PDA

View Full Version : Can I use solution finish after mothers heavy duty trim cleaner.

Whitewater25
06-04-2016, 04:14 PM
I used mothers heavy duty back to black trim cleaner on a weathered bumper,it came out very nice but I don't know how long it will stay that way. I have Solution Finish & would like to top it with that. Would I need to wipe down with IPA or something else first? It doesn't have any sort of oily feel to it but I would hate to compromise the topping by not prepping properly.

ski2
06-04-2016, 04:18 PM
I believe the Mothers is just a cleaner so you really should top it with a protectant.

Setec Astronomy
06-04-2016, 04:36 PM
If it were me, I'd wash it down thoroughly, then do your IPA wipe before the solution finish. IME the Mothers product leaves that "very nice" look because they tell you to just wipe it dry, and it leaves a bunch of surfactant residue on there that will wash off later. So wash it off now and IPA prep and Solution Finish and you should be good.

swanicyouth
06-04-2016, 05:11 PM
IMHO - no. There is a ton of organic solvent like ingredients in SF - at least that is what it smells like. It's not a coating.

I usually do a quick wipe down with Eraser, but I don't think it's necessary if the surface has been cleaned well with an APC like product.

SF isn't too finicky... It's a dye not a coating.

Setec Astronomy
06-04-2016, 05:28 PM
I thought I did some sort of brief writeup on the Mothers product before: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/75512-review-new-2014-mothers-back-black-heavy-duty-trim-cleaner-8.html#post1089134