PDA

View Full Version : Work with a purpose

smf
06-02-2016, 07:00 AM
I'm not a frequent poster but I wanted to share some advice to those that may be just starting out.

its very easy to get "addicted to the shine." I'm in my third year of business and I can count on one hand customers that have asked for swirl removal/paint correction. The reality is most people just want a clean, shiny car. How you go about this is crucial. I believe Mike Phillips had a thread called working with a purpose that explains it better than I can. There are so many quality all in one products that will do a great job and save you time and money. Don't overthink it.

Its great to do a three step process, but is the customer paying you enough to do so?

In the last two days I did a Porsche and a Maserat using all in one products. Both customers were thrilled, and they've already scheduled me to do other vehicles.

Good luck to you.

RonAlv
06-02-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm not a frequent poster but I wanted to share some advice to those that may be just starting out.

its very easy to get "addicted to the shine." I'm in my third year of business and I can count on one hand customers that have asked for swirl removal/paint correction. The reality is most people just want a clean, shiny car. How you go about this is crucial. I believe Mike Phillips had a thread called working with a purpose that explains it better than I can. There are so many quality all in one products that will do a great job and save you time and money. Don't overthink it.

Its great to do a three step process, but is the customer paying you enough to do so?

In the last two days I did a Porsche and a Maserat using all in one products. Both customers were thrilled, and they've already scheduled me to do other vehicles.

Good luck to you.

Good Advise. For the past couple of days, I have been looking at detailers web sites, stopped in shops to get prices. My thing is that after looking at the services, a customer can become confused and make their head spin, as it did mine. I am in the process of doing detailing on the side for now since I have a decent full time job, but want to maken some extra coin strictly by word of mouth or social media. My current obsticle is coming up with some simple packages to start off with, and pricing. Going rate in my area is about 100 bucks for basic interior and exterior service. I would like to create a service thats not going to make a customer's head hurt.

garyg7133
06-03-2016, 08:48 AM
I agree with all of the above. Don't get me wrong, if a customer specifically asks about a swirl, scratch or stain, I don't go nuts trying to add it to their service. I have pretty much stopped trying to explain the products that I use unless there is a change in product from the last time that I worked on their vehicle. Usually they don't want to hear it or just don't care as long as their car is shiny and protected. Unless you are dealing with a high end vehicle, most customers don't care what you're using. Kind of a shame because as was mentioned to me in another thread, you end up undervaluing your work ( and supplies ).