PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing on an old car (1972 Sel 300 Benz)

aeghbal
06-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Hello,
I am going to be degreasing and cleaning the engine bay of a 1972 Sel 300 Mercedes. Here is a picture of it I found on the internet https://notoriousluxury.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/e2.jpg . Does anyone have any advice what I should cover and how I should go about this? What are the risks? The customer mentioned that these older cars you need to be careful with the carburetor and other senstivie parts. I got me some shrink wrap. From the picture of the engine, what do you guys think. I have to do this in 2 days so quick help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amir

Sizzle Chest
06-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Well it looks like it's fuel injected, so no carbs to worry about. I would cover the alternator and any electrical connections or modules you see. Use light water pressure, or a rinse less if you can. Let us know how it turns out!

asap2stacks
06-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Steps to cleaning vehicles engine.

1. Do a pre wash to remove any lose grease and dirt.

2. Spay a degreaser or a engine bay cleaner on the engine don't miss any thing! Let it sit for about 5 mins.

3. Now take a few different brushes and scrub away also go over everything two times at least to ensure you haven't missed anything.

4. Rinse the engine bay off removing all dirt and grease.

5. Take your commercial steam cleaner and go over the whole engine bay with a microfiber towel in the other hand removing any missed grease or dirt, again go over at least 2 times.

6. Apply dressings and Crome polishes once the engine bay has been dried and sat for at least 2 hours.

GSKR
06-03-2016, 06:04 AM
If the customer wants it done I would have him sign an agreement stating you the detailer is not responsible for incurred damage.No amount of money is worth the hassle or promblems associated with wetting a engine.promblems don't always happen right then and there.He can call you a month from now and blame you.I wouldn't do it,but if you need the cash cover yourself more than likely he won't sign a waiver.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-03-2016, 06:10 AM
If the customer wants it done I would have them sign an agreement stating you the detailer are not responsible for incurred damage. No amount of money is worth the hassle or promblems associated with wetting a engine. Problems don't always happen right then and there. He can call you a month from now and blame you. I wouldn't do it, but if you need the cash cover yourself. More than likely they won't sign a waiver.

Great advice. :xyxthumbs:

Gave it a minor proof-read/edit.