PDA

View Full Version : Almost out of WETS - Any others to consider?

TTQ B4U
06-08-2016, 06:48 AM
I'm almost out of a small bottle of WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) and am wondering if I should buy it again or if the group feels there's another product that is better in terms of keeping trim sealed up, black and last a long time. WETS is far better than the consumer grade OTC Stuff that I've tried over my lifetime. No complaints and would use it again but I'm always interested in learning from others and what is most current and good.

Insight appreciated.

GSKR
06-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Wets is a very nice product,but dirt and dust cling to it especially the tires.I switched to black fire dries to the touch quickly

PA DETAILER
06-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Griots Garage Black Shine Trim Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-trim-restorer.html)

I have been using this on all the xterra exterior trim. No complaints. Appears to be really holding up well and protecting. The included applicator is really great! So much that griots sells them seperatly. One tip i can include is to wipe down with a MF towel to even out the look.

Eldorado2k
06-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Wets is a very nice product,but dirt and dust cling to it especially the tires.I switched to black fire dries to the touch quickly

All the neverending love and it suffers from this problem? Smh.

Setec Astronomy
06-08-2016, 07:40 AM
All the neverending love and it suffers from this problem? Smh.

I don't know, if I used it on a tire, it was on a winter tire before storage, but I've never had any dust accumulation on WETS on trim. Like any dressing, you need to wipe down the excess.

Is there anything better than WETS? Not that I have used, but I do have a bottle of the Blackfire Total Trim & Tire that I haven't used yet.

The Guz
06-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Blackfire is too finicky on certain trim pieces. Especially on smooth trim. It's one of the reason's I do not like using it. I have never experienced any dust cling on trim with using WETS. I don't use it on tires. Not cost effective. There are also better products for tires.

TTQ B4U
06-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

FYI....this is just for the rubber and plastic trim on vehicles not tires. I have my go-to for tires. It's all the other parts that I need to protect now that I'm looking for opinions and options for.

Continued thanks. Looking forward to learning more about products out there.

Setec Astronomy
06-08-2016, 10:34 AM
I think there's really only 3 products in this category--WETS, the Blackfire TTTS, and Ultima Tire & Trim Guard. A lot of people don't seem to like the UTTG after they changed to the water-based formula; I can't speak to that since I've never used either version.

I bought a huge bottle of WETS when it was on sale when it first came out and as you know the stuff really goes a long way so I still have plenty left, even though I couldn't resist buying a little bottle of the BTTTS to try...someday.

People talk about PERL being in this category of "trim sealants" but that seems to not have a clear consensus. It seems to be a standard PDMS dressing with a silica additive. Some people report that it's not much better than a traditional dressing, and some seem to say that it's almost like a coating. I have a little sample bottle that I'm going to try...someday.

You could also go radical and try something like DLUX. On certain surfaces the coatings are phenomenal...it's just sometimes hard to know which surfaces those are beforehand.

TRDTACO
06-08-2016, 10:56 AM

I love wets, and ive never had any issues with dust sticking to it. I just got a new truck with a hard plastic tonneau cover and im definitely going to go over the whole cover with wets this weekend and any other trim since its new and i want to protect it from the start.

Bobby B.
06-08-2016, 11:01 AM
The Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is my go-to product for plastic trim. I've tried other products but I always go back to the WETS.

Nick McKees37
06-08-2016, 11:10 AM
If you've been using WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) over and over again on your vehicle, I would stick with it. Here's why:

This product is the real deal - it lasts a long time, and even when the appearance starts to diminish slightly, the "good stuff" is still present on the plastic/rubber trim. Switching to a new product at this point would result in some bonding issues.

There's a reason we haven't changed this formula since it debuted nearly 5 years ago. We haven't found a way to improve it. :)