PDA

View Full Version : wax/seal all interior surfaces?

Pages : [1] 2

mwoywod
06-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, for the past 5 years I've been cleaning all interior surfaces with meguiar's D101 APC and then using Optimum Car Wax (ocw) applied to a microfiber and wiping down all interior surfaces including leather, vinyl, clear gauges, etc. I have found it helps keep surfaces cleaner longer and all of my customers seem to love the matte even finish and I love knowing that the UV inhibitors in Optimum Car Wax protect the surfaces from sun damage. Plus is smells way better than Meguiars quick interior detailer in my opinion. I use Optimum Car wax or Meguiars D156 on all surfaces on the interior and exterior and sometimes even tires which I use UTTG. I've given away all of my protectants and dressing except for hyper dressing which i dilute 5:1 and use inside the wheel wells and on tires that are old and worn. Are there any potential negative side effects from not using a dedicated interior dressing, protectant, conditioner or are there other detailers out there that prefer using this approach as well? Thanks guys

cleanmycorolla
06-05-2016, 07:50 PM
thats an interesting use for car wax! have you be able to gauge long term problems that may have come about? have you seen these cars down the road again to see if the solvents or anything did damage?

PA DETAILER
06-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Dont know if i would ever use a wax on my interior. I have been using the product below for years. My 2012 interior still looks new.

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle’s interior. In addition to protectants, McKee's 37 Interior Surface (http://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html)

Now if you want to SEAL it they have products for that too.

Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-cockpit-trim-sealant.html)

expdetailing
06-05-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't know of any negative side effects, but I do know a qualified detailer who does use Megs quick spray wax on all interior surfaces, and has for a long time, and recommends it.

GSKR
06-05-2016, 08:26 PM
845 on smooth leather works great,and eraser should of been made for interiors.Eraser removes finger prints and smudges on black interiors leaving behind zero residue and smells pretty nice.

GSKR
06-05-2016, 08:27 PM
I don't know of any negative side effects, but I do know a qualified detailer who does use Megs quick spray wax on all interior surfaces, and has for a long time, and recommends it.Darren priest.

precisionmobile85
06-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Ive never used a exterior wax on any interior. I would bet that sometime down the road it would eventually cause some hazing..esp on black leather or something like bmw black leathorette or a material like that

GSKR
06-05-2016, 08:38 PM
When I had my 13 charger did the front seats with 845 no promblems what's so ever.left them silky feeling and no friction just felt factory new with just the right amount of sheen.Wouldnt recommend using on leather or other parts of interior.just implying that I've used it maybe 6 times along with eraser for smudges and etc.Hate dressings and interior conditioners,like it factory new and natural.

Stu675
06-05-2016, 11:09 PM
I don't know of any negative side effects, but I do know a qualified detailer who does use Megs quick spray wax on all interior surfaces, and has for a long time, and recommends it.

I've been using Xpress wax on interior minus leather for many years. Works great.

mwoywod
06-06-2016, 03:00 AM
you might be right but i never apply it without cleaner the surface with APC first. My truck is 15 years old and before I started using my interior vinyl,plastic, and leather surfaces I would just clean with D101 APC and once I found out that most APC's should be "neutralized" I start by experimenting with non-greasy protectants and megs quick interior detailer and even water but once I stared using optimum car wax I never looked back. D156 x-press wax may work even better considering it is made up of a bunch of different conditioners but optimum car wax contains UV inhibitors and since i've started using it inside my vehicle and my customer the only side effect ive noticed is that its easier to clean

mwoywod
06-06-2016, 03:03 AM
yes, I have and they all still look new but I have only been detailing for 5 years so I can't really say what long term effects might be, but i don't intend on stopping so in another 5 years i'll make sure to update you.haha

mwoywod
06-06-2016, 03:08 AM
Ive never used a exterior wax on any interior. I would bet that sometime down the road it would eventually cause some hazing..esp on black leather or something like bmw black leathorette or a material like that

why do you think it would cause hazing when alot of people use it primarily on their vinyl trim and decals and it dries clear? Also, unless you are working on unrestored classic cars the leather will be coated so its not like it's really absorbing in the porous natural hide....

mwoywod
06-06-2016, 03:12 AM
845 on smooth leather works great,and eraser should of been made for interiors.Eraser removes finger prints and smudges on black interiors leaving behind zero residue and smells pretty nice.

love it, you just one-upped me!

precisionmobile85
06-06-2016, 08:30 AM
why do you think it would cause hazing when alot of people use it primarily on their vinyl trim and decals and it dries clear? Also, unless you are working on unrestored classic cars the leather will be coated so its not like it's really absorbing in the porous natural hide....

I just gave my opinion because ive never tried it or heard anyone doing that. From seeing other posts on this thread i guess people do and it works so i guess il be trying it.

lane5515
06-06-2016, 10:46 AM

Me either. You've got to think there is a reason why interior products are made for the interior and the same for the exterior. I'll let the manufacturers do the testing before going to market and not take the risk of unknown adverse side effects.