PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new GT500

Pages : [1] 2

Taguk
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi, I'll be taking delivery of a new Torch Red GT500 in a few weeks and I'm looking for any advice on the best products to use (I know this is largely subjective) and also the types of products I should use.

I recall seeing a post(s) recommending wash, clay, wax as the steps but would really appreciate advice from members here particularly as this is a new car and I'm keen to start off correctly.

Thanks,

TagUK

ehuth1
10-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Give it a good wash. Then clay necessary areas or just take your time and do the whole car. I would use a light polish and then seal the car with your choice of sealant or carnuba. What color combination are you looking at getting?

Taguk
10-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. The car will be red with the white stripe, black interior.
http://www.atlanticsportscars.com/vehicles/2007MustangShelbyGT500/data/thumb_image_1.jpg

ehuth1
10-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. The car will be red with the white stripe, black interior.
http://www.atlanticsportscars.com/vehicles/2007MustangShelbyGT500/data/thumb_image_1.jpg

Personally I would coat that red with some DG 105 TPP and maintain with DG Aquawax, but I'm sure you will get different opinions and thats what forums are for.

wytstang
10-17-2007, 10:49 PM
If the car is being delivered I strongly suggest you tell the dealer not to have the folks detail it or you will reject the car. That would be step one. Second get a nice sheep skin wool wash mitt and 2 wash buckets, clay, rewash (optional), wax or sealant of your choice...
The reason for not letting the dealer wash it is they use crappy brushes and rags. They are going to scratch the clear coat fast. Leaving you to either pay a detailer to remove them or you pick up the products necessary for correcting the paint. Matter of fact tell them to leave the plastic wrapping on the car as you will do it your self (if you want).
I did this with my wifes Fusion which has prolonged any CC scratches to this day. Very minimal scratches after a year of daily driving it.

Jimmie
10-17-2007, 10:56 PM
If the car is being delivered I strongly suggest you tell the dealer not to have the folks detail it or you will reject the car. That would be step one. Second get a nice sheep skin wool wash mitt and 2 wash buckets, clay, rewash (optional), wax or sealant of your choice...
The reason for not letting the dealer wash it is they use crappy brushes and rags. They are going to scratch the clear coat fast. Leaving you to either pay a detailer to remove them or you pick up the products necessary for correcting the paint. Matter of fact tell them to leave the plastic wrapping on the car as you will do it your self (if you want).
I did this with my wifes Fusion which has prolonged any CC scratches to this day. Very minimal scratches after a year of daily driving it.

:whs:. Most dealers that we have heard understood and honored this request.
After you get it, Wash-Clay-Polish-Protect (you may not need to polish).

ScottB
10-18-2007, 08:51 AM
The Pinnacle Sizzling Shine Kit made my C6 look like a million bucks on its delivery date, didnt even allow dealer to pull plastic off it.

supercharged
10-18-2007, 09:07 AM
No dealer washes for me...I don't want a DISO (dealer installed swirl option).

mixxer
10-18-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/9751-mixxy-evolution-again-time-2008-gt500.html

StephenK
10-18-2007, 05:52 PM
whatever you dont do this. there is a few curse words in video. sorry

YouTube - JOEY'S CRASH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZT5mQLy5C4)

kid would have never gotten the keys from me. and i would have beat that kid til GOD himself came down and told me to stop.

Truls
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Duragloss 105 follow that one up with the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, step back and think "oooh!!! thats RED"

There are no probs claying the car, it gets the paint smooth, personaly i also would use the Duragloss 101 first to clean the paint up real good before adding the Duragloss 105 (let it cure 24h) then the Pinnacle LS.....

wash
clay
DG101
DG105
Pinnacle LS

All done by hand, easy on easy off...

Get some Cobra Microfibers to buff the cleaner/polish off, and some good washing tools, to keep the swirls away (GritGuard, foamgun, ShMitt, DG901/poorboys SS&S and the guzzler) Duragloss aquawax as a once a month QDer or/and the Pinnacle souveran spray wax, then your all sett i guess...

AND i def know we want PICS of your car afters, GT500 in red is a wicked car....

Taguk
10-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Duragloss 105 follow that one up with the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, step back and think "oooh!!! thats RED"

There are no probs claying the car, it gets the paint smooth, personaly i also would use the Duragloss 101 first to clean the paint up real good before adding the Duragloss 105 (let it cure 24h) then the Pinnacle LS.....

wash
clay
DG101
DG105
Pinnacle LS

All done by hand, easy on easy off...

Get some Cobra Microfibers to buff the cleaner/polish off, and some good washing tools, to keep the swirls away (GritGuard, foamgun, ShMitt, DG901/poorboys SS&S and the guzzler) Duragloss aquawax as a once a month QDer or/and the Pinnacle souveran spray wax, then your all sett i guess...

AND i def know we want PICS of your car afters, GT500 in red is a wicked car....

Thanks for all the advice guys, rest assured I'll definitely be posting photos when she arrives (hopefully in about 2 weeks).

TagUK

ryandamartini
10-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Torch Red? Mustang?

Only one wax will touch mine when I buy it in 3.5 years. And that is:

Souveran. Best wax on reds. Period.

Tonya
10-18-2007, 09:23 PM
:goodpost:
:iagree: with :whs: They might look at you like you are nuts, but that is exactly what I did! I knew better than to let them touch my car and that was before I found AG ;)

ryandamartini
10-18-2007, 10:34 PM
you have a rather large pm.. Sorry, I wanted to explain everything hehe.. I hope it helps!

-Ryan