PDA

View Full Version : Detailers... top mistakes customers make

Pages : [1] 2

Rod73
06-08-2016, 06:46 AM
I was looking to start a thread of the top mistakes Auto Detailers see from people in terms of maintaining their cars. Primarily when the wash their cars. :)

GSKR
06-08-2016, 06:56 AM
I see this all the time driving home.This guy was washing f150 with a shirt.or the ones who put a small vacuum on the trunk of the car while vacuuming the car.or using windex with newspaper in 95 degrees.i could keep going.

FUNX650
06-08-2016, 07:06 AM
I was looking to start a thread of the top
mistakes Auto Detailers see from people
in terms of maintaining their cars.

Primarily when the wash their cars. :)
Washing a vehicle whenever the panels'
temperature will not allow them to rest
the palm of their hand upon the panels
for an extended period of time.

Bob

Eldorado2k
06-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Washing their cars with plain water and a shop rag. I can't tell you how many guys I've seen make this mistake. It's like they believe they're actually doing something good by washing their car as pure as can be.. Somewhere along the line they've been mislead to think car wash soap is a scam.

octane
06-08-2016, 07:21 AM
taking a freshly polished car to a brush type car wash...

spent 10 hours polishing a beat up black BMQ Z4 bought at auction, the guys call me a couple of days later, says that there was pollen on the car, so he went to the car wash, and all the scratches reappeared....

GSKR
06-08-2016, 07:25 AM
I love the let's apply wax on everything including the glass all at once,then letting it bake on there.or washing the car and putting the mats on the roof along with all kinds of stuff.or the hose won't reach so I will rest it over the hood to gain that little bit of length.The worst part is when they call you to detail,and your standing there trying to figure out what the heck did they use to get the bugs off the front of the car and headlights and mirrors.you ask them and they will say I didn't do that.Its like common sense is totally gone.

GSKR
06-08-2016, 07:38 AM
Everyday upon exiting my neighborhood,I see this black ls 400 with dried on wax everywhere.I give the older people credit even if it's a poor job to have the motivation to try and take care of there car in 95 degree heat.They soap up the whole car all at once and let it sit on there while there doing the wheels.ok I think I have it all summed up,no rain today time to make some money have a gd day gentlemen.

Setec Astronomy
06-08-2016, 07:44 AM
The worst part is when they call you to detail,and your standing there trying to figure out what the heck did they use to get the bugs off the front of the car and headlights and mirrors.you ask them and they will say I didn't do that.Its like common sense is totally gone.

I don't know, I think they are using their common sense. For many people, their most common cleaning task is dishes, and if they have some stuck or burned on piece of food, they use steel wool or a kitchen scrubber. So I think it's logical to them, if they have something stuck on their car (which they are probably washing with dish soap--see the connection?) to use the same approach.

briarpatch
06-08-2016, 07:46 AM
I love it when they're dragging the enormous shop-vac around and it bumps into the car repeatedly

RangerDetails
06-08-2016, 08:48 AM
This guy was washing f150 with a shirt.

I always wash cars with a shirt. I never wash a car shirtless.:p

TTQ B4U
06-08-2016, 09:54 AM
I watch my neighbor dry his dark green Toyota with old towels that look rougher than my door mat. Likely not even 100% cotten but cheap combo towel that he had just sitting in his garage. I can literally see the swirls from my driveway. Would be a beautiful green too if it was corrected.

Rod73
06-08-2016, 02:41 PM
You know with many of these responses lol I'm not surprised but at the same time you still say to yourself wow haha.

Keep em coming.

2black1s
06-08-2016, 03:00 PM
The thing I notice most often is washing a car in the direct mid-day sunlight.

Grifffx4
06-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Drive through car washes

GSKR
06-08-2016, 04:07 PM
I don't know, I think they are using their common sense. For many people, their most common cleaning task is dishes, and if they have some stuck or burned on piece of food, they use steel wool or a kitchen scrubber. So I think it's logical to them, if they have something stuck on their car (which they are probably washing with dish soap--see the connection?) to use the same approach.good point.