PDA

View Full Version : Gonna use Duragloss 501 for the first time. Any tips?

Mike Honcho
06-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Wifey's outside 24/7 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer (in burgundy) is gonna be my test monkey for Duragloss 501. (don't tell her.) I've never used any of the Duragloss products before and I"m excited about giving them a go. Any tips would greatly be appreciated! Gonna place an order shortly here at AG for the DG products I'll need based on y'alls recommendations. Here's what I'll be using:

PC DA polisher
Lake Country Hydro Tech pads
Nanoskin mitt
Hyperwash
Goose Island Honkers Ale (quantity needed unknown but I have plenty)

How long do I work the 501? Section passes typically needed?

Jowillie
06-04-2016, 01:03 PM
I would make sure to also order the #601 Polish Bonding Agent.
I'm getting ready to "go to the bone" on my wife's black Volvo and start from scratch. Here's what Brother Jerry at Durogloss recommended:

Wash
Use the claybar,
then Squeaky Clean and alcohol wipe.
This will pre-prep the surface.
Apply 601/105

If paint is in reasonably good condition, others have gotten great results with using 501/601 and following up with a second coat of 105/601.
The 501 is an excellent Cleaner/Sealant, and the second coat of 105/601 (more sealant) makes for a long lasting, good looking treatment.
Let us know how it goes.

P.S. After getting a good finish on my black beauty, I topped it with 601/111 (Clear Coat Sealant) and it absolutely glimmers.
P.P.S. Remember to apply all in thin coats. Very little goes a long way.

Nick McKees37
06-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Wifey's outside 24/7 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer (in burgundy) is gonna be my test monkey for Duragloss 501. (don't tell her.) I've never used any of the Duragloss products before and I"m excited about giving them a go. Any tips would greatly be appreciated! Gonna place an order shortly here at AG for the DG products I'll need based on y'alls recommendations. Here's what I'll be using:

PC DA polisher
Lake Country Hydro Tech pads
Nanoskin mitt
Hyperwash
Goose Island Honkers Ale (quantity needed unknown but I have plenty)

How long do I work the 501? Section passes typically needed?

Great choice! 501 is a top notch cleaner wax/sealant.

PC DA polisher - Speed 6 (4-5 passes)
Lake Country Hydro Tech pads - Tangerine
Nanoskin mitt
Hyperwash
Goose Island Honkers Ale (quantity needed unknown but I have plenty) - Keep drinking until you can't count your section passes

Tips:

Use the product "heavy" or "wet" - Do not get caught up in the "Apply 2 pea-sized drops to the pad." This is a CLEANER wax after all.
Do not let it dry

How To: Maximize Time with a Cleaner Wax/AIO (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50085-how-maximize-time-cleaner-wax-aio.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Duragloss%20Test%20Spot/DSCN2395.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Duragloss%20Test%20Spot/test-spot-redone.jpg

:dblthumb2:

Mike Honcho
06-04-2016, 01:26 PM
I would make sure to also order the #601 Polish Bonding Agent.
I'm getting ready to "go to the bone" on my wife's black Volvo and start from scratch. Here's what Brother Jerry at Durogloss recommended:

Wash
Use the claybar,
then Squeaky Clean and alcohol wipe.
This will pre-prep the surface.
Apply 601/105

If paint is in reasonably good condition, others have gotten great results with using 501/601 and following up with a second coat of 105/601.
The 501 is an excellent Cleaner/Sealant, and the second coat of 105/601 (more sealant) makes for a long lasting, good looking treatment.
Let us know how it goes.

P.S. After getting a good finish on my black beauty, I topped it with 601/111 (Clear Coat Sealant) and it absolutely glimmers.
P.P.S. Remember to apply all in thin coats. Very little goes a long way.

Great tips! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Mike Honcho
06-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Keep drinking until you can't count your section passes

That's the best tip I've ever gotten at the Geek!!!

1EdgeKilla
06-04-2016, 02:30 PM
"Keep drinking until you can't count your section passes..."

^haha, comment was gold🏆

Mike Honcho
06-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Do not let it dry

Nick, just to clarify, do you mean buff it off while still wet or don't let it dry out while doing the section passes?

postaddict
06-06-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm a big fan of the DG combo and use it lots. 2 suggestions.. save time by combining the 105 and 601 at 4:1 either in a squeeze bottle or what i do is directly on the pad. What I do is put 4 pea size drops of 105 and 1 drop of 601 onto the pad. The DA will mix the product directly on the vehicle. Another tip is after curing for 24 hrs top the DG with Collonite 845. Looks amazing and every now and then use Aquawax.

Mike Honcho
06-06-2016, 09:39 AM
845 seems to be gettin' some love when applied over DG products!!!