PDA

View Full Version : Correcting individual panels at a time advice..

Pages : [1] 2 3

idriveblackcars
06-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Looking for some advice and best practices as to approach this. My co worker who isn't really into detailing but likes his car to look shinny bought some shampoo, sealant and wax online. A few months ago I told him I would polish the car for nothing( I'm not a pro so I like to work on anything I can get my hands on). I machine polish my own car waay to much anyways.

Its a 2012 CC Fontana red, but with my crazy work schedule and him not wanting to spend an entire day on his car he decided to go ahead and use the sealant and then wax without any paint correction.

Well after a wash or two he sees how bad the car looks in the sun lol, swirled to perfection. I want to at least do the hood for him, maybe the trunk lid just to show him what the entire car could look like.

I really don't want to strip the entire car and leave the parts I don't go over without any product etc. so what is the best approach to this??

Im far from a pro but own just about everything so I have the products to tackle most detailing jobs, and do it right for him. Just never did bits and pieces at a time while keeping the rest of the car unaffected if that makes sense. I know under normal conditions it isn't the most ideal situation, but I'm only getting a few hours here and there.

Thansk AG��

Edit: after thinking it over I just don't see it being possible as I wanted to completely decontaminate the vehicle with ironx etc. I guess I should just strip down the car, iron X it, and hopefully get to every panel before the summer is over and then seal her up at the very end.

irvsmith
06-01-2016, 06:14 PM
I have approached my XC90 the same way. I can't imagine finding a time to do the entire car in one day or two, what with a full time job and two young kids, and so I do it panel by panel when possible. I clay the panel that I am going to do and polish and reseal afterwards. If I have time to do another panel i do that. I finished four door panels this last weekend but did not get to the edges/remaining panels but it is one of my DD so I don't expect it to be 100%.

Looking for some advice and best practices as to approach this. My co worker who isn't really into detailing but likes his car to look shinny bought some shampoo, sealant and wax online. A few months ago I told him I would polish the car for nothing( I'm not a pro so I like to work on anything I can get my hands on). I machine polish my own car waay to much anyways.

Its a 2012 CC Fontana red, but with my crazy work schedule and him not wanting to spend an entire day on his car he decided to go ahead and use the sealant and then wax without any paint correction.

Well after a wash or two he sees how bad the car looks in the sun lol, swirled to perfection. I want to at least do the hood for him, maybe the trunk lid just to show him what the entire car could look like.

I really don't want to strip the entire car and leave the parts I don't go over without any product etc. so what is the best approach to this??

Im far from a pro but own just about everything so I have the products to tackle most detailing jobs, and do it right for him. Just never did bits and pieces at a time while keeping the rest of the car unaffected if that makes sense. I know under normal conditions it isn't the most ideal situation, but I'm only getting a few hours here and there.

Thansk AG��

Edit: after thinking it over I just don't see it being possible as I wanted to completely decontaminate the vehicle with ironx etc. I guess I should just strip down the car, iron X it, and hopefully get to every panel before the summer is over and then seal her up at the very end.

custmsprty
06-01-2016, 06:27 PM
The question to ask yourself is will the owner even attempt to keep it swirl free? In my experience the answer is no. And since the owner is balking at the time it would take to do the entire vehicle I'm doubling down on the fact that they won't keep it up. And doing it a panel at a time, most likely each time you get the vehicle the areas you did before will be some what swirled up again so by the time you get it all done you'll need to start over on the areas that weren't maintained properly. It has been my personal experience that the owners of the vehicles I have done love the finished product but aren't willing to invest the time and effort to keep it looking pristine or swirl free. It's just not a priority of an "obsession" with most car owners. We're the .5% percenters.

shadwell
06-01-2016, 06:35 PM
I see it playing out a couple of ways;
They invested in product so they care a bit..
They are unsure of the diffrence a full correction will make..
I would do for example the roof; 2 reasons.. they will see the difference and want the rest doing...
It won't look nearly as odd as having a swirled up body with a slick hood for example..

Once they see the beenfit they may well say, bugger it, lets get this done...... and you're away...

I had same challenge with family members cars.. but when they picked them up 8 hrs later they were blown away...

OR, they see the roof and go "meh" and they can just carry on slopping gloss on top and be happy enough.. you move on to someone who cares and appreciates the effort..

idriveblackcars
06-01-2016, 06:55 PM
I have no problems doing a quick maintence wash every other week for him, but I agree completely he probably just won't care.

I also have never just stripped a sealant from just one panel, I can strip and decon. an entire care but never have isolated just one panel without effected the others. I guess that is my main concern.

But I'm sure it's the same process as say touching up a scratched panel that needs to be machined?

custmsprty
06-01-2016, 06:57 PM
The polishing step will strip the sealant. Polish it, do a quick wipe down and reseal it.

I tested some Polish Angel products Sunday on my GC hood. It had CG Celeste D on it.

I polished with PA Final Polish, prepped with PA Glasscoat Invincible Primer and Coated with Glasscoat Cosmic.

These are all available at Autopia so they are open for discussion here.

Just sharing this with you since I only did the hood and left Celeste D on the rest of the vehicle for the time being. I'm taking the approach you mentioned above because it's so freaking hot down here now. And since it's a garage queen time is on my side.

idriveblackcars
06-01-2016, 07:01 PM
The polishing step will strip the sealant. Polish it, do a quick wipe down and reseal.

Good, that's the plan. Going to give it a few hours this Saturday. I'm not even going to over think this one like I usually do. Planning on using only Rupes yellow and white pads with Rupes liquids..smooth and easy. Since I'm only doing a little at a time a two step if needed is no biggie.

custmsprty
06-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Good, that's the plan. Going to give it a few hours this Saturday. I'm not even going to over think this one like I usually do. Planning on using only Rupes yellow and white pads with Rupes liquids..smooth and easy. Since I'm only doing a little at a time a two step if needed is no biggie.

That sounds like a good plan.

GSKR
06-01-2016, 07:46 PM
The question to ask yourself is will the owner even attempt to keep it swirl free? In my experience the answer is no. And since the owner is balking at the time it would take to do the entire vehicle I'm doubling down on the fact that they won't keep it up. And doing it a panel at a time, most likely each time you get the vehicle the areas you did before will be some what swirled up again so by the time you get it all done you'll need to start over on the areas that weren't maintained properly. It has been my personal experience that the owners of the vehicles I have done love the finished product but aren't willing to invest the time and effort to keep it looking pristine or swirl free. It's just not a priority of an "obsession" with most car owners. We're the .5% percenters.Bingo,I detailed a 2001 e320 today and the owner stated he runs it through the carwash.Having heard that from him,I decided to cut my time and used HD speed da spraywax done.

GSKR
06-01-2016, 07:50 PM

Thansk AG��

Edit: after thinking it over I just don't see it being possible as I wanted to completely decontaminate the vehicle with ironx etc. I guess I should just strip down the car, iron X it, and hopefully get to every panel before the summer is over and then seal her up at the very end.kinda a lot of work for nothing,how close of a friend is he besides a co worker.Its like you go outta your way for some people then you get screwed at the end.

AZpolisher15
06-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Might another option be to do the whole thing with a corrective AIO like HD Speed? And instead of aiming for 80% correction (and many hours), simply aim for 50%? You shine it up a little and lay down a little protection = a happy friend. If he decides he likes it, and decides he wants to maintain it, he can seal it again in a month with a more durable product (or you can do a 2nd Speed session to get it up to near perfect).

obihave12
06-01-2016, 08:12 PM
:iagree:

idriveblackcars
06-01-2016, 08:13 PM
all great advice and he is a pretty good buddy, known him about 10 years now. I don't own any HD products on hand, trying to use stuff I already have on hand.

I know I can get the paint perfect, and I'm most familiar with VW/Audi paint cause it's all really I ever owned it just takes soo damn long.

I don't think some people get how long paint correction can take, even with a modern machine like a Rupes.

GSKR
06-01-2016, 08:20 PM
I guess 10 years warrants a helping hand.for 14.99 get the speed and 6 microfiber cutting pads and be done with it.maybe at least let him pay for the speed and pads.

idriveblackcars
06-01-2016, 08:26 PM
I guess 10 years warrants a helping hand.for 14.99 get the speed and 6 microfiber cutting pads and be done with it.maybe at least let him pay for the speed and pads.

I have tons of pads, tons of microfiber pads Rupes,Meg's etc.. Just not speed. Maybe I should order some,I don't mind paying because I usually keep what ever I use. But if it's my first time with a product usually I test it on my own car first. Although he won't really care.