PDA

View Full Version : Need to fix the finish on my Lexus myself, Ready to purchase PC or GG and what pads?

Pages : [1] 2 3

KDR83
06-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Bought a Lexus LS430 and the car is covered in light scratches, looks like most of them are from light key marks or the previous owner pulling alongside brush. The fast majority of the scratches don't catch on my finger nail so I would think they will come out.

I have given up on my local detailer getting the car to the level I want it so decided I want to do the work myself to get the finish acceptable. I had a local detailer come by and he went over the car with M105 and M205 but he used a finishing pad and the buffer he was using was this tiny looking thing that looks like the one you can buy at walmart that you hold with one hand...so needless to say it did not remove any scratches or marks I was hoping to have removed. He said he will come back with 5000 grit sandpaper pads when he gets them but I don't feel that will do anything, I feel M105 probably has more cutting power than 5000 grit so I just want to try to clean up the car myself. The worst part of the cars finish is it has water marks that are etched into the clearcoat. Here is a close up picture...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/polishdude1/IMG_3185_zpsujlsa8b0.jpg

They cover the trunk and roof of the car. So what products should I purchase along with a DA to get my car looking nice again. I am not looking for show car quality but want to get rid of all the fine scratches on the car.

I was thinking a PC 7424 XP or a GG 6 along with a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads....3 orange and 3 white along with some M105, M205 and some sort of wax. Is that a good starting point? I will be honest, I am not a guy that washes his car every weekend or makes sure it has zero swirl marks but the finish isn't acceptable right now and its a nice car. I want it to look nice.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/polishdude1/Cadillac%20CTS-V/IMG_20160520_183312_zpshwz3x96y.jpg

GSKR
06-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Fg400 compound with microfiber cutting pads,then polish it with HD speed to bring out the vibrance of the paint.Then use a sealant like powerlock done.when using speed get 4 whites and 4 orange thin foam pads.The watermarks may not come out with chemical cleaning such as iron x or that vinegar method.sanding maybe required or rotary cutting which I don't advise on a old car paint have fun.

custmsprty
06-02-2016, 04:20 PM
What he said, FG400 / HD Speed

Skip the Megs. It'll dust you crazy LOL.

dlc95
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Have you considered the Meguuar's Microfiber d/a correction system?

It's specifically designed to do what you're looking to remedy.

You could also use Meguiar's M100/M205/your choice of wax on Lake Country Hydrotech foam pads.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
06-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Thats a nice ride, i like the wheels.

I advise you to invest in the polishers you stated above.

That way you can machine wax and maintain your car without having to pay some inexperienced wash+wax detailer.

I would get the griots garage 6 inch kit. Has more power, lifetime warranty, and also is more comfortable at higher speeds.

I would pair that machine with the boss pads and you will be in business for a showcar shine.

Or you can post a thread that your looking for a good detailer in your area.

105 is not user friendly especially for newbies, weather affects 105 like no other, it can dry out without abrading the paint, and making it almost impossible to wipe off. Giving the newbie polisher very frustrated, the key to polishing is comfort.

I would recommend Griots Garage Fast Correcting Cream, it has a infinite working time, no dusting, easy wipe off, and it cuts as long as you work it, meaning the abrasive doesnt diminish to nothing, making it very easy for newbies to get excellent results.

(Also finishes better then Menzerna 400 on a microfiber cutting pad)

I also recommend to order some microfiber cutting pads to make the cutting process faster.

Or the Mckees Fast Cut same characteristics. In fact there is a pc and a griots kit i believe that offers the Mckees line of polishes.

Its a great idea to invest in a machine, that way you can wax faster. As well as maintain your car if you get a scuff, scratch water marks etc.

asalesagent912
06-02-2016, 06:57 PM
I strongly agree with the above. 105 is not beginner friendly. if the temps are warm it will be like cement to get off.
you cant go wrong with fg400

briarpatch
06-02-2016, 07:00 PM
U can not miss with the GG6

JeffM
06-02-2016, 07:03 PM
I really like my GG6, I really like the D300 and MF pad too.

KDR83
06-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Okay so skipping the on the M105 and M205

So I think I will get the GG 6

Also looks like I should get some microfiber pads for cutting, recommendation on which ones? What sort of pads should I get for following up?

now as far as products I see the suggestion of FG400/HD Speed and GG Fast Correction Cream (paired with what?

Also I just read about the Meguiars Correction system, I see it has very good reviews and most of the reviews are from people that have black cars which obviously is what I have....would you guys suggest the meguiars kit over buying my own backing plate, pads, and products? May be more cost effective with what I am looking for or should I do the FG400/HD Speed or GG Fast Correction Cream and buy pads and backing plate individually? I am a complete newb to this, I think I have maybe waxed my car 3 times in my life

custmsprty
06-02-2016, 09:47 PM
All you need is 5.5" Buff and Shine 3 orange pads, three white pads Menzerna FG400 and Hd Speed. That's it,you'll be good to go and those are great products to learn with.

KDR83
06-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Fg400 compound with microfiber cutting pads,then polish it with HD speed to bring out the vibrance of the paint.Then use a sealant like powerlock done.when using speed get 4 whites and 4 orange thin foam pads.The watermarks may not come out with chemical cleaning such as iron x or that vinegar method.sanding maybe required or rotary cutting which I don't advise on a old car paint have fun.

You think none of these products/pads will eliminate the water spots? I honestly want to try this first because if none of this works I will repaint the trunk and roof as they are that bad....these aren't water marks that just look bad from certain angles, it looks like the sprinklers went off on the car and I let them dry and never tried to wipe them off.

KDR83
06-02-2016, 09:56 PM
and a 5 inch backing plate? Any recommendation on that?

Huot25
06-02-2016, 09:59 PM
I just did my car with the gg6, LC thin pro pads and m105/M205 and it came out awesome. I'm probably going to try the griots garage boss polishes next time around, but I was happy with the results. I actually felt like I got better cut with the thin pro orange pad vs the megs fast cut microfiber pad.

This is my first experience with a DA and polishes but it was really happy with the outcome.

custmsprty
06-02-2016, 10:04 PM
and a 5 inch backing plate? Any recommendation on that?

Yes 5" BP

Check this post out:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/98953-2014-nissan-370-z-griots-g21-hd-adapt-7-hd-poxy.html

GSKR
06-02-2016, 10:15 PM
You think none of these products/pads will eliminate the water spots? I honestly want to try this first because if none of this works I will repaint the trunk and roof as they are that bad....these aren't water marks that just look bad from certain angles, it looks like the sprinklers went off on the car and I let them dry and never tried to wipe them off.Take a terry cloth with some store bought compound and try to rub out a section,if you are getting a improvement amplify that by 10 times with a machine and products.Hard to say if it will over the net.what you can do is buy meguairs hotrims it has some acidic properties in it .spray a section on the trunk and see if the spots are gone after rinsing.Im gonna catch a lot of slack with this method but trying to help you.Try the hand rub first and see what happens rub it really hard and wet with product,use a terry cloth because it has some bite mixed in with the compound or cleaner wax.