PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Paint Specs and Spatter?

danlnyc
06-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Hello, this is my first post here. I was referred to this forum by a friend who is a member here.

Basically I have no idea when or how but I ran over fresh paint (not sure what kind) that left paint specs and splatter all over the driver side of the vehicle that reaches even my rear bumper. It was all over my tires and it's still in my tire wells.

I'm looking for advice on how to remove it causing the least amount of damage. My fingernail works but it still leaves residue that I just cant seem to remove.

Is there any products that I should purchase to make this job easier?

LEDetailing
06-01-2016, 04:01 PM
You have what sounds like road paint on your tires, paint, and wheel wells. Paint thinner has worked for me in the past, to remove road paint. ***be careful when applying paint thinner to paint*** test an inconspicuous spot of your paint first. In the wheel wells a plastic razor blade works well too.

danlnyc
06-01-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm afraid to use paint thinner because I'm still an amateur detailer at best. I do not want to mess up and go through the clearcoat. I was hoping there would be a product that is safe on clear coat, yet strong enough to remove the paint

irvsmith
06-01-2016, 06:20 PM
I would start with some clay and quick detailer spray or clay lubricant. See how this does on an inconspicuous spot. Clay can mar the paint a little bit but in my book it is less of a risk than using a fingernail/paint thinner (no disrespect to LEDetailing). You might also try a diluted IPA solution.

Crispy
06-01-2016, 08:06 PM
It helps to know what kind of paint the spots are. If they are latex (most road paints are) then window washer fluid on a shop towel left to dwell for 2 minutes. If it's not latex then for me Clay and Detailer is least aggressive method. Mineral Spirits and plastic razor blade is next. If I have to use paint thinner then I put it on a shop towel and gently rub the spots ( only on fully cured paint). Last resort wet sand with 2000 grit and compound and polish. I usually hand compound and polish regardless.

GSKR
06-01-2016, 08:49 PM
It helps to know what kind of paint the spots are. If they are latex (most road paints are) then window washer fluid on a shop towel left to dwell for 2 minutes. If it's not latex then for me Clay and Detailer is least aggressive method. Mineral Spirits and plastic razor blade is next. If I have to use paint thinner then I put it on a shop towel and gently rub the spots ( only on fully cured paint). Last resort wet sand with 2000 grit and compound and polish. I usually hand compound and polish regardless.If he can remove it with his nail,more than likely its latex.

LEDetailing
06-01-2016, 09:23 PM
I would start with some clay and quick detailer spray or clay lubricant. See how this does on an inconspicuous spot. Clay can mar the paint a little bit but in my book it is less of a risk than using a fingernail/paint thinner (no disrespect to LEDetailing). You might also try a diluted IPA solution.

No disrespect taken, I actually agree with your method being a better starting point. I just have only ever dealt with really hard/old road paint. I used to detail at my dad's used car lot.

Mantilgh
06-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Hopefully it's just spilled latex, road paint is tough stuff. Alcohol would help if it is latex, washer fluid would substitute. Or try some Tarminator with some dwell time if that doesn't work.

danlnyc
06-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Updates: Meguiars claybar does not remove them. Some of the paint specs are dried hard enough that my fingernail is just causing scratches.

I took some compound and with a little bit of force from a microfiber towel, I was able to remove the paint specs off my car paint.

Used some polish + wax and it looks great.

However I still need to remove the paint that is under my wheel wells. It is everywhere and I checked underneath my car and it's worse sigh.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Welcome to AGO!

Medium grade detailing clay and clay lubricant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnH7hCe98Nc

LSNAutoDetailing
06-06-2016, 06:13 PM
Updates: Meguiars claybar does not remove them. Some of the paint specs are dried hard enough that my fingernail is just causing scratches.

I took some compound and with a little bit of force from a microfiber towel, I was able to remove the paint specs off my car paint.

Used some polish + wax and it looks great.

However I still need to remove the paint that is under my wheel wells. It is everywhere and I checked underneath my car and it's worse sigh.

Good that you got the paint off the car. What kind of Megs Clay??? There are different grades of clay. Mild or Fine clay will barely put a dent in it.
For the wheelweels you can try some mineral spirits. Test it in a spot that isn't visible...