PDA

View Full Version : What is a detail?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Driven Auto Detail
10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
There is more than one way to detail a car. Like others have said, you can only do what you're customers are willing to pay for. When you detail to pay for your mortgage, you have to make good business and financial decisions. I can't spend 2 days on one car for $350. It wouldn't make any financial sense. I'd be out of business in no time. Would I like to have a vehicle that I could spend 2 days detailg? Sure, but only if I'm being compesated for it. While we each may want to spend 2 days detailing a vehicle, it just doesn't make sense unless the customer is going to compensate you fairly for your time and efforts. I try to use the best products that my business can afford and do the best job that I can do for the money I'm being paid.

Bunky
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I have no basic problem with distributors rebottling other manufacturers products. I do not need 1 Gal sizes of products even though smaller quantities are not as cost effective but I am not a detailer by profession so volume pricing is not important. The distributors and online places like AG's success is based upon customer service first. They do not claim to be the lowest cost provider. I hear the support at C G very hit or miss. If I can get same day feedback, a nice web site for user feedback, flexible pricing, quick delivery, etc, I am willing to pay "extra" for it. I see a lot of discretionary income being spent on detailing products so it is value add that counts for many.

Driven Auto Detail
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I hear the support at C G very hit or miss.

I've experienced their CS. Dropping f-bombs left and right during a general phone coversation with customers isn't professional and that is why I won't buy from them again. Plus, out of three emails to them regarding MSDS sheets, I never heard back from them once.

ASPHALT ROCKET
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I do not take two days to detail a vehicle. So I guess most of the businesses on hear should be called some kind of wash and wax/sealant and not use the word detail in their name. It is called detail for a reason. If you are not getting swirls out of the paint all I can say is once again someone is not getting what they pay for, just like something else.

ehuth1
10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I do not take two days to detail a vehicle. So I guess most of the businesses on hear should be called some kind of wash and wax/sealant and not use the word detail in their name. It is called detail for a reason. If you are not getting swirls out of the paint all I can say is once again someone is not getting what they pay for, just like something else.

I guess I should change my name then A2D Mobile Wash-n-Wax.....:rolleyes:

Look I'm not here to bash anyone elses work ethic or view on what needs to be involved in "Detailing" a car. I'll put myself on the line and call myself a "Detailer", but I will straight tell a customer this my part-time profession and I'm no "Master Detailer." Asphalt I take it your a Master ??

But to prove fact -

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Auto detailing is the practice of performing an extremely thorough cleaning, polishing and waxing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail. It can be practiced for personal satisfaction, and it is also performed to prepare a car for a Concours d'Elegance (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Concours_d%27Elegance) (often shortened to just Concours), a car show that features the appearance of cars. Elements of exterior detailing include claying, polishing, and waxing. Interior detailing involves the cleaning of the interior of a vehicle using vacuums, liquid cleaners, and brushes. Engine detailing involves cleaning the engine bay area of dirt and grease by using degreasers and all-purpose cleaners

I don't see swirl removal... but I guess that comes with the package :)

Meghan
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Ok we are getting off topic, if you want to start a thread on your opinion of detailing please do so. I think it is a great idea, everyone details different and we all have something to learn from each other!

ASPHALT ROCKET
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Then you should, I believe proper POLISHING would remove the swirls when done correctly, so there is your swirl removal part of the process.

ehuth1
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
:p

D
10-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Please tell me you did not just look up detailing in WIKIPEIDIA. ####, it doesnt say removing swirls, guess I dont have to do it. God I hope that was a joke.

ehuth1
10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Please tell me you did not just look up detailing in WIKIPEIDIA. ####, it doesnt say removing swirls, guess I dont have to do it. God I hope that was a joke.
:iagree: :D If you look it up, it will clarify polishing and claying and waxing.... It does consist of removing swirls, but I just wanted to throw come coals in the fire...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Kind of sad that the most active thread on AG for the past 48hrs has been one where the member are bickering!!

Meghan
10-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Kind of sad that the most active thread on AG for the past 48hrs has been one where the member are bickering!!

:iagree:
I guess they missed the part about starting a new thread.

ehuth1
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.geocities.com/torisstarburst/beatdeadhorse.gif

THENIZZZEIL
10-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi DAN hehehe

ASPHALT ROCKET
10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
no bickering, just trying to clarify a detail versus just a wash and wax/sealant. If you say you detailing do it correctly or go
work at a car wash because all you are than is a mobile car
wash. So did you change your business name yet-here are are some coals for you.