PDA

View Full Version : Dilution ratios - ??

Pages : [1] 2

Don M
06-05-2016, 03:16 AM
The directions for dilution on AG's page are a bit confusing to me. For a rinseless, how much is "a couple ounces," per 5 gallons of water and for the Waterless Wash, is is 1 part water to 4 parts Express Wash, or 4 parts water to 1 part Express Wash. I know a silly question, but for those of us who get confused easily a necessary one ;)

How it works
Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax is incredibly easy to use. Simply add a couple ounces to a 5 gallon wash bucket, soak a wash mitt or microfiber towel, and wash the vehicle one section at a time. After you wash a section, dry it using a Cobra Waffle Weave Guzzler or a Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel. To use as a waterless, dilute 1:4 with water and spray a liberal amount directly onto the surface and wipe clean with a Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel. Continue this method section by section until the entire vehicle is clean.

JeffM
06-05-2016, 07:39 AM
I would use 1/2 oz per gallon , but ive never used it.

Also its 1 part product 4 parts water to equal 5 parts.

Marc08EX
06-05-2016, 08:31 AM
IMO, Meguiar's D115 should be used as a waterless wash and not a rinseless wash. If you want to do a rinseless wash, I'd highly suggest you use Meguiar's D114 for that.

I would say they mean add 2.5oz per 5 gallons of water for a rinseless wash. Typical rinseless wash dilution ratios are 1oz for 2 gallons of water. So by doing ratio and proportion, 5 gallons of water will require 2.5oz.

For the 1:4 waterless wash dilution, that means 1 part product (D115 in this case) to 4 parts water. So if you have 16oz of water, then you need to add 4oz of product. If you have 32oz of water, then you need to add 8oz of product. What's great about Meguiar's D115 is you can use it all the way up to 1:20. That means, 1 part product (D115) to 20 parts water, which is very economical. You really don't have to be extremely accurate with this. Just do a ball park with the mixtures and you should be good.

Here are some examples of different dilutions taken from my review:

So this is my mixtures for each dilution ratio:
2oz of D115 with 8oz of mineral water for the 4:1 ratio.
1oz of D115 with 8oz of mineral water for the 8:1 ratio.
0.5oz of D115 with 10oz of mineral water for the 20:1 ratio.

If you want to read up my review on Meguiar's D115, click the link below. It's very informative.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/68323-review-how-meguiars-d115-rinsefree-express-wash-wax.html

I myself use a dilution ratio between 1:10 to 1:12.

Hope this helps.

pheerix
06-05-2016, 09:44 AM
IMO, Meguiar's D115 should be used as a waterless wash and not a rinseless wash.

Heating popcorn in the microwave and finding myself a comfy seat.

pheerix
06-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Don if you want a great product that does Rinseless and waterless exceptionally well, try Wolfgang Uber. Much more economical waterless wash dilution at 1:48.

Eldorado2k
06-05-2016, 10:34 AM

*nods* lol.

fly07sti
06-05-2016, 10:38 AM
I have actually used it as a rinseless and it has performed just fine. I use 2oz of d115 to 4 gallons of water.
But I agree with Marc that it excels as a waterless. The dilution ratios are not the highest of them all but, I've at 1:20 with very good results. It also is the #1 performer in direct, warm sun that I've used. It really comes down to what your looking for.
High dilution? Super Slick? Strong cleaning ability?

fly07sti
06-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Also, if you're apprehensive about buying a gallon just to try it out, hit me up and I'll send you 16oz on my dime. From one Don to another ����

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Don, Marc hit the nail on the head on the proper use of these products.

I too use D114 as a Rinseless wash and follow with D156. Alternatively I also use D115 as a Waterless wash.

Follow up with Don, (Fly07sti) on his offer. Don is a great guy and I have exchanged with him before.

Marc08EX
06-05-2016, 01:53 PM

*nods* lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason why I said that is because Michael Stoops is using the 4:1 dilution ratio for rinseless washing and I quote:

Our recommendation for use is to dilute 4:1 and use as a waterless wash, but it's also great to pour 4 gallons of water into a bucket, then essentially pour the entire gallon of D115 into that same bucket for 5 gallons of rinseless wash solution. Now, for the average guy taking care of a couple cars at home that may not be the best way to go, but for a mobile guy who doesn't want to carry around large volumes of water it's great. You can clean an awful lot of cars with 5 gallons of rinseless wash, as long as you're not putting a dirty towel back into the bucket.

Source: Mid-Year Introduction - D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?59440-Mid-Year-Introduction-D115-Rinse-Free-Express-Wash-amp-Wax&p=532708&viewfull=1#post532708)

Our recommendation for use is a 4:1 dilution ratio. We did this so that volume users could easily pour the gallon jug of D115 into a 5 gallon container with 4 gallons of water and be good to go. We've heard more and more feedback from early testers that D115 works equally well as a waterless wash when diluted 8:1 and used in a hand pump low pressure sprayer like those shown below:

As a rinseless wash, the same 8:1 to 4:1 range is going to be recommended. This is to ensure getting the maximum out of the product - by which we mean not just maximum safe cleaning but also maximum gloss and protection. We generally don't think of a wash & wax product as being a true wax application but more just a bit of a wax boost. With D115 the protection left behind is noticeable and surprisingly durable. It's a synthetic polymer blend, and as such we actually do not recommend that you wash with this product if you intend to follow the wash with any sort of paint correction. The polymers in D115 are slick enough, and durable enough, to impede machine polishing. Just as you would not want to apply D156/UQW just before paint correction, neither do you want to apply D115. We've even seen an impediment to damp sanding following a fresh application of a durable polymer such as is found in the above mentioned products. Our competitors aren't making those sort of claims for the level of protection and gloss afforded by their similar rinseless/waterless products.

Source: Mid-Year Introduction - D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?59440-Mid-Year-Introduction-D115-Rinse-Free-Express-Wash-amp-Wax&p=532860&viewfull=1#post532860)

I would tend to follow Meguiar's recommendation more as opposed to what's posted on the AG product description page for a product that is made by Meguiar's. At the 4:1 rinseless dilution (even at 8:1), D115 is just plain expensive compared to any other rinseless washer out there that dilute 1oz to 2gallons of water. Hence my suggestion to use D114 as a rinseless wash because the recommended dilution for that is 1oz to 2gallons of water. If we have Meguiar's blessing to use D115 with a 1oz to 2 gallons of water dilution ratio for rinseless then I don't have a problem using this as a rinseless.

pheerix
06-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Haha I was referring to an old thread both me and Eldorado got involved with discussing D115 as a Rinseless.

fly07sti
06-05-2016, 06:07 PM
We can all recommend different dilutions and products, but ultimately everyone needs to just try things out and see what works for them.

Don M
06-17-2016, 12:33 AM
Also, if you're apprehensive about buying a gallon just to try it out, hit me up and I'll send you 16oz on my dime. From one Don to another ����

THANKS FOR THE OFFER! =But I just ordered a gallon of D115 yesterday and it should be here Monday (with the measuring top).

Don, Marc hit the nail on the head on the proper use of these products.

I too use D114 as a Rinseless wash and follow with D156. Alternatively I also use D115 as a Waterless wash.

Follow up with Don, (Fly07sti) on his offer. Don is a great guy and I have exchanged with him before.

For using D115 as a waterless, what dilution do you use? 1 ounce D115 to ? ounces of water?

pheerix
06-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Instructions say 1:4 but I've used up to 1:10 with good results.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-18-2016, 01:41 AM
For using D115 as a waterless, what dilution do you use? 1 ounce D115 to ? ounces of water?

I use it at the 1:4 ratio and mix it up a gallon at a time. 1 part product - 4 parts water.