PDA

View Full Version : What Compound to remove scratches?

RonAlv
06-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Pretty new to the forums here, but I am curious on what product to use to remove these types of scratches? I will be using a GG 6" polisher, and currently have GG orange pad. Or what setup and product would you recommend? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

custmsprty
06-01-2016, 01:14 PM
HD Cut and Follow up with HD Speed. Great products, easy to use and very affordable. You need at least 3 orange pads and 3 white pads. Buff & Shine 6 pack of pads would be a good value.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Hi Ron, welcome to AGO on-line! Also, thank you for your service!

That looks like a pretty deep scratch.. One thing when compounding a car is to have uniformity in appearance. Meaning, you don't want to just compound the scratch, you want to do the whole car for uniformity.

The best approach is to make sure you do proper surface prep, wash, iron-x decon, wash again, and clay. This will remove all the contaminants on the paint which will give a better surface for the compounds to work.

Secondly, you're going to want to apply the least aggressive approach. Meaning, you may want to start with a polishing pad and a lighter cut polish. Do your section passes and see how the paint looks. If it clears things up, you may be fine to do the rest of the car. If you need to move up, move up in the cut of the pad vs. product. then increase the cut of the product.

This is why most vendors make products in stepped cut... i.e.
Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish - a fine cut polish
Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover - a medium grade compound
Pinnacle Advanced Compound - a heavy cut DAT compound.

Or GG
BOSS Fast Correcting Cream
BOSS Correcting Cream
BOSS Finishing Polish

See a pattern here??? You may need more than one system... If your cut is too strong, you may need to go over it with a polish to remove marring caused by the heavier cut compound.

And at the end of the day, if you used the most aggressive method, and the scratch is still there, be prepared to accept it and walk away. Any attempts at further correction may lead to burning through the clear-coat (heat of the pad / machine must be taken into consideration). Be satisfied with about 70% correction.

RonAlv
06-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks paul_g for the info. Leaning towards the boss system, since I have used a few of their product and so far impressed with them. Getting more in depth on detailing, I certainly understand about starting out with the least aggressive compound and work from there. Being an enthusiast and certainly no professional detailer, maybe I should leave well enough alone?

VISITOR
06-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Leaning towards the boss system, since I have used a few of their product and so far impressed with them.

:)

VISITOR
06-01-2016, 02:56 PM
Leaning towards the boss system, since I have used a few of their product and so far impressed with them.

:dblthumb2:

Octopiston
06-01-2016, 03:07 PM
I've had good results from Meguiar's Ultimate compound. For me, it finished down like a polish. Its pretty inexpensive and easy to get.

Crispy
06-01-2016, 08:20 PM
First off I would only do the panel. Do a test spot on half the scratch. Put a piece of tape down the middle. Next put magic marker on the scratch (this will tell you when you have removed most of the defect). I would do the compounding by hand but definitely not just on the scratch. Once satisfied finish up other side same way.