PDA

View Full Version : A little confused/curious - Autogeek vs sister sites

emmjay
06-07-2016, 12:50 PM
So,

As of late i've been noticing a lot of conflict between autogeek and its sister sites that has me a little confused. I thought they were the same company :/ No bashing is intended, just trying to fight my curiosity :)

1. Sales are very very different with different minimum shipping amounts. Dont they get shipped from the same warehouse using the same shippers (ups, fedex etc....) Why the difference. Heck Pinnacle offerred free shipping above $50 on the same day that autopia was free above $100 and autogeek was free above $150

2. Prices are different - especially microfiber. Autopia towels are wayyyyy more expensive. Everything else is around the same.

3. Forum rules - Autogeek forum rules are strict about brands that we can talk about , while autopia is chill. If both are forums run by the same company then whats the difference.

Is there something I am missing - ive been on here for a while now and maybe this has been covered before but it would be good to know anyways :)

Just curious.

natewood70
06-07-2016, 01:03 PM
So,

As of late i've been noticing a lot of conflict between autogeek and its sister sites that has me a little confused. I thought they were the same company :/ No bashing is intended, just trying to fight my curiosity :)

1. Sales are very very different with different minimum shipping amounts. Dont they get shipped from the same warehouse using the same shippers (ups, fedex etc....) Why the difference. Heck Pinnacle offerred free shipping above $50 on the same day that autopia was free above $100 and autogeek was free above $150

2. Prices are different - especially microfiber. Autopia towels are wayyyyy more expensive. Everything else is around the same.

3. Forum rules - Autogeek forum rules are strict about brands that we can talk about , while autopia is chill. If both are forums run by the same company then whats the difference.

Is there something I am missing - ive been on here for a while now and maybe this has been covered before but it would be good to know anyways :)

Just curious.

I've noticed that also, but some things do come to mind for all your questions:

1. The sales might be different simply because of the selection of products and potential for profit margin. At the end of the day PBMG is in this to make some money... they just so happen to really know how to give back to their customers and online community. On pinnaclewax.com you are narrowed down to that specific brand for the most part, and those products might have much much higher profit margin than the BOGO's or sales on gallon containers of product that cost a ton more to ship from AG. By focusing the products sold by that in house team at PBMG and not worrying about lower margins by reselling other brands, right off the bat they can make more money EVEN if the shipping costs are put back on them.

2. I've got nothing pertaining to towels... but pricematch will work this out.

3. I think this is similar to when 3M acquired Meguiars. Although the company was purchased by another, due to the success they might not mess with it a whole lot to just let it run its normal course. Not many people actually know that 3M own Megs, and I think they did that on purpose. It could be the same concept here to let those two separate (although they are now the same entity) be unique.

DISCLAIMER: This is all speculation on my part... But just seems to fall in line with good business practice IMO.

emmjay
06-07-2016, 01:08 PM
1. The sales might be different simply because of the selection of products and potential for profit margin. At the end of the day PBMG is in this to make some money... they just so happen to really know how to give back to their customers and online community. On pinnaclewax.com you are narrowed down to that specific brand for the most part, and those products might have much much higher profit margin than the BOGO's or sales on gallon containers of product that cost a ton more to ship from AG. By focusing the products sold by that in house team at PBMG and not worrying about lower margins by reselling other brands, right off the bat they can make more money EVEN if the shipping costs are put back on them.

2. I've got nothing pertaining to towels... but pricematch will work this out.

3. I think this is similar to when 3M acquired Meguiars. Although the company was purchased by another, due to the success they might not mess with it a whole lot to just let it run its normal course. Not many people actually know that 3M own Megs, and I think they did that on purpose. It could be the same concept here to let those two separate (although they are now the same entity) be unique.

DISCLAIMER: This is all speculation on my part... But just seems to fall in line with good business practice IMO.

That definitely makes sense, especially point 1.:props:

Did not think of that way.

idriveblackcars
06-07-2016, 01:42 PM
I like Autopia. Been using them on and off since 2008. Always great service always a pleasure.

Setec Astronomy
06-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Autopia was a different forum/brand/store that was acquired a couple years ago by PBMG (it's a little more complicated than that, but I'm keeping it simple). It's a little different audience and they try to differentiate the stores.

Nick McKees37
06-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Each site offers unique products (There's a lot of cool stuff on Autopia that cannot be found on the Geek), and the manufacturer sites (Pinnacle Wax, Wolfgang Car Care, etc) offer exclusive promotions for just those brands.

While they're all owned by Palm Beach Motoring Group, they operate independently from each other to deliver a unique shopping experience.

Which one is "best" depends entirely on what you're shopping for. :xyxthumbs:

emmjay
06-08-2016, 12:28 PM
I like Autopia. Been using them on and off since 2008. Always great service always a pleasure.

I used them during memorial day sale and really happy with what I got. I did not buy any towels due to the almost double price...but I did save on shipping and everything else :P

Autopia was a different forum/brand/store that was acquired a couple years ago by PBMG (it's a little more complicated than that, but I'm keeping it simple). It's a little different audience and they try to differentiate the stores.

That makes sense! I had no idea it was acquired but I do now after a little digging yesterday.

Each site offers unique products (There's a lot of cool stuff on Autopia that cannot be found on the Geek), and the manufacturer sites (Pinnacle Wax, Wolfgang Car Care, etc) offer exclusive promotions for just those brands.

While they're all owned by Palm Beach Motoring Group, they operate independently from each other to deliver a unique shopping experience.

Which one is "best" depends entirely on what you're shopping for. :xyxthumbs:

Thank's Nick! Had no idea they operate independently! :)

To be honest, I was impressed with the deal I got. I shall just continue buying my towels from AG haha :D

JeffM
06-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Autopia is like New Hampshire and this place is like California. Still in the USA, both cool in their own way. Way more regulations in Cali...