishing my tailpipes. I now use micro fiber for everything else since they are much softer and far less likely to scratch your paint or plastic interior surfaces. Cheap microfiber towels which are perfectly acceptable for interior use and wheels can be found in big quantities for not much money. Good MF towels from drying and wax removal can be found here and other on-line retailers for reasonable prices too once you consider how much better results are possible.

5) My interior favorites are 303 Aerospace or McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant. When things get dirty, I'll use a diluted APC.

Since you are not looking at a coating and doing everything by hand at this point, I don't know if you'd gain much by using a pre-wax cleaner. My thoughts are they work best when you can use a DA to maximize their potential. If you wash, clay, and then hit the truck with a good wax, you should be just fine.

chadcj7
06-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Thanks Desertnate

I actually have some 303 Aerospace coming in today to use on my truck cover. Maybe I can use that as well on the interior to protect as well. Also as I mentioned above I meant Micro fiber.

The fear of messing my paint up is more what concerns me on the DA. I know that it would save me time especially since I do have carpel tunnel on my hands and that can slow me down at times especially when I get the clay bar and wax stage. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase. If I do that will open a whole different can of warms as I need to start researching the DA, pads, etc.

For external use is there a brand that you specifically like for micro fiber towels?

Desertnate
06-09-2016, 07:55 AM
I think your reply regarding the MF towels came in while I was typing my response...the beauty of internet forums....

303 works really well on interiors. I think you'll like it. Just be sure to not use it to heavily and then buff it off after application. Not doing that will lead to a slick shiny surface vs the like-new look you are probably after.

Read up on Mike's articles on DA's. They are designed to be safe and it's almost impossible to mess up your paint. In the case of a large truck, I think it would be almost mandatory in the long run. They are well worth the investment. The results are far beyond anything you can do by hand.

For external MF use, I use a drying towel not available here (though you might see some mentioned in older postings). When it comes to wax removal, I really like the Cobra Gold plush MF towels I've received from here included with a couple product kits I've picked up over the years.

chadcj7
06-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Thanks again. I will say the D101 I use for cleaning gives that same affect. I may use the 303 more as a protectant instead of cleaning.

I have read some of the articles Mike has posted but I get confused as well on what type to go with for best all around use

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Thanks again. I will say the D101 I use for cleaning gives that same affect. I may use the 303 more as a protectant instead of cleaning.

303 does make a cleaner, but usually when people refer to "303" they are talking about the protectant. They are two separate products and the protectant is not a cleaner. This seems to be a common misconception and I'm not sure why, maybe it's the wording on the product page.

Since you are using Meg's UW, Meg's Ultimate Polish (UP) could be considered a pre-wax cleaner in this application.

Mike Phillips
06-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the world of car detailing!

I'd recommend getting a foam gun. It's the only way to fly... or foam...

:)

axel06
06-09-2016, 10:13 AM
get mike phillips books there is no subject that is not gone over.. :)

bigdaddy65
06-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the world of car detailing!

I'd recommend getting a foam gun. It's the only way to fly... or foam...

For a truck I'd recommend the half gallon version over the quart.

chadcj7
06-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I will say after washing my truck last night that a foam gun may be in the future as it seems to take forever to just wash my truck. Can I use the soap that I am using today or do I need to use specific foam gun soap?

Also at lunch today I stopped by picked up some Meguair's Ulimate Polish. I am going to use this before waxing and after claying to use as a cleaner. I am going to be applying by hand but this may be the one step that pushes me to buying a polisher!

Also as I mentioned earlier in the thread i had some 303 shipped to me today. I may have ordered the wrong stuff. I received the Marine/Recreational protectant. Will this work for internal use? I am fine with putting this on my bed cover of my truck but hesitant on the internal use

Thanks again everyone. Also detailing has become addictive in how clean can I get my truck. Also my wife won't mind as I will make her car shine as well

Mike Phillips
06-09-2016, 12:22 PM
T

Can I use the soap that I am using today or do I need to use specific foam gun soap?

You want to use a high sudsing car wash soap...

How to wash a car with a foam gun (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74349-how-wash-car-foam-gun.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2111/2006_SLK_350_028.jpg