PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Guzzler HD streaking....

t2586
06-03-2016, 10:42 PM
I bought 3 Cobra Guzzler HD drying towels a few weeks ago. I have used them a handful of times and no matter what I do...they streak terrible. I searched around and found a few people saying to wash them first...No luck. I washed them with ALL Free and Clear detergent and hung them in the spare closet to dry.

I did find a couple old threads with folks having the same problem. By the time I dry off the windows and get to the paint they are a little wet, but not enough to wring out and they start streaking.

I just spent $40 on these towels and I am pretty damn disappointed. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Eldorado2k
06-03-2016, 11:16 PM
Use them dry. If you use a damp/wet waffle weave to try and dry your paint you'll experience the exact thing you're describing, streaks. This is why I Always start with a fresh, clean, and dry waffle weave for drying the paint.

IMO starting off by drying the windows is a complete waste of a perfectly ripe towel, not to mention the windows are an area of the vehicle which tend to be a magnet for nasty black gunk to soil your perfectly clean drying towel [because of the rubber trim surrounding the windows]. Instead of risking my clean towel on the glass, I hit all the glass with a squeegie immediately after the final sheet rinse. The squeegie leaves the windows about 85% clean and minimizes the amount of time I need to spend on them later with glass cleaner.

But back to the towels, use them dry. They're microfiber waffle weaves. They aren't going to scratch your paint, nothing to worry about. I've read some people recommend using a damp waffle weave, followed by a dry waffle weave to eliminate those final streaks... But what sense does that make? Why not skip the whole damp step if you're going to end up going over it with a Dry waffle weave anyways? I dunno..

PA DETAILER
06-04-2016, 05:30 AM
Really? Been using WW for years and never experienced this. Currently using sonus WW. The all free & clear is fine. It's what i use. Hard water? In any case if your not happy send them back and swap them for the griots PFM towel. See if you have better luck with that. Strange.

Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-pfm-drying-towel.html)

TTQ B4U
06-04-2016, 06:51 AM
I bought 3 Cobra Guzzler HD drying towels a few weeks ago. I have used them a handful of times and no matter what I do...they streak terrible. I searched around and found a few people saying to wash them first...No luck. I washed them with ALL Free and Clear detergent and hung them in the spare closet to dry.

I did find a couple old threads with folks having the same problem. By the time I dry off the windows and get to the paint they are a little wet, but not enough to wring out and they start streaking.

I just spent $40 on these towels and I am pretty damn disappointed. Any suggestions?

My guess is it's not the towels but rather something on the car or in the wash that's causing it. Perhaps a reaction to the sealant/LSP you have with the product used in the wash.

Wish I had a full answer but that's my hunch.

Eldorado2k
06-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Saturated waffle weaves leave paint streak free and bone dry? I've never had such luck... This is the reason I find it's better to keep an extra waffle weave on deck, instead of struggling and being stubborn trying to finish drying a large vehicle with just 1 drying towel. Once I switch to a new dry waffle weave everything's so much easier, and dryer too, with zero streaks.

JeffM
06-04-2016, 07:52 AM
Another reason to use ONR, it softens hard water and wont leave hard water spots. Actually a really wet towel with ONR will wipe off ONR spots easily.

cyclops
06-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Might be something in the towels, to much detergent or something picked up from the car. Try washing the towels again, wash alone to avoid cross contamination and don't forget 2 rinses.
What are you using to wash the car? Just doing one panel at a time and extra rinsing may help.
Last try a drying aid, helps to eliminate both streaking and spotting.

t2586
06-04-2016, 10:28 AM
I am using Meguiars Gold Class to wash the car.

Also, I have tried using Griots spray wax as a drying aid, but it almost seemed to make the problem worse.

I have been using a little bit of white distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle too.

Setec Astronomy
06-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Once you towel reaches a certain saturation level, it's going to leave a little bit of water behind, what I believe you are referring to as "streaking". There's really no antidote to that other than using a second, dryer towel to followup. When I start drying the car, I try to keep the towel folded, then I can use one side to pick up the gross water, then flip it over to remove any "streaking". But when the first towel gets saturated enough, I have to use a second towel for the second pass.

I think this is mostly a technique/expectation issue rather than the more complicated scenarios some of the other members seem to be envisioning.

PA DETAILER
06-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Good info. You may be dealing with saturation. Follow up with a second dry towel and observe the results.

Octopiston
06-04-2016, 09:51 PM
I'll use a towel for the main drying and wring it out when it gets saturated. I follow with a dryer towel to catch whats left. Once #2 gets to a certain saturation point I'll grab another.