PDA

View Full Version : Looks worse after polishng w 360

greger
10-18-2007, 12:55 AM
I think I did something wrong I have more defects after polishing w 360 than before.

I am not sure what went wrong but I attempted my first polishing session on my used new to me car (Accord, Nighthawk black). I washed the car, then clayed the area. I was using 360 with the udm on 5-6 with a 5.25 inch green lake country pad, working it pretty slow with about 10-15 lbs of pressure. I thought I had only minor swirls and scratches. I realize 360 is an all in one but thought it did more correcting that this.

I was able to remove some swirl marks and some minor defects but it looks like I picked up far more visual defects after polishing. The paint has more of a shine to it but its showing more scratches. How is that possible. Could the previous wax been hiding these scratchs filling them in? I tried a second pass with the 360 but didnt make too much of a difference. Are these considered more than light scratches.

I ordered some Einszett Intensive Paste and High gloss Polish hopefully that will do the trick as far as the scratches.

Any tips for using the Einszett, I have heard good things about the line in general.

No before pictures of paint.

I took a few pictures of the paint after the polish to show the scratches. These pics were taken about 18 inches from the paint the first two with the flash off. The next two with the flash on is when it looked really bad.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
g

budman3
10-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Those were already there and you didn't notice them. Its not possible for an AIO or clay to induce those types of scratching. If you kept the clay lubed and clean and kept your pad clean, they were already there.

trlblazer3
10-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Budman hit the nail on the head. Unless the pad was contaminated, those marks were already there.

ScottB
10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I truly believe for swirl remover a dedicated polish will help best and specialize in that task, you should be able to repair and truly bring paint to next level with the Einszett offerings.

P1et
10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I bet that the claying induced marring. There hasn't been a single time where I've clayed and NOT caused marring.

You might have to walk away from an All-In-One and get a proper polish. Check out Menzerna's line...

zaxjax
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
The marring will come out after a good polish. Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Final Polish or Nano will do the trick.

THENIZZZEIL
10-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I ordered some Einszett Intensive Paste and High gloss Polish hopefully that will do the trick as far as the scratches.

Any tips for using the Einszett, I have heard good things about the line in general.

Thanks
g

im curious also about that 1z stuff..i have menzerna and its great, but they offer something similar for less...im sur eu havent used menzerna yet...but id like to see your results with the 1z...shows us before n after pix...i mite want to pick up some of that IP thanks and goodluck

D
10-18-2007, 02:33 PM
im curious also about that 1z stuff..i have menzerna and its great, but they offer something similar for less...im sur eu havent used menzerna yet...but id like to see your results with the 1z...shows us before n after pix...i mite want to pick up some of that IP thanks and goodluck

Let me know how you like 1z if you get it. And also keep me informed about the ## stuff.

budman3
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I bet that the claying induced marring. There hasn't been a single time where I've clayed and NOT caused marring.

You might have to walk away from an All-In-One and get a proper polish. Check out Menzerna's line...

The pictures the OP posted definitely isn't clay marring. The clear coat looks to be scratched in the above pictures, especially on the close up. It looks like something was set on the trunk and then dragged across the paint. Clay does marr sometimes but that's not what happened here... unless there was a rock in the clay.

Gary Sword
10-18-2007, 05:44 PM
What ever cause the problem it wasn't the 360. I would repolish it and make sure my pads and microfibers are clean.

steveh4263
10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
It looks to me that you need to use a different pad, a orange pad has some cutting power, a yellow even more. I think it is the pad myself. The polish is only good as the pad that is removing the problems. I would use a orange pad first and if that does'nt work try a yellow pad. Take your time as well and if you know someone who has done some car detailing get some help from them. I could be wrong as I'm still a newbie to this. I don't have polisher yet, but I'm planning on a ultimate detail machine.

greger
10-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I wanted to thank everybody for all the advice and input.

I bet that the claying induced marring. There hasn't been a single time where I've clayed and NOT caused marring

P1et I was pretty careful with the clay. It didnt pick up much the car was garaged and had low milelage from the previous owner. Then again I didnt like C other Guys clay I was using, it didnt do too much. I tried clay magic once before and was impressed with the way it worked. I am going to pick some up locally and hit it again before I polish with the 1Z.

Thanks Nizzzeil. Your right, I wanted to get the Menz but it was just too much $$$. But of course I could have gotten the 106ff and the SIP but for a the same money i got the IZ IP & HGP a gallon of ONR and some Nattys blue. The honda clear is so soft any real polish prob would have worked (the 1Z will really be put to the test on my bro-in-laws S8). I am most curious as to how the 1Z will finish in my case. I will post some pics once I get it done.

Let me know how you like 1z if you get it. And also keep me informed about the ## stuff.

D&D, I ordered it but missed the cut off for shipping on Tuesday which means I wont see it till next week. I will post results of the IZ products. As for the C other Guys stuff if thats what u meant. I tried it the JS on a friends car, it looked really really nice on his silver Denali. I have a some of their other rebranded products, picked them up localy I wasnt overly impressed with them. I think the standouts are the JS, CW and a few of the nubas from my experience.

The pictures the OP posted definitely isn't clay marring. The clear coat looks to be scratched in the above pictures, especially on the close up. It looks like something was set on the trunk and then dragged across the paint. Clay does marr sometimes but that's not what happened here... unless there was a rock in the clay.

Budman3, You are right that something was set on the trunk, I know the orig owner did that as I saw him do it more than once. He did it once after I agreed to purchase it. A messenger bag now that I think about it. I was also very mindfull and kept checking the clay after every pass or two.

What ever cause the problem it wasn't the 360. I would repolish it and make sure my pads and microfibers are clean.

Gary, I agree I dont think it was the 360 either. It had to be my process or they were there but hidden or better yet dulled by the previous waxes. My pads were brand new LC CCS pads, granted I didnt wash them out as I read you didnt have to with the ccs. I know I am supposed to wash out the other type of foam pads before an initial use. Should I wash the new CCS as well? I guess it wouldnt hurt.

thanks
g

Rsurfer
10-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I think I did something wrong I have more defects after polishing w 360 than before.

I am not sure what went wrong but I attempted my first polishing session on my used new to me car (Accord, Nighthawk black). I washed the car, then clayed the area. I was using 360 with the udm on 5-6 with a 5.25 inch green lake country pad, working it pretty slow with about 10-15 lbs of pressure. I thought I had only minor swirls and scratches. I realize 360 is an all in one but thought it did more correcting that this.

I was able to remove some swirl marks and some minor defects but it looks like I picked up far more visual defects after polishing. The paint has more of a shine to it but its showing more scratches. How is that possible. Could the previous wax been hiding these scratchs filling them in? I tried a second pass with the 360 but didnt make too much of a difference. Are these considered more than light scratches.

No before pictures of paint.

I took a few pictures of the paint after the polish to show the scratches. These pics were taken about 18 inches from the paint the first two with the flash off. The next two with the flash on is when it looked really bad.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
gRun your finger nail over the scratch and if you can feel it, it's past your clear coat and the best that you can do is fill it with a glaze and wax over it. BTW those scratches were not caused by the 360.

greger
10-18-2007, 07:05 PM
It looks to me that you need to use a different pad, a orange pad has some cutting power, a yellow even more. I think it is the pad myself. The polish is only good as the pad that is removing the problems. I would use a orange pad first and if that does'nt work try a yellow pad.

Steve I thought about that as well. I did work it slow enough or so I think, still a newbie myself. But I figured since 360 is an AIO type of product how much more cutting power will it have by moving up to an orange or yellow pad.

The green LC pad I had was not from AG so its falls between the Orange and White. It actually felt rougher than the WG orange pads I received w my UDM.

But you raise a good point, is it beneficial to try a stronger pad with 360, will you yield any better results. Is it more the pad or the product in this case. I wonder since you have to work 360 till its gone if the roughness of the orange and yellow pads outweigh the correction you will get.