PDA

View Full Version : First time detailing my car

duddy89
06-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Hey all,

With the wealth of info on here I've gotten a little tossed around on having a clear idea of what I need to do to keep my car looking mint. I've washed my cars in the past at the quick wash places but have never gotten serious until I got a new car. I have a 2015 dodge charger with blue paint FYI.

My plan of action is
Wash
Blow dry
Clay w/ nanoskin 6" DA pad
M205 first on some spots that have light scratches
M105 if needed
Klasse High Gloss Sealant

My question is, do I actually NEED to wax the car or can I just do a coat of the Klasse instead?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

Setec Astronomy
06-05-2016, 02:56 PM
I don't think you're going to have good results with the KHGSG if you don't clean the paint after the M205. Or you can use the KAIO first. What is it about the Klasse description that attracts all you newbs? Or is it the price?

duddy89
06-05-2016, 03:11 PM
No preference, which would you recommend? So wax is definitely not needed correct, I can just use a paint sealant and be G2G?

dchristo
06-05-2016, 03:26 PM
yes, you can use a paint sealant and be done

kevincwelch
06-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Have you purchased the m205 and m105 yet?

If it's brand new, and the swirls are light, I'd go with HD Speed and you'll be done. Corrected and sealed. You could top that with HD Proxy if needed. If you need something heavier, you could go with HD Adapt.

HD products are pretty en vogue now, but they work really well.

I'm beginning to like them more and more, but I have more experience with Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 (aka, SF3500 now). If you wanted to stick with a product line, you could top with Menzerna Powerlock.

If using HD Speed, you can go straight to the wax. However, if you're using m105/m205 or FG400/SF4000, I'd recommend prepping the paint with IPA or Menzerna Top Inspection, CarPro Eraser, Gtechniq Panel Wipe, etc.

custmsprty
06-05-2016, 03:39 PM
HD Speed and Poxy like Kevin said. This is a great combo.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/91677-2015-bmw-435i-meets-hd-speed-hd-poxy.html

derass
06-06-2016, 12:45 AM
I don't think you're going to have good results with the KHGSG if you don't clean the paint after the M205. Or you can use the KAIO first. What is it about the Klasse description that attracts all you newbs? Or is it the price?

As a newb who just bought the Klasse twins, perhaps I can answer.

I first learned about the Klasse twins here on this site on the page about Waxes vs Sealants. What attracted me are the claims that KSG can provide up to 1 year of protection. As much as I love taking care of my car, I simply don't have the time to be waxing every month or so. I plan on waxing once before the summer and once before the winter, KSG seems to have the durability for this. I considered products such as Meguiar's Ultimate Wax or Collinite 845/476/915 but after doing my research, I just didn't have confidence in their longevity. Furthermore, there are many supporting reviews for KSG by those who have used it for many years citing both its durability and good looks.

Another thing that drew me to the Klasse twins was their perceived synergistic effect. With the Meguiar's and Collinite products, it wasn't clear what product would be best to prep the paint surface for their application. With Klasse,I knew that AIO and HGSG were designed to work together and would provide optimal results.

Don M
06-06-2016, 03:05 AM
Hey all,

With the wealth of info on here I've gotten a little tossed around on having a clear idea of what I need to do to keep my car looking mint. I've washed my cars in the past at the quick wash places but have never gotten serious until I got a new car. I have a 2015 dodge charger with blue paint FYI.

My plan of action is
Wash
Blow dry
Clay w/ nanoskin 6" DA pad
M205 first on some spots that have light scratches
M105 if needed
Klasse High Gloss Sealant

My question is, do I actually NEED to wax the car or can I just do a coat of the Klasse instead?

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

I can save you a step here, if you're going to clay, then there's no need to dry the car first.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2016, 08:01 AM
I can save you a step here, if you're going to clay, then there's no need to dry the car first.

Don's correct but let me add the IMPORTANT details... not the bold parts...

The way you use these wash mitts is you wash and rinse the car first. You want and need to wash, that is push some type of wash mitt over the body panels to loosen any topical dirt.

And here's the IMPORTANT part

Then rinse to remove all the loosened dirt.

Then while the car is still wet come back and run the rubber side of the mitt over all the panels to remove above surface bonded contaminants.

The above is the order to use this method of decontaminating safely.

If you don't wash and rinse first you will trap loosened dirt between the mitt and the paint and risk inducing scratches.

Hope that helps...

Also, the first time you use the mitt you're supposed to break it in by rubbing it against glass.

My twist on this is to first wash and rinse the car and break it in on CLEAN glass.

:)

Mike Phillips
06-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Hey all,

With the wealth of info on here I've gotten a little tossed around on having a clear idea of what I need to do to keep my car looking mint.

Having a powerful forum like this is like a double edged sword. There's LOTS of information but it can lead to information overload.

My recommendation is to avoid turning washing and waxing your car into rocket science and keep it simple. If you keep it simple it will stay fun and then you're likely to do keep up with it.

I have a saying that I've been sharing for years, it goes like this,

"Find something you like and use it often"

What this means is find a wax you like. If you like it that means you like how it applies and you like how it wipes off. I usually means you like how it looks too. If it does these three things for you then you'll likely "like" to use it and then simply use it on a regular basis and your car will always look brand new.

Let me clear up some confusion.

Waxing your car is SEALING the paint. You seal it to

A: Protect it.
B: Make it look good.

When it comes to sealing your paint there are THREE categories of product you can use to SEAL the paint.

1. Car waxes - Usually some type of natural protection ingredient like Carnauba wax.

2. Synthetic paint sealants - The protection ingredients are man-made or synthetic. The opposite of natural protection ingredients.

3. Paint coatings - Usually some form of ceramic, silica or quarts is touted as the primary protection ingredient in paint coatings.

The Klasse Twins are considered to fall into category 2 - Synthetic paint sealants as they use some form of acrylic resin as the protection ingredient.

Clear as mud so far? Here's the part where I clear up the confusion.

You only have to use ONE product from ONE of the three categories. You don't have to use on and then another.

Then what I do is DO A GREAT JOB OF APPLYING the one product.

Does that help?

Here's two article I wrote for you to check out...

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/34185-3-categories-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings.html)

This one I wrote specifically to address HOW TO apply the KLASSE Sealant Glaze I just didn't use the product name in the title as I didn't want to scare anyone.

Anyone about to use Klasse Sealant Glaze for the VERY FIRST TIME should read this first.

A tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37279-tip-working-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings-new-you.html)

:)

Setec Astronomy
06-06-2016, 08:51 AM
As a newb who just bought the Klasse twins, perhaps I can answer.

I first learned about the Klasse twins here on this site on the page about Waxes vs Sealants. What attracted me are the claims that KSG can provide up to 1 year of protection. As much as I love taking care of my car, I simply don't have the time to be waxing every month or so. I plan on waxing once before the summer and once before the winter, KSG seems to have the durability for this. I considered products such as Meguiar's Ultimate Wax or Collinite 845/476/915 but after doing my research, I just didn't have confidence in their longevity. Furthermore, there are many supporting reviews for KSG by those who have used it for many years citing both its durability and good looks.

Another thing that drew me to the Klasse twins was their perceived synergistic effect. With the Meguiar's and Collinite products, it wasn't clear what product would be best to prep the paint surface for their application. With Klasse,I knew that AIO and HGSG were designed to work together and would provide optimal results.

Hey thanks for that insight. Don't get me wrong, I have the Klasse products and I like them, I just haven't really used them in a long time. I came to online detailing forums a dozen years ago and became interested in trying some "boutique" products (not available in auto parts stores and the like). At that time there were really only 3 camps (at least that's the way I remember it); the "wax" camp, the Klasse camp, and the Zaino camp (and the "Perfect Shine" camp, where you used Klasse and topped it with wax).

There were other sealants, but they were just a little behind in the durability department (which changed not too long after). I wanted something different than "wax", Zaino seemed like a cult, so I too, became a Klasse convert. There were many, many threads about how to use the Klasse products, because that was one of the "big three".

It's just that today there are so many good products, and Klasse doesn't get talked about very much, but I notice a lot of new members still choose it to start with, even though the user-friendliness of it is a step behind a lot of the newer products. Thanks for helping me understand why.

duddy89
06-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Mike, thanks for your detailed response. Nice to hear a definitive answer!

derass
06-08-2016, 06:33 PM
It's just that today there are so many good products, and Klasse doesn't get talked about very much, but I notice a lot of new members still choose it to start with, even though the user-friendliness of it is a step behind a lot of the newer products.

You're now the second AGO member to mention something like this. What are some modern products that offer the same durability as KSG but are more user-friendly?

Setec Astronomy
06-08-2016, 07:23 PM
You're now the second AGO member to mention something like this. What are some modern products that offer the same durability as KSG but are more user-friendly?

Well, I have to qualify that a little. KAIO is a fantastic multi-use product, and SG is very good once you get the hang of it.

So you can look at this a couple of different ways. Is the durability the most important thing? Or does ease of application trump that because even if it doesn't last as long it could be applied more often? That may not be an option in places where there is winter and you might have 6 months where you might not even be able to wash the car.

You could look at pastes like Collinite 476S or Finish Kare 1000P. There are a number of spray waxes and sealants that have quite reasonable durability and can be applied even after every wash. There are WOWA sealants like Opti-Seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, and Wolfgang Liquid Seal, which have good durability and are very easy to apply.

And of course the traditional sealants like Blackfire, Wolfgang, Power Lock. Or you could go to an easy-to-use coating like McKee's 37 or Optimum Gloss-Coat, although I would recommend some WOWA experience before that.

shagnat
06-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Wow! What an article..... I'm subscribing to this puppy :)

Thanks, OP.