PDA

View Full Version : Greasy fingerprints that can't be washed

RangerDetails
06-03-2016, 07:03 AM
A friend of mine called saying she has some sort of greasy fingerprints on her hood. She sais she tried everything(probably just a wash and trying to rub it off) but it wont go away. She blames her mechanic.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm thinking using a clay bar to remove it and if it fail maybe a one step polish.

What do you guys think?
I'm sure someone here ran into that situation.

idriveblackcars
06-03-2016, 07:12 AM
Least aggressive would just be to clean the surface and use a QD. If that doesn't work then clay the area. If that doesn't take it out it's something more than a greasy finger print and try a light finishing polish. I doubt you would need to go much furthur than that.

RangerDetails
06-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Least aggressive would just be to clean the surface and use a QD. If that doesn't work then clay the area. If that doesn't take it out it's something more than a greasy finger print and try a light finishing polish. I doubt you would need to go much furthur than that.

Yeah I was thinking a finishing polish with like a white pad.

idriveblackcars
06-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Yeah I was thinking a finishing polish with like a white pad.

Hopefully she didn't make a mess of the area trying to wipe it off while the surface was dirty.

RangerDetails
06-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Hopefully she didn't make a mess of the area trying to wipe it off while the surface was dirty.

Yeah I'm almost scared to see it.

shagnat
06-20-2016, 09:45 AM
A friend of mine called saying she has some sort of greasy fingerprints on her hood. She sais she tried everything(probably just a wash and trying to rub it off) but it wont go away. She blames her mechanic.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm thinking using a clay bar to remove it and if it fail maybe a one step polish.

What do you guys think?
I'm sure someone here ran into that situation.
Try a "waterless hand cleaner"..... seriously.... I've taken lots of "stuff" off my car by using waterless handcleaner..... the kind w/out pumice. It's ~$2/can and works wonders.

expdetailing
06-20-2016, 10:23 AM
This doesn't sound like it applies here, but sunscreen lotion has nano particles in it and can seep into the clear coat. Maybe the prints were there before the mechanic touched the car?

oldmodman
06-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Keep your fingers crossed that the mechanic didn't have brake fluid on his fingers.

If he did then those fingerprints might be permanent. As in they ate into the paint.

Desertnate
06-21-2016, 02:53 PM
This might be a dumb question, but has a product like Stoner's Tarminator been tried yet? If it is a heavy grease or oil, some of the more "normal" cleaners might not cut it and a tar/grease remover just might.

Rsurfer
06-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Not being belligerent, but not knowing what it is on her hood, we can be here all day naming what might and what might not work.

It will interesting to see what it was and what removed it.

Desertnate
06-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Not being belligerent, but not knowing what it is on her hood, we can be here all day naming what might and what might not work.

It wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't second guess the situation to death!

dcjredline
06-21-2016, 03:37 PM
I'd also try an APC or degreaser BEFORE freaking polishing it or claying it geesh yer skipping quite a few steps going from QD to polish/clay.