PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to wash the car again before adding LSP?

JoeyGT
06-07-2016, 11:56 AM
As soon as I was done polishing the car with HD Speed, it started to rain so I had to put the car in the garage. Unfortuneatly, I won't be able to seal the car with HD Poxy until this coming weekend. Since the garage isn't finished, the car gets coated in dust and other misc. particles.
If I don't drive it for the week, do you think I can get away with just rinsing the car down well (either with water or a foam gun), drying, then adding sealant? Or should I just do another hand wash?

I am trying to avoid handwashing the car because I don't want to induce any swirls before I add the sealant.

custmsprty
06-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Just wipe it down with a waterless wash product and you should be fine. Don't use a detailing spray.

natewood70
06-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Just wipe it down with a waterless wash product and you should be fine. Don't use a detailing spray.

+1

The rinsing and foaming might be enough to get the dust and what not off, but since you just spent all that time polishing the car out I wouldn't risk it.

Using a rinseless will give you the lubricity that you need and peace of mind knowing that all the dust and other particles will be taken off the paint in a safe manner.

JoeyGT
06-07-2016, 01:41 PM

+1

The rinsing and foaming might be enough to get the dust and what not off, but since you just spent all that time polishing the car out I wouldn't risk it.

Using a rinseless will give you the lubricity that you need and peace of mind knowing that all the dust and other particles will be taken off the paint in a safe manner.

Thanks for the input guys.

I don't have any rinseless wash, and doubt I will have it shipped to me in time for the weekend.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I want to add the sealant without undoing my work!

kaliagent2001
06-07-2016, 01:55 PM
rinse with the hose and use dry the car using a drying aid then seal.

FUNX650
06-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Why the consternation...
Isn't HD Speed an AIO: a Cleaner, Polish,
and a Sealant (LSP)...all wrapped up into
one product?

Bob

DetailKitty
06-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Why the consternation...
Isn't HD Speed an AIO: a Cleaner, Polish,
and a Sealant (LSP)...all wrapped up into
one product?

Bob

yes, but used with Poxy and the "LSP" part of it is increased exponentially.

FUNX650
06-07-2016, 03:09 PM
yes, but used with Poxy and the "LSP" part of it
is increased exponentially.
If so...
Would this apply to "Poxy-topping"
any/all the other AIOs?
Or would the "topper" have to be an LSP
from within the same "family" of products?

Bob

Jaretr1
06-07-2016, 03:13 PM
If so...
Would this apply to "topping" all the
other AIOs?

Bob

I think so Bob! I used to top XMT360 with 845.

However, if its just light dust, I think you can get away with using a good quick detailer and a high quality microfiber.

custmsprty
06-07-2016, 03:48 PM
If so...
Would this apply to "Poxy-topping"
any/all the other AIOs?
Or would the "topper" have to be an LSP
from within the same "family" of products?

Bob

Speed has Poxy in it and the as a LSP Poxy on top increases the depth and wetness along with adding months of additional protection. In my experience with these two products and the system I use when I'm working with them I'd say at most it adds about 30 minutes to the process.

JoeyGT
06-07-2016, 03:50 PM
I've heard the durability on HD Speed isn't that great, which is why many detailers top it off with HD Poxy.

I used HD Speed mainly for the correction aspect, not the protection part.

custmsprty
06-07-2016, 04:03 PM
I've heard the durability on HD Speed isn't that great, which is why many detailers top it off with HD Poxy.

I used HD Speed mainly for the correction aspect, not the protection part.

Living in Florida I can comment from first hand experince.

HD Speed in the realm of any other aio has reasonable durability.

And most importantly durability of any product is totally subjective.

Durability is based upon numerous factors.

Is the vehicle garage kept?
Is it parked in a parking garage during the daytime?
It it outside 24/7?
In what environment is it parked?
What color is the vehicle as the surface will experience different temperatures based upon vehicle color.
How often is the vehicle washed?
Is a maintaining product used after washes or between applications of protection with a wax or sealant?

IMHO it's not realistic to assess any particular products longevity no matter the manufacturer without taking all of these factors into consideration for each individual vehicle and product used.

I prefer to find out through my own personal testing whenever possible.

Hope this makes sense.